Most powerful headphone amp for 380$ - which one?
Nov 21, 2018 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Head-Fier
Hello :)

I am looking for the most powerful headphone amplifier available in Europe (Preferably Denmark), costing no more than 380$.

Up until now, I have been meaning to buy the Emotiva BasX A-100, which functions as both a stereo- and headphone amplifier.

I would like for whatever unit I end up buying to be able to also power a pair of bookshelf speakers, and I haven't found a unit as versatile, powerful (Regarding the optional jumpers) and cheap as the A-100.

My idea with this purchase is bo buy "THE" headphone amplifier that I will not need to replace in cases other than malfunctioning or a new feature needed, found in another amplifier.

Are there any things I need to consider before making the purchase, or should I look elsewhere?

Best regards

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 12
First off what headphones are you intending to drive with new amp?

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 12
First off what headphones are you intending to drive with new amp?

In the nearest future, I am going to be driving the AKG K401 and the HifiMAN HE4XX - but before you stop me, and tell me that I don't need the most powerful headphone amplifier to drive those particular headphones, let me remind you that I'd like to be able to drive all my future headphones, whatever model. I'd prefer not having to buy more that 1 amp for maaany years to come :)

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 12
No I will not to tell you you don’t need a certain amount of power as I’m all about more power. The most for your price is another story. Ifi makes several that are very powerful but a Massdrop Liquid Carbon is one I would take a look at have the original and it it runs my Abyss without a problem so not bad for power hungry. Some might be more powerful but damn it does sound good. Just a thought and my opinion.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks you for your reply. I'd prefer to not buy from Massdrop, as there are some quite hefty import taxes. Also, if something were to break, returning the unit would be quite a hassle.

Nov 21, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 12
Just saying what I have and know or from what people I know. Ifi does make some powerful amps also have heard several but not all and all were decent.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 12

I am looking for the most powerful headphone amplifier available in Europe (Preferably Denmark), costing no more than 380$.

Up until now, I have been meaning to buy the Emotiva BasX A-100, which functions as both a stereo- and headphone amplifier.

I would like for whatever unit I end up buying to be able to also power a pair of bookshelf speakers, and I haven't found a unit as versatile, powerful (Regarding the optional jumpers) and cheap as the A-100.

My idea with this purchase is bo buy "THE" headphone amplifier that I will not need to replace in cases other than malfunctioning or a new feature needed, found in another amplifier.

Are there any things I need to consider before making the purchase, or should I look elsewhere?

Best regards
Have you bought the speakers yet?
I'm guessing the Emotiva BasX A-100 uses the same built in amplifer(s) to drive both the speakers and headphones.
And because of impedance issues, it might not be the best for driving lower impedance headphones.
I would suggest buying something like a Schiit Magni headphone amplifer and a separate (and basic) stereo speaker amplifer.
Connect the headphone amplifer's line-output (Magni 3) RCA jacks to the input (RCA?) on the speaker amplifier.

Nov 21, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #9 of 12
Have you bought the speakers yet?
I'm guessing the Emotiva BasX A-100 uses the same built in amplifer(s) to drive both the speakers and headphones.
And because of impedance issues, it might not be the best for driving lower impedance headphones.
I would suggest buying something like a Schiit Magni headphone amplifer and a separate (and basic) stereo speaker amplifer.
Connect the headphone amplifer's line-output (Magni 3) RCA jacks to the input (RCA?) on the speaker amplifier.

Hi, and thank you for your reply. I have the speakers. They are a pair of Mission 762i's, which I am planning to replace with something physically smaller - I will not be using the speakers much, but I still want the option.

About the setup you describe: I am currently using a SMSL SD793II as a DAC. Have I understood you correctly, if the following is the way to set it up:

DAC -> Magni 3 -> Speaker amplifier

If this setup can be avoided, I'd prefer to, as having 2 "boxes" (Dac + amp) on the desk versus 3 (DAC+ amp + amp) is much more appealing to me.

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Hi, and thank you for your reply. I have the speakers. They are a pair of Mission 762i's, which I am planning to replace with something physically smaller - I will not be using the speakers much, but I still want the option.

About the setup you describe: I am currently using a SMSL SD793II as a DAC. Have I understood you correctly, if the following is the way to set it up:

DAC -> Magni 3 -> Speaker amplifier

If this setup can be avoided, I'd prefer to, as having 2 "boxes" (Dac + amp) on the desk versus 3 (DAC+ amp + amp) is much more appealing to me.
Yea, DAC > Magni 3 > Speaker amplifier, is what I suggested.
Now i would suggest getting studio monitors (self powered speakers, JBL LSR305 or other) and connect them to the line-output (RCA) jacks on the back of the SMSL SD793II.
So with the studio monitors, there is no need for a separate speaker amplifer, taking up desk space.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jbl_lsr_305.htm?ref=search_prv_6

Nov 21, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Yea, DAC > Magni 3 > Speaker amplifier, is what I suggested.
Now i would suggest getting studio monitors (self powered speakers, JBL LSR305 or other) and connect them to the line-output (RCA) jacks on the back of the SMSL SD793II.
So with the studio monitors, there is no need for a separate speaker amplifer, taking up desk space.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jbl_lsr_305.htm?ref=search_prv_6

That was a good idea - thank you :)

Nov 22, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 12

Best regards

Look for a used NAD integrated amp. I think there are some with well over 100w per channel that you might be able to get for under $300, but make sure it has Speaker A and B output. Get converter cables so you can hook up the headphones to the B output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back