Motherboard: Gigabyte Sniper.M5 or Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact for best onboard soundcard?
Jul 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

mystvearn

New Head-Fier
Which motherboard should I go with? The Gigabyte has a creative sound card. The ROG has a supreme impact sound card. I can't find details of the Creative chip on Gigabyte's website. Also I don't know what is the Asus codec. Maybe a Xonar or a Realtek-ALC codec?

Thanks for the feedback. 

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 25
Asus doesn't use xonar on its motherboards

Jul 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:
Which motherboard should I go with? The Gigabyte has a creative sound card. The ROG has a supreme impact sound card. I can't find details of the Creative chip on Gigabyte's website. Also I don't know what is the Asus codec. Maybe a Xonar or a Realtek-ALC codec?

The Gigabyte Sniper M5 appear to use the SoundCore3D audio processor and the Recon3D software
You never really see Creative fans recommending the Recon3D

The Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact is so new I can not find details on it.
But I'm guessing it uses a Realtek chip.

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 25
Quote:
The Gigabyte Sniper M5 appear to use the SoundCore3D audio processor and the Recon3D software
You never really see Creative fans recommending the Recon3D

The Asus ROG Maximus VI Impact is so new I can find details on it.
But I'm guessing it uses a Realtek chip.

I see. I did not know that. Thanks for the reply. Might as well wait for the Asus.

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #6 of 25
Neither of the above.

If it were one of Gigabyte's older G1 motherboards with an X-Fi CA20K2 on-board, like the G1.Assassin 2 or G1.Sniper 1.0, then I might have to reconsider.

Personally, I'd rather have them not waste precious motherboard and rear I/O space with integrated audio to begin with.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:
Neither of the above.

If it were one of Gigabyte's older G1 motherboards with an X-Fi CA20K2 on-board, like the G1.Assassin 2 or G1.Sniper 1.0, then I might have to reconsider.

Personally, I'd rather have them not waste precious motherboard and rear I/O space with integrated audio to begin with.

Thanks about that. Any recommendations for socket 1150?

Jul 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

+1 Actually TS what is this rig used for? Even with gaming on the cards unless you are doing triple monitors, etc there are some really powerful single GPUs out there and you might not need pricey high end boards with SLI/CF, etc and channel funds towards a discrete sound card or DAC which would net you better SQ with decent cans/speakers...

Jul 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

I really know very little about Intel chip sets, but it looks like you could get a slightly older model socket 1150 motherboard for under $150 and spend the savings on a add-on sound card, Sound Blaster Z is $80.

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 25
 +1 Actually TS what is this rig used for? Even with gaming on the cards unless you are doing triple monitors, etc there are some really powerful single GPUs out there and you might not need pricey high end boards with SLI/CF, etc and channel funds towards a discrete sound card or DAC which would net you better SQ with decent cans/speakers...

You couldddd cheap out for the mid-level Asus boards to save money to go towards a dedicated DAC, which IMO would be far superior to an on board amp (I believe the asus provides a DAC and amp).

But I'd still go with the ROG Max 6, a K-series intel chip, liquid cooling, and overclock that mother with dual SLI's... Motherboards/cases last a long time. My rig worth $2500 will last me sufficiently for 5+ years, making that a $350-500/yr investment.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 25

The only reason I didn't have any LGA1155 or LGA1150 recommendations was simply that those G1 boards are all Sound Core3D-based, likely because Creative isn't selling X-Fi CA20K2s anymore.

Again, I'd rather just set an expansion card slot aside for a sound card. I don't consider SLI or CrossFire beyond two cards anyway, leaving three slots free on a typical full ATX board.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

I want to build a HTPC/Steambox/Gaming PC/Work PC with the lowest TDP without sacrificing performance. I need low TDP as my ambient temp is between 26-36C throughout the year. It will be connected to at least 1 1080p TV with an additional one standard desktop monitor 1080p monitor. Gaming on the TV monitor. Work on the standard monitor. Games via steam/cd with xbox 360 wired controllers with steam big picture . If the PC is placed in the room, then the ambient will shoot up. I am not going to OC the PC as I need to control the temperature. Most demanding game I have is XCOM:EU. Most demanding software I have is Adobe CS6.

