Moto Z and Moto Z Force - perfect candidates for a high end DAC/AMP
Sep 4, 2016 at 11:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

mangamonster

100+ Head-Fier
I'm finding it hard to believe that a 3rd party hasn't developed a Moto Mod dac/amp yet for the Moto X line of modular phones. The new Moto Z and Moto Z Force phones are perfect candidates to do this. Or, perhaps I'm behind the times.

Anyone know of any rumors or new about a dac/amp being build as a Moto Mod for these modular phones?

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 54
I wish they would release something like this. 

I bought a FiiO K1 without researching, hoping it would work, and it doesn't.  With Hiby music I get 10 seconds of great audio then it cuts out.  Removing and reinserting results in the same thing.  Poweramp is flakier.  

Along the same lines, is anyone using an external DAC successfully with the Droid Z / Force Z.  If so, I'd love to know, because I don't mind spending more money if I know it's going to work.  

Or if anyone has any tips for getting the K1 to work.  I've tried everything I can think of.

Nov 14, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 54
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least iBasso will not make a DAC for the Moto Z. I sent them an email:

Hi iBasso Team,

I just learned about the Moto Z smartphone and that Motorola allows people to build and certify mods for the Moto Z. My question is: do you have any plans to make a DAC+Amp as a Moto mod? Because if you haven't, it'd be a great way to give smartphones that much-needed audio quality. I use a D-Zero USB DAC, and having one of those as a Moto mod would honestly be a dream come true.

Hope you guys give it a serious thought. And thanks for listening.

and this was the answer:

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
I don't think we would make a module for this smartphone if a certificate from Moto is needed.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

:frowning2:

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 54
I'd love to see something like this. My new Moto Z Play has a headphone jack, unlike the other Z's, but it's a big step down from my V10. Maybe if these phones prove to be good sellers and Motorola follows up next year companies will see that they're here to stay and worth designing something for 

Nov 15, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 54
I've got a Moto Z Play and a Fiio E18.

I ordered 2 Incipio, 2 piece cases and stuck the amp/DAC onto the back of the hard shell with the 3M removable double sided tape that they use for wall hooks.

When popped on, it's a great fit and nicely secure, without the annoying rubber bands.

I would LOVE a proper Moto mod amp/dac for the Z, but I'm not holding my breath. I do find that the phone sounds pretty great straight out of the headphone jack on my RHA MA750s.

We can hope! I expect if anyone does it, it will be someone like Fiio.

What I'd desperately like is a USB C to micro USB cable with a right angle at the C end. Using a micro USB cable with adapter sucks. It sticks out way too far.

Jeff C

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 54
  https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/5ioftt/moto_z_possible_new_mods_include_a_gamepad_a/

Exactly what the Moto Z line needs. I hope they bring it to market, I'd buy one in a second

Jan 9, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 54
Don't worry friends. The future is coming to the Z!
beerchug.gif

I will post more on Head-Fi when I know more.

Robert
NA

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #11 of 54
Yeah I was going for intrigue..
No need to be cryptic, we're working on one. No frills, no magic potion. Just excellent hardware added on to an amazing phone.
I'll link on head-fi ASAP, Motorola made it pretty difficult so give me time!

Jan 10, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 54
Yeah I was going for intrigue..
No need to be cryptic, we're working on one. No frills, no magic potion. Just excellent hardware added on to an amazing phone.
I'll link on head-fi ASAP, Motorola made it pretty difficult so give me time!

Can't wait to hear more

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #13 of 54
Has anyone tried a fiio q1 with the moto Z Play droid?

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 54
Haven't tried the Q1.  I tried the K1, couldn't get it to work, would get a bit of nice audio then it would cut out after a second or two.  Didn't want to spend the money on a Q1 to find it didn't work either.  I'm just hoping they come out with a moto mod at this point.  I switched to using fiio x1 to listen to music.  If you try a Q1 and get it to work please let us know, and which exact USB OTG cable you used because those things are just flaky and hard to find one that works.  If there are any updates on a moto mod please let us know, would save me the hassle of carrying around a separate music player.

Feb 14, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #15 of 54

Moto Mod Updates - Techy Stuffs

Moto Z is turning out to be an awesome platform, No More Rubberbands! No More Adapters!

I've finished the power supply design! Doesn't sound super exciting, but it is!
I have clean +/- 5 Volt rails. I am working on selecting DACs from a pool. I have it narrowed to two, for two separate models I am making.
One will be used for the simplicity and cost - PCM5142
The other will be used when I get more time to  really look into high bitrates/depths - AKM4490EQ

The I2S audio is being provided by the development kits that Motorola put together, claims to be up to 192kHz/24Bits. The PCM5142 version will be running 96kHz and 16bits. I think that will be more than adequate for mobile listening and honestly my design skills would be hard pressed to get better than 12.5ENOB at any bitrate. In the future, this thing will be update-able, as all good amps are these days. (even the firmware is OTA update-able).

Updates - Background and Stuffs

All the above is very exciting but let me lay something on here for clarity; Indiegogo.

Indiegogo and Motorola partnered up to do this https://enterprise.indiegogo.com/motomods/
It is a really great opportunity because it unleashes the power of the Motorola Design peeps onto the world of specificity like headphone amps, glucose meters and other cool things. I won this challenge by submitting my design of the headphone amplifier, they sent me a bunch of cool hardware to get going and here we are. In return, I will use Indiegogo to help start up the project.
I am SUPER excited, and largely terrified because even though I have some (limited) background in EE and CS, it won't prepare me to actually make a product. This will be something that will unfold with time.

There is a common feeling that crowd funding is not a great idea. I have to agree for various reasons.
  • I feel that crowd funding puts the word out too soon. This puts pressure on me to get this thing in a box and to your door... pressure is not a good thing.
  • I feel that crowd funding creates a false mask of crowd-designing. This is not the case here. While I will be reaching out on forums like this one, the design and all aspects of it are my own and not reallllly open for funders to push me into a box.
There are others but nevertheless I will raise money starting on Indiegogo; it is a great way to spread the word. I would like to sell to forum-ers because I can get some rapid feedback. 
I don't intend on making a USB Headphone amp, that space is all jammed up.

I will update this thread when I switch on the Indiegogo campaign (after I get the prototype working). Should be before the end of February!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back