...motion...sickness...
Dec 23, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by carmatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its as if my ears are existing in a seperate reality... this discord between my sense of hearing and my sense of touch and sight is quite staggering

This is the tipoff that it might be more than a simple inner-ear problem. This is classic depersonalization, and it's a symptom of several neurological and psychiatric conditions, one of which is a simple partial seizure.

I actually do study neuroscience and I'm going into psychiatry, so I think I have at least a little authority in these matters. As I said before, I don't think it's inherently dangerous, and it may just continue to be an odd nuisance, or it might resolve itself altogether. But there's no harm in also getting the opinion of a licensed physician.

EDIT: By the by, I also studied Aerospace Engineering at one point. Embry Riddle, maybe we've met?

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonnybobiche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the tipoff that it might be more than a simple inner-ear problem. This is classic depersonalization, and it's a symptom of several neurological and psychiatric conditions, one of which is a simple partial seizure.

I actually do study neuroscience and I'm going into psychiatry, so I think I have at least a little authority in these matters. As I said before, I don't think it's inherently dangerous, and it may just continue to be an odd nuisance, or it might resolve itself altogether. But there's no harm in also getting the opinion of a licensed physician.

EDIT: By the by, I also studied Aerospace Engineering at one point. Embry Riddle, maybe we've met?

I actually attend Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in California as a senior. Controls was one of my least favorite classes, but studying audio in my free time has greatly bolstered my understanding of gain and Bode plots.

I was not discounting your knowledge or your input, but rather discouraging the fear factor that might result from using terms such as "seizure". Your intent was to educate; I understand this. However, the primary discussion concerned the notion of motion sickness resulting from listening to IEMs or headphones, for which a vast majority of instances would result from disequilibrium. Perhaps select cases, as in the individual you quoted, may be worthy of seeking further advice from a physician, but such a cause would remain in the minority. As one who studies psychiatry, I would imagine you understand a mindset predisposed to hyperbole. In other words, you offer a possible extreme conclusion, to acknowledge a "worst case", and that becomes accepted as the cause.

People who are experiencing a physiological problem may think rashly, and I would like to ensure they employ a logical thought process before assuming their apparent defects act beyond both an actual and psychological level. Of course, a periodic physical is vital to ensuring health maintenance, so if you remain concerned about changes on your body while listening to a sound reproduction device, you should clarify those concerns.

However, if you are having physical problems beyond simple disequilibrium or motion sickness, I would recommend exercising caution in operation of any complex device, such as an automobile. A seizure should not be isolated to a a single action in a single environment, if that were the cause.

As for the previous comment regarding a car that changes altitude, I appreciate the supportive retort, as it restores my confidence that some people exercise logical thinking, or as I like to refer to it: common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back