MOST OVERRATED
Jul 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #76 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are the ONLY act of that fame to be accepted as artists and not entertainers. I've had the fortune of talking with numerous music professors, classical musicians, jazz musicians......Keith Jarrett, Anne Sophie Mutter, Alfred Brendel, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock.....adn they've all acknowledged that the Beatles artistry is on the level of a genius and in the words of Mutter "Sgt Pepper is what Beethoven would have written had he been alive in the 1960s." So while they were famous like Sinatra, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears.......their artistry is what sets them apart, their artistic growth is what makes their impact so different from all the others.......compare a song by Elvis from 1956 to one from 1974......it's not that different, compare a song from Sinatra's first capitol album to his last it's not distinctly different, compare something from off the wall to something from Dangerous...........then compare a song from please please me to a song from rubber soul and those two songs to a song from Sgt Pepper and those three songs to a song from The White Album and those 4 songs to a song from Abbey Road.......it is that growth which makes the BEatles separate from Britney screwin Spears........It's one thing to be a true artist of experimentation, and its one thing to commercial.....they hardly ever overlap.....in the case of the Beatles they overlapped entirely.

Excellent synopsis of the Beatles importance. I agree 100%.

Jul 21, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #77 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Owlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree that Springsteen is overrated, he made some good records 30 years ago but these last albums are very mediocre...

BTW, I think just about every rapper, modern RnB group and most of the top 40 pop drivel that seeps out of every radio is comercial crap that can't be called music by anyone with even a little bit of taste!

Good post.
Springsteen did more than make "some good records" 30 years ago, though. He created several full-on masterpieces back then. Unfortunately, his more recent stuff just can't possibly compare.

Wilco is a good band, but certainly not the "geniuses" that they are given credit for. Same holds for Radiohead.

U2 has two truly great albums: The Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire. Nothing else of theirs comes close (Zooropa, in particular, just plain sucked!)

Jul 21, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #78 of 92
DavidMahler: Let me get this straight: are you saying that The Beatles changed everything?
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #79 of 92
Quote:

BTW, I think just about every rapper, modern RnB group and most of the top 40 pop drivel that seeps out of every radio is comercial crap that can't be called music by anyone with even a little bit of taste!

The only rap you've listened to is probably top 40 drivel in the first place then.

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #80 of 92
Can I blame the Beatles for the decline of western civilization then since they were the ones that changed everything?

Just kidding. I think the Beatles should get plenty of kudos for writing some great songs. I don't see them as anything beyond a talented band that was at the right place at the right time and was marketed very well. Great band, but genius? hmmm....

It's been a hard days night and I've been working like a dog.
It's been a hard days night - I should be sleeping like a log.

I think Beethoven could have improved on that a bit don't you think?

Jul 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #81 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calexico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only rap you've listened to is probably top 40 drivel in the first place then.

Rap totally sucks with no redeeming qualities whatsover.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #82 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DavidMahler: Let me get this straight: are you saying that The Beatles changed everything?
biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure the bulk of you think I over estimate their influence when I say that the Beatles of all music artists in history (and this includes every classical composer) had the biggest impact OUTSIDE OF MUSIC.......I truly think the world would be as different if you withdrew the Beatles from history as it would be if you drew any president or political figure (exception Napoleon and Hitler unfortunately)

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #83 of 92
Then I'd suggest picking up a history book.

Your comparison makes absolutely no sense in the first place, since only ~50 years have passed since the Beatles formed. It'd be like somebody saying Britney Spears is the most important person in pop culture history because she had a huge impact on the use of auto tune in singles and a large portion of Billboard 100 songs have used auto tune in the past 2 years. See how I gave her complete credit and how small my time window is? What if we woke up tomorrow and auto tune was never from from again? Wouldn't it make that statement even more ridiculous than it already was? I know you love the Beatles and they're undoubtedly important to popular music of the last 50 years, but I don't think you've really thought this one out.

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #85 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I'd suggest picking up a history book.

Your comparison makes absolutely no sense in the first place, since only ~50 years have passed since the Beatles formed. It'd be like somebody saying Britney Spears is the most important person in pop culture history because she had a huge impact on the use of auto tune in singles and a large portion of Billboard 100 songs have used auto tune in the past 2 years. See how I gave her complete credit and how small my time window is? What if we woke up tomorrow and auto tune was never from from again? Wouldn't it make that statement even more ridiculous than it already was? I know you love the Beatles and they're undoubtedly important to popular music of the last 50 years, but I don't think you've really thought this one out.

Britney Spears use of autotune has no parallel to what I'm referring to when I say the Beatles are as influential as nearly any political figure.

This is essentially what the Beatles accomplished........ They became the essence of the culture and in most respects that essence is still felt today in one way or another. I've actually had discussions with music historians about this. You can write a whole book on the Beatles influence on culture and hardly mention the music at all.....and I'm not talking about mop top haircuts.

