Most Overrated Drummers?
Aug 23, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #136 of 182
Quote:

I'm curious... what modern drummers have you heard? Would you mind naming a few off the top of your head?

Agreed.

How old do you think I am? LoL.

Drummers who aren't in their sixties (or still alive) that I hold in high regard:

Tre Cool
Danny Carey (he's not new...but not as old as Moon/Bonham or Peart 
tongue.gif

Taylor Hawkins
Patrick Carney
Philip Selway
In my advanced years of 40, I'm not sure if Lars Ulrich would qualify as newer. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #137 of 182
This is really the only RS list I've actually somewhat supported. They paid homage to some innovators across the board. 

Moon (My #1)
Bonham
Peart
Grohl (Not a fan of anything but Probot, honestly but he's a pretty talented guy. Top 10? Maybe not)
Buddy Rich (a personal favorite)
Copeland
?uestlove
Baker (Awesome choice I thought)

So 8 out of 10 ain't bad for me (except Grohl).

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #138 of 182
Quote:

How old do you think I am? LoL.

Drummers who aren't in their sixties (or still alive) that I hold in high regard:

Tre Cool
Danny Carey (he's not new...but not as old as Moon/Bonham or Peart 
tongue.gif

Taylor Hawkins
Patrick Carney
Philip Selway
In my advanced years of 40, I'm not sure if Lars Ulrich would qualify as newer. 
rolleyes.gif

I just wanted to see where you were coming from with your claims. Yeah, there are much better drummers out there. Nothing special about those guys.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #139 of 182
Quote:

I just wanted to see where you were coming from with your claims. Yeah, there are much better drummers out there. Nothing special about those guys.

rolleyes.gif
 I think your post says it all.

EDIT: BTW, what do you call the guys who like to hang around musicians? 

Answer: Drummers. 
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #140 of 182
Quote:

I don't particularly care for any of them either (except Philip Selway). Admittedly I didn't know who all of them were, but I looked them up. The thing is, I think they all are beneath the threshold beyond which raw skill level is undeniable. Rather, they all exist on a level where goodness is almost wholly determined by personal preferences. I also have "low caliber" drummers that I really like.

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #141 of 182
I spent a good portion of last week at a music camp in the Catskills with Pat Mastelotto and Tobias Ralph.  If anything, these guys are way underrated individually and together are an 8 limbed juggernaut.  Insanely talented at polyrhythms, they both have deep grooves to match.  Plus as a bonus, I got to meet Butch Trucks.

This was a good week!

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #142 of 182
Quote:
Its one thing to be an innovator and pioneer and something completely different to be just a follower. 
biggrin.gif

Exactly.
Go find the guys who sounded like Bonham and Baker and Starr and John Densmore, etc. before they started playing their own unique styles.
They are the innovators, the pioneers, the guys who invented those styles.

They all have a lot of followers.

BTW, Led Zep used to use a lot of odd time signatures, heck, even the Beatles used the occasional odd time signature, the nice thing about them, is they made them sound seamless. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #143 of 182
Quote:

Agreed on all three. And just for the record Phil Collins was an awesome drummer back in the Peter Gabriel days of Genesis, when that's all he was.

edit: How about most underrated drummer? My vote goes to Ringo Starr.

Not to mention John Densmore, who had to carry the rhythm section without a bassist.

Yes, Ringo and John D. are EXTREMELY UNDERRATED!
beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #144 of 182
Anyone who considers Mr Starkey to be a drummer, never mind an underrated obviously knows nothing about drumming. He could possibly be described as a barely adequate timekeeper. I agree, John Densmore was a fine drummer but the bass lines in the Doors were provided, chiefly, by Ray Manzarek who played two keyboards simultaneously, one for the bass lines and one for the overlay.

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #145 of 182
Still, by the very definition of consensus, he made the top 25:

http://shareranks.com/593,Greatest-Rock-Drummers-of-All-Time

MacHero should like this one
wink.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #147 of 182
Quote:
Anyone who considers Mr Starkey to be a drummer, never mind an underrated obviously knows nothing about drumming. He could possibly be described as a barely adequate timekeeper. I agree, John Densmore was a fine drummer but the bass lines in the Doors were provided, chiefly, by Ray Manzarek who played two keyboards simultaneously, one for the bass lines and one for the overlay.

Say what?
Anyone who thinks Mr. Starkey is NOT a brilliant drummer knows absolutely nothing about drumming!

Just a little refresher:
he played on these classic albums
Revolver
 - Rubber Soul
 - Sgt. Pepper
 - Magical Mystery Tour
 - The White Album
 - Abbey Road
he played drums on all those #1 hits
and, no he was not replaced by a session drummer
George Martin thinks he's a brilliant drummer.
So does Phil Collins
So does the Dream Theatre dude.

Sep 26, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #148 of 182
Quote:
Still, by the very definition of consensus, he made the top 25:

http://shareranks.com/593,Greatest-Rock-Drummers-of-All-Time

MacHero should like this one
wink.gif

LoL, I like Ringo. But will defer to a statement from John Lennon: Ringo wasn't in the top 5 best drummers in The Beatles. 
smile.gif

His drumming style worked with their music and it didn't stick out. But John Bonham, Keith Moon, or Neil Peart, he is NOT!

Sep 26, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #149 of 182
Quote:

LoL, I like Ringo. But will defer to a statement from John Lennon: Ringo wasn't in the top 5 best drummers in The Beatles. 
smile.gif

His drumming style worked with their music and it didn't stick out. But John Bonham, Keith Moon, or Neil Peart, he is NOT!

John Lennon was joking.
It is a common quote, taken out of context. He was referring to the fact that the guys were always trying to tell Ringo what to play.
Which is how most bands work.
Everyone seems to think anyone can play this stuff.
He also said Ringo was the perfect drummer for The Beatles.
Why do people like to jump all over Ringo?
None of the musicians in the Beatles were virtuosos, but they sounded phenomenal together. May as well crap all over Lennon or McCartney or Harrison.
Or a band like The Stones or Aerosmith or ZZ Top. None of those guys are virtuosos either, but they sound phenomenal together.
Most rock musicians are nothing more than competent.
It is the musical choices they make, they know what notes to play to make a song sound good and make the band sound good.
Dark Side of the Moon?  Mostly simple stuff, simple patterns, simple melodie, simple rhythms.  But it sounds good. Very good.
Have you ever seen Levon Helm play?  Mostly very simple stuff, but the feel is incredible.
Charlie Watts? even simpler. But extremely musical, tasteful, he really drives the band.
If you want to listen to virtuosos, listen to jazz. Or classical music.

To compare Ringo to Keith Moon is rather amusing.
Everything Moon played was in 4/4 time.
Ringo played in 4/4 and 3/4 and also had to handle the odd time signatures Lennon would unwittingly throw into songs.
He knew exacty what to play to make the band sound great.
He forged a style that countless drummers have imitated for years. 
Not too many guys try to play like Moon. Outside The Who it has little relevance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back