Moth Si2A3: I caved!
Jan 1, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #16 of 27
Are those Oris horns??? WOW! Looks like a Moth Si2A3 amp in the photo as well.

The Princess sounded (no pun intended, haven't heard it yet) like just what I was looking for. I really would rather not roll tubes, but just start out with the best. Then there is not mush reason to roll. Now that I've ordered it I'm going to go crazy waiting for this amp to arrive.

How much do those horn speakers cost?

My thought right now is to go with Cicada's when they become available again, and have them modded internally as a few on audioasylum have done, and externally by removing the spooky moth on the front and painting them with a nice piano black laquer to match my TT.

Quote:

Congrats, kentamcolin, very cool, we've all been dieing to know about this baby! What headphones/source/cabling will you be using with it? (If it's not too rude, might one enquire about pricing?)

Forgot to mention sources:

CDP is Adcom GCD750 with Homegrown Audio Silver Lace cables.
For vinyl I have a VPI HW19MK3, EAR 834 phono stage.

Jan 1, 2004 at 10:24 AM Post #17 of 27
An amp of the Si2A3's quality has a lot of headroom to exploit... especially if the Princess tube version is as good as it is reputed to be. If you're spending that kind of green on premium amplification + tubes, you should hear what it can really do, ESPECIALLY since you are into vinyl. Oris + tubes + vinyl is insane.

The cicadas are easily the best full-range speakers in their price range, but at $700/pair they are probably way outclassed by your nearly 3K amp+tube setup. This might be perfectly OK if headphone listening will be your primary source of joy. If not... you'll need about $2500 more to go the Oris route.

Oris isn't cheap, but it's still way cheaper than a pair of Avantgarde horns at $20,000/pair. I've heard from people who have auditioned both and they usually prefer the Oris. This makes me happy.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2004 at 2:16 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin

My thought right now is to go with Cicada's when they become available again, and have them modded internally as a few on audioasylum have done, and externally by removing the spooky moth on the front and painting them with a nice piano black laquer to match my TT.

They come in different colors, I am sure you can get them black, just ask and I like the moths
biggrin.gif
maybe you can mail them to me after you take them off, if you buy those speakers
biggrin.gif

cicada.jpg

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin.../coolaudio.htm

Jan 1, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #19 of 27
Oooh, I do like the black way better than the red.

As for the Oris horns, they're kits, right? Or is $2,500 a fully assembled price. If they are kits, what is involved in building them (ie. carpentry, soldering, frustration)? BTW, I think they look just awesome!

Edit: Just looked on the Welborne Labs site. I really like the look with the CABAZ bass cabinets. I think I'll see first how my current speakers sound, then maybe get Cicada's for a while (like a few years!) until I save enough for the Oris'.

Most of the time I'm listening to speakers I'm doing something else as well. So Headphones are probably the priority right now for critical listening.

Jan 1, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #20 of 27
The Cicadas were just reviewed in a 3-way horn comparo in Stereophile. For a small room with a fixed listening chair, this must be the way to go!

Jan 1, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #21 of 27
Of course your review will have to be accompanied by some pictures. Lots of pictures. Insides too, would be nice, if your so inclined.
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #22 of 27
Yes, I'll take photos, and I'll try to get the amp to as many Head-fi meets as possible. I'd like as many of you as possible to hear it.

Boy, January is going to be a looooooong month waiting for this.

Jan 2, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by mikepittarelli
I had a Cary SLI-80. Used it with
HD600s + Cardas cable. It wasn't so
great. Followed it with an Emmeline HR-2 and an MPX3, both of which were/are much more detailed and pleasant sounding.

Mike,

This is an extremely surprising comment, at least to me. The Cary SLI-80 Signature is one of the most respected higher end head amps out there, and is the personal choice, with his HD600's, of Kevin Deal, the owner and guru of Upscale Audio one of the better known high end audio stores in the U.S. He carrys many, many ultra high end brands, has the choice of any of those, and even prefers this combo to the ASL Twinhead Mk II, an amplifier that many think to be the best head amp in the world.
I also own an SLI-80 and find it to be a superb amplifier with every can I have tried it with, granted, individual tastes vary, of course. I have listened extensively to the Emmeline HR2, and am a huge fan of Ray's amps, including it, but this is an extremely "solid state" design in terms of sound, and is completely different in sound from a tube amp. Its nowhere near as warm and liquid as a good tube amp, nor, is it intended to be, of course.
Mikhail's MPX3 is a tremendous value, and again, I am a big supporter of his amps, but again, I find it to be at a different level than the Cary.
Certainly, I'm glad that you've found something you feel sounds better to your tastes, I am only commenting on my surprise at your findings. What source were you using? I had to almost immediately upgrade my sources to an SACD Mods Sony C555ES "Hot Rod" since the SLI-80 made my previous sources incredibly inadequate and limited the sound quality available to a major extent.
I have yet to audition my SLI-80 Sig for anyone who wasnt extremely impressed, and several members here own them and find them to be an exceptional amplifier. Most would rate it as one of the very top headamps available.
Again, your mileage may vary.