The Beatles' legacy has a lot to do with the music, but it has more to do with the fact that the history of 20th century can be written as Pre-Beatles and Post Beatles..........just as much as it can be written Pre WWII and post WWII.

Jul 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #86 of 92
Quote:

Britney Spears use of autotune has no parallel to what I'm referring to when I say the Beatles are as influential as nearly any political figure.

This is essentially what the Beatles accomplished........ They became the essence of the culture and in most respects that essence is still felt today in one way or another. I've actually had discussions with music historians about this. You can write a whole book on the Beatles influence on culture and hardly mention the music at all.....and I'm not talking about mop top haircuts.

The Beatles' legacy has a lot to do with the music, but it has more to do with the fact that the history of 20th century can be written as Pre-Beatles and Post Beatles..........just as much as it can be written Pre WWII and post WWII.

I would be very interested in a list of your points in your assertion that I put in bold, because it is a very bold assertion, especially considering that WWII was one of the most influential events in modern history when you figure all of the people who have been affected by it.

Think of all the political ramifications and country boundaries redrawn because of WWII. Think of all the world events that we are still experiencing as a result of the fallout of WWII:

- Nuclear threat
- Cold War
- Israel
- Rebuilding
- US rise to power
- Technology advances

When I think of all that and compare it to The Beatles, I think "The Beatles? Who are they?"

Seriously though, I'd like to hear your case.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #87 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously though, I'd like to hear your case.

Very glad you asked me to state my case........Your points regarding WWII are absolutely true. On the surface it seems impossible that a rock and roll band of twenty-somethings could have impacted the world as much as the most significant war of human civilization. Let me preface my argument by saying that the Beatles clearly didn't have the immediate and as drastic an impact as any war could have on the surface. No one died, not too many new inventions were created as a result of them, and certainly the few innovations which were made in terms of technology as a result of them are no substantial to human civilization......so where does my point begin?

My argument is such that The Beatles (not just the band, but as an industry) changed the entire psychology of modern culture. They didn't invent what I'm about to discuss, it had been under the radar and growing for god knows how long, but it was with them that this transition came to complete fruition.........and that psychological evolution is:

Better to be young, than to be old, and by this I mean young in spirit rather than old in spirit. I think all would agree that the 1960s has a lot more in common from a psychological perspective with the 21st century than it does the 1950s or 1940s.....and while you certainly cannot attribute this to a single person or group of people, I would like to explain in detail the steps in which I feel the Beatles can be described as the most significant piece of this evolution.

The Beatles were the first popular music act from non American soil to really gain complete adoration on American soil.....many attribute this the fact that after the Kennedy Assassination, the entire country was looking for a new focus to cope with the devastation and to find a renewed optomism. When The Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show about 6 weeks following the tragic event, it became the most watched televised event of this country's history up until the Man on the Moon in July 1969. Obviously, the Beatles singing All My Loving was cute and the girls screaming was nothing new, Bing, Frank and Elvis all had that as did many others........The Beatles in the minds of the adults were another cute heart-throb music act that their teenage children would love and spend money on and one day grow up and phase out of or be nostalgic for as they were for their Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller days.

But this wasn't the case, because very quickly the Beatles collectively began exploring artistic ground that was never even proposed by an entertainment act which was for the youth. By the time Elvis had been around for 5 years he was singing "Hunk of Burnin' Love" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight".........by contrast the Beatles were working on Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper. It was with the release of Sgt Pepper that I truly believe (and this belief comes from numerous things I've read and discussed with knowledgeable people) that the Beatles' acheivement in the medium was a wakeup call for the enitre culture of adults who shrugged off their children's interests as youthful nonsense. For the first time they were able to associate their child's interests and beliefs with artistic triumphs and deep complexities. This is not to say that Dylan wasn't recording equally as powerful music... BUT THE WORLD DID NOT SEE DYLAN TRANSFORM FROM CUTE TEEN TO SERIOUS ARTIST...........it was in witnessing this that the world understood that maybe their youth had more vision than they did. I remember talking to Ron Reagan once (son of Ronald Reagan) and was saying how when the White Album came out his father was very eager to hear it. This was coming off the tail of Sgt Pepper and the whole family sat around and listened to the two LPs........Reagan would later as everyone knows endorse his own presidential campaign by quoting Bruce Springsteen......

The Beatles did not achieve this alone, it was desperate and fast paced times.....the Civil Rights Movement was a huge, Vietnam was huge....etc.....but it was the Beatles who was truly the voice of the youth. And what a voice they were, they represented to the elder of the world that kids could do something viable and meaningful and say meaningful things and had brains.

