Most useless post
Nov 24, 2003 at 1:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bobjew

100+ Head-Fier
When you pull the power cord out of the wall or power conditioner, how long does your amp keep playing? My MPX3 plays with good fidelity for about 18 seconds with a fast degradation of the sound to nothing at 22 seconds.

Nov 24, 2003 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 15
I'm surprised at 18-22 seconds! I could understand how hot tubes could push a little, but...
confused.gif
What is the explanation--capacitance in big transformers?

Nov 24, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #5 of 15
The KGSS will continue to play for a good 5-7 seconds when I kill the power switch to it. Pretty amazing since it runs at some 580V biasing for the Stax cans. When I first got the amp the unmarked power switch threw me since I turned it off and nothing happened right away, so I turned it back. I ended up leaving the amp on for several days before trying the power switch again.

It seems all amps have enough electricity stored in their caps to power the outputs for a little while before dying off. It won't work with some since the outputs are killed when power is removed, I guess it depends upon the final output component before the headphone jack. The Mikhail amps are amazing things with their HUGE caps. I wonder how long a Supra will last when switched off?

Nov 24, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 15
My MG Head OTL keeps playing for about exactly 15 seconds (last 5 sec volume drops pretty quickly). I was pretty surprised at this when I got the amp, as I was not used to gear with a decent amount of power on tap (consumer gear).

-dd3mon

Nov 24, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 15
Heh, we always save the fun stuff for last eh? Last bay area meet it was the 963sa power cable rolling experiment. This time it's the How-long-will-the-amp-run-like-a-chicken-with-its-head-cut-off experiment...

Nov 24, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #12 of 15
My DIY tube amp kit will play for about 20-25 seconds after I cut the power, but that's because I redid the power supply section and put in some huge caps. Sound is perfect for the first 10 seconds, then it slowly drops off until the last few seconds where it takes a sudden dive. If I can find a way to keep the tubes warm I could probably get a few more seconds out of it.

My mint-tin mini Gilmore dies almost as soon as the power is cut, then again I got the PSU from a surplus store for $5 so I'm not expecting miracles.

Nov 25, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #13 of 15
The MOH(R) plays for 7 seconds, starts dropping, and is dead by 9 seconds.

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 15
I can see it now...Headphone geeks showing up with their ETA's written in white shoe polish on the side of their amps. Buying bigger and bigger capacitors to get more juice. Waiting as long as possible before pulling the plug to gain an edge on the opponent. Tuberoller wiring up a starter's "christmas tree" out of old red, yellow and green leds--remote control of course! Then a voice out of the heavens belts out...

"Sunday! At IndianAMPolis raceway park! The fastest amps on the planet! Bring the family and watch all the action!! (Please no coolers permitted inside the gates)"

biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:17 PM Post #15 of 15
My meta goes for about 35 seconds... even with doubled EL2002 buffers. The sound gets dicey at about 30 seconds though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back