JC

Jan 2, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #24 of 27
kentamcolin,

Please dont construe my comments to Mikepittarelli, in defense of the Cary as in any way a knock on your purchase of the Moth. I certainly meant to also congratulate you on your purchase of the Si2A3. Only a while back, I posted, again, about what a shame it was that not a single Head-Fi member had ever even heard it, much less owned one. From all I have read, the workmanship on it is incredible, the sound remarkable, and it should be a superb amplifier for you, especially in the manner you are having them modify it to use with those amazing Sophia tubes.
I nearly purchased one myself last June, but finally decided on the Cary after talking to several Head-Fi members, and Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio. They all raved about the Cary, but no one at Head-Fi had ever even heard the Moth, so I had less to go on in this elevated price range.
I've been fascinated with the Moth for a long while though, and would love to hear your comments about it once its arrived and you've had the chance to listen. And bringing the TubeRoller into the review process is the best choice you could have made. I have immense respect for Fred's ears, and his knowledge of head amplifers and cans is unquestionably at GURU level.
I hope that you can make it to the next Michigan meet with the Moth too, as I would truly like to hear it myself one day. Great purchase, and keep us posted.

JC

Jan 2, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #25 of 27
Nightfall,

I never took your comments as a knock against the Moth purchase at all. As you said, to each his own, and I can't imagine the Cary SLI-80 not sounding fabulous. Perhaps it is the "tube" sound that most of us love that some don't care for. Ray Samuels amps are certainly good, the best SS my ears have heard (and his "Stealth" tube amp is sure to be awesome). I have heard a few of the Cary amps thru speakers and they are wonderful, and it probably would have been the "safe" bet for me. The Moth intriqued me, especially with the princess tube option and I don't feel I'm taking to much of a chance with it. Thanks for your comments, and a road trip to Michigan is a definite possibility.

Jan 3, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #26 of 27
Thanks for taking it in the spirit I meant it. I was only concerned because I truly wanted to applaud your purchasing of the Moth. You were simply braver than the rest of us, and I truly hope that you have uncovered the great lost mystery amp that all of us will be forced to find a way to own. Everything says you have that chance.
As I've noted before, I believe that offspring of the Keebler elves make these amps in a hollow tree somewhere, they could not possibly be more obscure. And, as you've likely noted, its been a good few years for elves. Now if they offer you swords too...........

JC

Quote:

Originally posted by kentamcolin
Nightfall,

I never took your comments as a knock against the Moth purchase at all. As you said, to each his own, and I can't imagine the Cary SLI-80 not sounding fabulous. Perhaps it is the "tube" sound that most of us love that some don't care for. Ray Samuels amps are certainly good, the best SS my ears have heard (and his "Stealth" tube amp is sure to be awesome). I have heard a few of the Cary amps thru speakers and they are wonderful, and it probably would have been the "safe" bet for me. The Moth intriqued me, especially with the princess tube option and I don't feel I'm taking to much of a chance with it. Thanks for your comments, and a road trip to Michigan is a definite possibility.

Jan 4, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #27 of 27
Congrats on the Moth Si2A3 with the Princess tubes. I have the Opera Cyber 30 2A3 amp to drive my HD600 and I like the 2A3 tubes a lot ! I have to say though that the 3W output of the 2A3 is not barely enough for the K1000's. The Sophia Princess would be better. I have the TJ PX-25 (equivalent to the Sophia PX-25). This is almost identical to the Sophia Princess in structure (same manufacturer too). Only difference is in the ratings, my PX-25 is 5V/1.6A versus the Princess at 5V/1.25A. I sue the pX-25 and 300B using my LadyDay+ monoblocks to drive my sepakers and K1000 while retaining the Cyber 30 for the HD600.
Well, what I want to say is that the PX-25 (and I expect the Princess) is truly a wonderful tube. To me it combines the best of the 2A3 and the 300B (which I have lots of tubes and experience too). I have not heard the 45 or 845 but the PX-25 has the mids of the 300B and the freq extension (both ends) of the 2A3 coupled with a fuller sound (whihc is why some people say it resembles the 845).
As for speakers to match the Moth, may I suggest you look at the Loth-X Aura (http://www.lothx.com/Speakers.htm) as an alternative to the Cicadas. Aura is a 98dB hornloaded speaker using FOSTEX drivers. Should be in the US$1K-1.5K range. Very smooth and balance with decent bass (better than on the smaller Lowthers and I am sure the Moth Cicada's).
Good luck with the new amp and let us know what speakers you go for eventually. I understand your priority is headphones (as was mine) but once I had a decent tube amp and efficient speakers, you realise that you are missing quite a bit from soundstage, space and lifesize imaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back