Motherboard recommendations?
Jan 29, 2006 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sumone

100+ Head-Fier
I recently started looking only for a quieter CPU fan but then I read some product descriptions and thought that I should just upgrade my mobo.

I don't need much. ALL I'm looking for is a motherboard. Not upgrading any memory, drives, etc...just CPU & mobo.

Minimum requirements are:
- 266mhz+ fsb
- atx form factor
- onboard graphics (not a gamer nor do I care about videos in general)
- onboard ethernet 10/100
- usb 2.0 (4+ ports)
- quiet cpu fan
- cpu 1.5ghz+

This is my current motherboard. The only real shortcomings of this is 1) loud cpu fan, 2) no game controller (this is for MIDI), 3) since only 3 pci-slots (micro-atx), I have to swap cards a lot. Max budget is $100 shipped (the price I paid on my current mobo).

P.S. Only special use for this computer (aside from normal Office / Internet / etc.) is I do a little sound recording in my room. Nothing professional (commercially & sonic-wise), just guys that do rap/hip-hop. I record with an SBLive! so that says a lot about the (poor) recording quality!

Thanks

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 12
the CPU fan doesn't really have anythign to do with the mobo, other than if the mobo has the 4 mounting holes around the socket.

since you probably don't overclock, and you don't care about games or video stuff, any board from a big name (DFI, Asus, Abit, Epox...etc) will do fine. just make sure your case is big enough to accept standard ATX and that the board has the 4 mounting holes mentioned above, because big, quiet heatsinks must use those holes.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
the CPU fan doesn't really have anythign to do with the mobo, other than if the mobo has the 4 mounting holes around the socket.

since you probably don't overclock, and you don't care about games or video stuff, any board from a big name (DFI, Asus, Abit, Epox...etc) will do fine. just make sure your case is big enough to accept standard ATX and that the board has the 4 mounting holes mentioned above, because big, quiet heatsinks must use those holes.

Right, I initially was only looking for a socket a CPU fan on eBay. But based on my search, motherboard results popped up & just took a look at 'em and now I feel like upgrading.

Yea I have an ATX form factor case & everything else.

Jan 30, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #4 of 12
It seems as though most boards with onboard video are microatx, however I found these on newegg that may fit your description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135215
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186086
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135191

Pair it up with a cheap socket 939 A64 for ~$100 (might have to look for used) and you're golden.

When looking for a quiet heatsinkfan, I'd suggest the Scythe Ninja or the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. The former can be used without a fan (for maximum quietness!) and the latter is one of the best coolers around that can use quiet fans.

Jan 30, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
just make sure your case is big enough to accept standard ATX and that the board has the 4 mounting holes mentioned above, because big, quiet heatsinks must use those holes.

In my experience, the bigger the heatsink, the louder it is. Most newer CPU's come with their own heatsink and I've always found them to work great.

JD

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 12
56-140-021-02.JPG

Aopen EX761 - $189

OK, so it isn't "just" a motherboard, but it is a killer barebones system!

Feb 1, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_baseball_08
In my experience, the bigger the heatsink, the louder it is. Most newer CPU's come with their own heatsink and I've always found them to work great.

well, thats just your experience and frankly it isn't true. big heatsink, means more more surface area, which means less direct airflow needed compared to a smaller 'sink with less surface area. heatsinks are only as loud as the fans you put on them....

Feb 1, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 12
DO NOT BUY AN ASUS!!!!! I have both the P4C800 dlx and the P4P800 E dlx and they have given me nothing but problems, they won't let me hook up hds that are more than 137gb via the pci slot even though I have SP2 and also they constantly freeze up on me, I even had to have one replaced. Two new computers though, one for gaming, one for music and video, both equipped with Gigabyte GA-8N SLI Quad Royals and they are absolutely wonderful. I have a 3.8 P4 extreme, 4 gb ram with option to expand to 8, 2 maxtor 500gb, 1 37gb 10000rpm, and it all runs seamlessly you couldn't ask for a better motherboard. If you do buy one you should check out Newegg their customer service is wonderful and their shipping is lightning fast, but I wouldn't recommend installing them yourself since it is a major pain the arse.

Feb 1, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
DO NOT BUY AN ASUS!!!!!

this is just a dumb comment. everyone has their brand preferences and a company who produces millions of mobos obviously will have one or two that are DOA. i could say the same about Albatron, but i'm not going to because there are plenty of people who would vouch for that company. same goes for asus.

Feb 9, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 12
I've had better luck with Asus than most other brands, especially if you enjoy tweaking. DFI is also a reasonable performer that is very competitively priced as compared to Asus.

Abit is the brand I've had trouble with. Two different boards, bought more than a year apart, developed swollen, leaky capacitors. I know that's not unheard of, but it strikes me as odd that the only two times it's happened to me were both with Abit mobos. I've built probably 40 PCs in the last five years, so have used several brands.

Supermicro is my all-time favorite mobo, but is mainly for server and workstation apps. The do have more and more reasonably-priced motherboards for personal use, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back