CPU: intel haswell i5/i3
GPU: 770 or 760 GTX
Case: Silverstone TJ08-E or Bitfenix Prodigy
Motherboard: Need help here. I have narrowed down my choices to either mini-itx Asus Z-87i-deluxe or Asus ROG Maximus impact VI (for prodigy/TJ08-E). The Silverstone can accept macro-ATX boards. Hence where the Gigabyte board comes in with its build in Creative sound card. Built in wifi is nice as I don't need to install a separate card. Additional cards = more power needed and higher temps as it restrict cool airflow to the GPU. I don't want a ATX/full tower as it will look out of place next to the TV, hence the all in one solution. The Prodigy will look out of place next to the TV.

Needs to connect to Hi-fi. TV and PS3. TV needs to be able to connect to the hifi/pc for sound output.

PC input:
From the TV via mic/line in jack.

TV Sound. Have not figured out how this will come in. Previously I had a Gigabyte EP43-DS3L motherboard that had a optional S/PDIF input. I just took the cable from the TV and hooked it to the motherboard which then sends the sound to the speakers. I may use the AUX jack for the TV. TV sound will go directly to the PC so that only one connection goes from the PC to the speakers.

PC output:
work Monitor-DVI
TV-HDMI
Hifi Speakers.

Hifi input:
has one AUX jack with the L/R channel jack. One mic in 3.5mm jack

PS3 goes directly to the TV via HDMI.

All sound is handled by the Hifi speakers through the AUX jack coming from the PC. No additional connections to the Hifi.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
You couldddd cheap out for the mid-level Asus boards to save money to go towards a dedicated DAC, which IMO would be far superior to an on board amp (I believe the asus provides a DAC and amp).

But I'd still go with the ROG Max 6, a K-series intel chip, liquid cooling, and overclock that mother with dual SLI's... Motherboards/cases last a long time. My rig worth $2500 will last me sufficiently for 5+ years, making that a $350-500/yr investment.

Unfortunately I am not building a high end pc. Also, if you read tom's hardware article, it is kind of pointless going with a K series CPU for gaming. It comes down to the the PCI3.0 slot.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6985/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-at-1440p-adding-in-haswell-/9. I might as well allocate that money to the GPU/motherboard.

Quote:
The only reason I didn't have any LGA1155 or LGA1150 recommendations was simply that those G1 boards are all Sound Core3D-based, likely because Creative isn't selling X-Fi CA20K2s anymore.

Again, I'd rather just set an expansion card slot aside for a sound card. I don't consider SLI or CrossFire beyond two cards anyway, leaving three slots free on a typical full ATX board.

I see. However, haswell chips have lower TDP while maintaining performance. Another thing is that even though I can source a new G1 board, the board may be a few years old now and there will be unavoidable degradation in the capacitors of the motherboard. It will be costly to replace the parts.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 25
I would say Asrock Extreme4 or 6 with the Realtek ALC1150 with two TI NE5532 preamps for 115dB SNR http://www.asrock.com/news/?cat=News&id=1263

I have an Z87 Extreme6 on the way, I never liked "Creative-wannabe" onboard chips and prefer the best Realtek chip. Will share my opinions when it arrives, should be later this week.

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:
I would say Asrock Extreme4 or 6 with the Realtek ALC1150 with two TI NE5532 preamps for 115dB SNR http://www.asrock.com/news/?cat=News&id=1263

I have an Z87 Extreme6 on the way, I never liked "Creative-wannabe" onboard chips and prefer the best Realtek chip. Will share my opinions when it arrives, should be later this week.

Thanks. Please let us know. Asus Z87 boards all come with ALC1150.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Thanks. Please let us know. Asus Z87 boards all come with ALC1150.

I believe on ASUS boards it's rated 112 or 113dB SNR due to not using the preamps or different preamps in that case. But yea the DAC should still be the same but yea the sound-quality wise might not be the same. ASrock Extreme4 and 6 boards offer the best bang-for-buck this time around IMO if looking at features vs cost, followed closely by MSI GD45 and GD65 Gaming which also features ALC1150 chipset. ASUS boards were too expensive in my eyes this time around (it's like you pay 20-$30 for the brand alone, screw that).

I've also ordered i5-4670K, 16GB DDR3-1866 9-10-9-28 RAM, Samsung Pro 840 128GB SSD, GTX 760 2GB and planning to overclock the CPU & GPU as far as possible. :)

EDIT: Seems only ASRock boards has 115dB SNR rating so yea they use a bit better quality preamps than the other boards. (these particular preamps are cheap but they perform well for the cost).

There is always http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20OC%20Formulaac/ if you want a bit better board

Users who are viewing this thread

Back