MOST OVERRATED
Jul 20, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #16 of 92
Well their new stuff isn't as good as their old. I'm sure you've heard Yankee Hotel recommended a million times, and Being There is a great album.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #18 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to get shot into tiny little meaty chunks for this but...
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, The Rolling Stones and Elvis.

Whilst I can understand you may not LIKE these bands, to say they're overrated is to misunderstand what they contributed to music, and your personal listening preferences shouldn't be confused with that.

Everything has a history and without most of these, then a lot of modern artists (some of whom you do like) may not have either got into music or taken the direction they did. Most of these were active in the 60s, which saw the biggest social and cultural upheavel in a single generation, in the past 100 years. It's why the various 'superannuation' tours of oldies do so well.

The Beatles were a pleasant teeny pop act that got druggy, edgy and political. In one way or another they influenced a generation of musicians that came after them.

Led Zep took blues and applied a sledgehammer to it. Without them, heavy metal would have happened very differntly, or much later. The Stones took the various strains of US blues into mainstream pop. Elvis helped morph the blues into Rock n Roll.

Motorhead specifically (& Black Sabbath more historically) spawned metal, thrash, death, speed and whatever other type of incoherent metal you can name. I hate that sort of extreme stuff, but grew up that stuff and went to motorhead gigs, and I can see what they helped create.

But, yes, with a lot of music these days, there is a large element of conveyor belt pop. But that has always been with us in one shape or form; there's just a larger market, and more mediums in which to flog it.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well their new stuff isn't as good as their old. I'm sure you've heard Yankee Hotel recommended a million times, and Being There is a great album.

Wilco without a doubt. Bought Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and listened to it many, many times. No thank you very much.

Bon Jovi. Fake Springsteen for people who can't tell the difference.

Janis Joplin (Oh, I'm in trouble now.) Great at her best, but too often a caterwauling parody of her influences.

Peter Gabriel. Mediocre vocals mired in relentlessly pretentious concepts, production, and attitude.

Eddie Van Halen (Now I'm in SERIOUS trouble.) Mindless, pointless noodling surrounded by a generic hair-band that never managed to find even a minimally decent singer.

Justin Timberlake. Letting this guy sing over Timbalind's production is the equivalent of letting a five-year-old attack Picasso's Guernica with a red crayon.

OK, if anyone needs me, I'll be in my back yard bomb shelter. With the hatch secured from the inside.

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:50 AM Post #21 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bon Jovi. Fake Springsteen for people who can't tell the difference..

I wouldn't rate them that highly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eddie Van Halen (Now I'm in SERIOUS trouble.) Mindless, pointless noodling surrounded by a generic hair-band that never managed to find even a minimally decent singer...

Great first album, with a minimally decent singer, and enjoyable, pointless noddling.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #22 of 92
Radiohead and similar "pop/rock for the thinking man" acts, men so thinking they even mistake it for progressive rock...it may be decent music, but criminally overrated.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #23 of 92
Although i like Michael Jackson & Maddona very much,i think they are a bit overrated.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #24 of 92
The Beatles may be overly famous, but they're not artistically over-rated......in my opinion you can't over-rate an artist who forever changed their medium.....

On this site I feel Pink Floyd is worshipped to an extent which makes me believe that soundscape and sonic sheen trumps songwriting to many audiophiles.

My overrated would have to be Santana (the band and the guitarist)...just don't get what's so great about his playing......not trying to sound foolish but I think I play circles around Santana and guitar isn't even my main instrument, I don't even think I'm all that great at it.

Most underrated: Dennis Wilson......maybe not the melodic genius of his older brother, but a genius songwriter and singer in my opinion......

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #25 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whilst I can understand you may not LIKE these bands, to say they're overrated is to misunderstand what they contributed to music, and your personal listening preferences shouldn't be confused with that. ...............................

I think he was joking.........At least I hope he was joking. He doesn't belong to the English leisured classes either.

Jul 20, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #26 of 92
Quote:

Whilst I can understand you may not LIKE these bands, to say they're overrated is to misunderstand what they contributed to music, and your personal listening preferences shouldn't be confused with that.

I know I'm not the one being addressed, but I just have to butt in: It's all about personal listening preferences.

You see artists like The Beatles, Radiohead, The Velvet Underground, Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis, Led Zeppelin and many others constantly hogging "best of all-time" lists; then when you listen to their albums and find it underwhelming, what else should someone think other than they're overrated?

To have been catapulted to that level of acclaim, you should have first been making music that was worth the hype. I think most of these acts that are considered the best of all-time merely benefited from circumstance. A lot of it can be attributed to being at the right time/era, some of it due to good marketing and publicity... and eventually, their legendary status just grew exponentially as time passed.

But for the most part, there's really little that's special about these artists if you're only looking at them musically/artistically.

I love The Beatles and Radiohead and I think their worthy of their acclaim... I think most of the other artists are decent enough... but The Velvet Underground is overrated as hell.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #27 of 92
Threads like this are just destined to be taken too seriously. It's all just a list of popular/critically acclaimed bands that each poster doesn't like. All subjective and not very meaningful....but I guess it could be fun...

Every indie rock band on the planet is overrated.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #28 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think THAY BRAN is pretty overrated.

Also, Duggeh, I agree with you 100% except for the bands you listed that I like.

Indeed
biggrin.gif
And I do like a good chunk of those I listed. I was close to putting Pink Floyd in too and I like them a lot. the only one I really don't like whatsoever is Machinehead, which is a pain when your brother plays them all day.

Quote:

Whilst I can understand you may not LIKE these bands, to say they're overrated is to misunderstand what they contributed to music, and your personal listening preferences shouldn't be confused with that...

I am not making that confusion. I like more of them, one way or another, than I dislike. I know what contributions they've made to music. But that doesn't negate large swathes of the total output being dull/atonal/overdriven/souless/joyless/pretentious noise and worthy of critique. Or indeed in the case of Radiohead, music which I recognise that by all the box ticking I should find to be magnificently glorious, wonderful and eargasmic, and yet somehow fails to be anything but less than the sum of its parts.

I also forgot probably the biggest overrated one of all time, a daft oversight:

Bob Dylan.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #29 of 92
To stamp as overrated bands that played music as it had never been played/felt before and that changed the course of "things" is a bit contradictory to say the least.
But I can understand it If you weren't "there" when it happened and are listening to "it" just "now" for the first time. It's just your perspective and some of these bands, coming at them now for the first time can sound a bit dated. But back then...

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #30 of 92
Especially after the post-mortem ball washing....

Micheal Jackson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back