Motion Tracking Webcams
Aug 20, 2010 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

earthpeople

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone know of a good webcam that will follow movements? For instance, if I'm walking around in my room, the webcam would follow me from one end to the other.

It doesn't need to be anything special, just solidly built and reliable. I'm currently using Dorgem with a stationary cam to keep an eye on my room when I'm out, but a tracking one would be much better.

I searched for some, but I wasn't able to find any with substantial reviews. In fact, most of them seem to be rebadges of the same design.

Thanks for any help!

Aug 22, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 7
Its in the software, but ATI can use movement to begin recording, and you can isolate part of the frame to exclude some movement, but nothing that will make a camera track.

Aug 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 7
If you want a webcam that will activate a motor/servo/etc to physically move the field of view around and track moving objects, that might take some searching, or some cash.  If you are content to find a wide-angle webcam and have it start recording when there is motion, that is pretty easy...and if all you care about is room security monitoring, this is more than sufficient.  Do you know about OpenCV?

Aug 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 7
I was initially looking for a webcam that would physically move to point at moving objects in my room, but I was unable to find any solid reviews for most of them. There was one by Logitech that cost around $100 with a lot of reviews, but they were mixed and many mentioned the motor going bad after only a few uses.

I think I'll just have to consider some adjustments to my room layout. I'll take a look into some wide-angle cams and look into the software you guys mentioned. I may just keep Dorgem, because still pictures are probably sufficient and it takes less space to store.

Thanks for the help though, guys!

Aug 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 7
It seems to be a device like that could be fooled by a drone object such as a R/C car, and have it's FOV drawn away from an area the real intruder wants access to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back