All parents on this site who are 45 or older, think to yourself...........do you have a closer relationship with your kids than your parents did or do with you? If the answer is yes.....this is partly because the generation of the 60s began to understand youth in a more accepting and open way.

Now it is cool to be young, politicians want the youth vote, everyone wants to look and act young.............it was not always like this......it became like this when society was able to recognize the seriousness of youth and the necessity and artistry of rebellion. This happened not because of the Beatles but the Beatles spearheaded this phenomenon in every possible way.

Today, there are numerous colleges which teach not the music of the Beatles, but the contribution of cultural evolution which was in fact spearheaded by The Beatles. In particular John Lennon.....who became the first celebrity of his stature to really provide a voice to his audience, a semi-political voice.

I am certain very few, if any will agree with me on these matters and I'm sure there will be some detractors to the point of considering me a complete idiot. But I believe what I believe and I hope at the very least, if I haven't convinced you, that you were at least entertained :)

EDIT: Let me add this to the equation as well
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1161988/posts
http://www.cdi.org/russia/johnson/7284-18.cfm

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #88 of 92
Quote:

...very well thought out case...

While I think you have some valid points, I really think you are thinking more micro rather than macro. In the popular culture in countries like the U.S. and Britain, The Beatles might have rivaled WWII in the number of people impacted (even then I think it is a large stretch), but when you really take a step back and think of all the things WWII affected, there is no contest: The Beatles are NOTHING compared to WWII in terms of worldwide impact back then and now. Entire political systems have risen and fallen, proxy wars fought and re-fought, terrorist acts committed and retaliated against, and the balance of world power has shifted all because of WWII and its implications.

I do not doubt that you will have few takers on your case, but I was nonetheless entertained by it. I wish more posts like this were on this board; it reminds me of the climate here when I first joined
popcorn.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #89 of 92
Quote:

The Beatles did not achieve this alone, it was desperate and fast paced times.....the Civil Rights Movement was a huge, Vietnam was huge....etc.....but it was the Beatles who was truly the voice of the youth.

.....this is partly because the generation of the 60s began to understand youth in a more accepting and open way.

Now it is cool to be young, politicians want the youth vote, everyone wants to look and act young.............it was not always like this......it became like this when society was able to recognize the seriousness of youth and the necessity and artistry of rebellion.

I am certain very few, if any will agree with me on these matters and I'm sure there will be some detractors to the point of considering me a complete idiot. But I believe what I believe and I hope at the very least, if I haven't convinced you, that you were at least entertained :)

Interesting view, David. And I can see where you're coming and you make some good points, but the shifting of cultural thinking, and the establishment of youth as a meaningful, important phase of life, and the weight it can carry in society (which is taken for granted today, and is part of the point you make for the younger folk here, that is "your voice didn't always matter" though many think this probably isn't even true of the present) is far more complex, I'm sure you'd agree.

Whilst in the 50s teenage years were considered an awkward stage, best shortened and 'got over with' as soon as possible, the seeds of a new demographic were born here, but cultural shifts take time, and the 60s, plus the Beatles were part of that.

But, it is important to point out the 60s didn't 'happen' everywhere at the same time; the ideas, spirit, political and youth awareness, fashions etc didn't filter down to other western nations at the same time. The Summer of Love, Haight/Ashbury, Woodstock and the very stereotypical images we get of the 60s; the 'if you can remember, you weren't really there' stuff we hear today, is
1) Largely an American experience
2) Retrospective simplification

Even in the UK, where I grew up, and Australia where I now live, we are still bombarded with images of the 60s that were mostly, if not completely, from the US perspective. Many people in these countries didn't pick up on the 60s phenomenon until they were over. My parents see such images represented as part of 'their' youth, and recognise none of it as true to their experience. That is, they may have been news items at the time, but there was not necessarily the understanding a 'movement' was occurring.

The US may have seen Berkeley students railing against the archaic education system and Vietnam, other parts of the world were often presented with the idea that spoilt rich kids were simply overindulged and out of control, such was the 50s mentality still pervasive elsewhere in media and politics. It's likely this view was also the one presented by US media of the time.

There can be little argument the Sixties heralded massive cultural, social and political changes, affecting every aspect of life – at least in the western world. But they have taken on a contemporary context that has moved well beyond the events and experience of the decade itself, at the time it was happening. Certain events and countercultures have come to represent a generalisation of the Sixties, as if these occurred around the world at the same time and had universal impact. The difficulty is, we only see these from a contemporary perspective, and with time, distance and persistently stereotypical representations, they enter popular culture as universal experience.

As George Orwell wrote in "1984", "He who controls the present, controls the past. He who controls the past, controls the future." Today, it's the media that largely control this version of history, and its contribution to making these things true cannot be underestimated.

I've realise I've argued for your point of view, as much as establishing some wider perspective, but an enjoyable ramble for me nonetheless.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back