Most quality-to-size effective bitrate
May 9, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 20
it would probably depend on your gear as well. As you scale up you'll probably start to find eg lame -v4 unexceptable so IMHO that "sweet spot" will keep changing as long as you keep upgrading your gear. Why don't u get an external HD, rip lossless, and rid yourself of this problem once 'n for all?
wink.gif

May 9, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #17 of 20
I used to rip everything to 160 AAC, until I started noticing slight imperfections in a small number of songs. Not wanting to spend hours upon hours trying to find the "perfect" encoding rate, I simply ripped everything to 320 AAC. Yes, it takes up a lot of space, and I'm certain I wouldn't be able to tell the difference vs 256 or even 192, but psychologically, I now no longer worry about "should I re-rip this song at a higher bitrate?"

The nice thing about having all my CDs in ALAC, is I can always re-encode at any bitrate with a few mouse clicks. Being the lazy SOB I am, I'd rather just buy a new iPod with a larger hard drive
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I usually use between -V4 and -V2, depending on the music and quality of recording.

+1

can't hear the difference on the move (and on my shuffle) anyways.. so might as well fit more tunes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back