Most Overrated Bands?
Jun 8, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #91 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Er, are The Flaming Lips an obscure band somewhere in the world? In the UK, the critics can't even stand up straight in public once their name is mentioned.

You mean they double up with laughter. Yeah, I can see that. The lead singer's voice is probably among the weakest in the business. And people used to make fun of Neil Young...

Honestly, I sorta hate Radiohead. I keep trying to like them. I jump at their lastest album, but I always find myself saying: "When is Thom Yorke going to stop his incessant whining...." His stuff is so self-indulgent. Although they're a good band and have cranked out some of my favorite singles ("Creep" "Fake Plastic Trees"). But I think they're kinda overrated.

Otherwise, anyone who plays metal or whatever they're calling it these days. I just downloaded the Dream Theater discography and promptly discarded it...

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #92 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by electronicmaji /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beatles just ripped off other bands ideas and made them popular. Go look at Love, Nirvana, The Pretty Things, The Kinks, The whole us psychadelic movement. They were all ripped off by the Beatles.

Funniest statement of the year. Heheheheh.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #94 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. So, if we test your thinking away from pop, Beethoven would be consigned to the bin, Bach would be a bewigged fogey, Bartok an old duffer and don't even mention that bore Stravinsky....how odd. What's it like to live in a world that's always 'bigger and better'?

wink.gif

but we are talking pop music where the style is constantly changing and developing. Classical music doesn't go through the drastic changes that pop endures.

Maybe we should just call Henry Ford's "Model T" the greatest car in the universe because it was the first one. Whatever comes first must be the best.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #95 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but we are talking pop music where the style is constantly changing and developing. Classical music doesn't go through the drastic changes that pop endures.

Maybe we should just call Henry Ford's "Model T" the greatest car in the universe because it was the first one. Whatever comes first must be the best.

Not the first car I believe DAIMLER BENZ got that title as for gasoline powered
some frenchman with steam power got honors for that just to lazy to look up
his name.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #96 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not the first car I believe DAIMLER BENZ got that title as for gasoline powered
some frenchman with steam power got honors for that just to lazy to look up
his name.

sorry, first mass produced car

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #97 of 134
This argument is irresistable. What groups today are producing music so far "advanced" that it makes the beatles sound like a Model-T?

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #98 of 134
the beatles are given a lot of credit just because they revolutionalized the music generation of there time. They are put on the top of every list of the greatest bands, but i believe most of that credit is given for what they did as a band, not the actual music they made. Bands like Led Zeppelin had an effect on music that can still be seen today. I guess what im trying to say is the Beatles are rated so high not for there music itself, but because they were the first.

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #99 of 134
The Beatles tried a lot of instruments and effects and managed to blend
them together well a lot of people liked their music and some did not,
But I would not say that if I or anyone else did not like a group due to
personal taste does not qualify them as overated. Not to many bands can
hold peoples interests 38 years after their breakup.

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #100 of 134
Quote:

EH? Sorry, but to my mind, pop music is one of the most stylistically narrow, unchanging forms there is.......not a whole lot of difference between 1965 -2005 that I can see, still four to the bar, & in most cases verse, chorus, bridge, more electronics certainly. Doing more or less the same thing.

And you think Beethoven, Mozart, Bartok, Sibelius, Harrison Bertwhistle, Stockhausen or Ligeti aren't change enough? Gollymoses.....

Bigger and better. God help us
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #102 of 134
Aw, Thelonius, what happened to the dog gag?
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #103 of 134
Quote:

the beatles are given a lot of credit just because they revolutionalized the music generation of there time.

This sounds like faint praise. Anybody who can be said to have revolutionalized music in their time deserves plenty of credit.

Quote:

They are put on the top of every list of the greatest bands, but i believe most of that credit is given for what they did as a band, not the actual music they made.

You are saying their music was secondary as to why they are considered great? What are the non music things they did that earned them so much respect from so many, many bands, producers, critics, and fans? Also, how did they manage to revolutionalize music when their music was their minor accomplishment?

Quote:

Bands like Led Zeppelin had an effect on music that can still be seen today. I guess what im trying to say is the Beatles are rated so high not for there music itself, but because they were the first.

Bands like Led Zeppelin will cite the Beatles as a major influence. Like Led Zeppelin, the Beatles had an effect on music that can still be seen today.

Finally, what exactly do you mean by the Beatles were first? First what?

Jun 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #104 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This argument is irresistable. What groups today are producing music so far "advanced" that it makes the beatles sound like a Model-T?

Ryoji Ikeda

hehe I'm cheating ok.

I agree that Radiohead are pretty overrated. I like them, but they are not some kind of experimental gods like many people want to claim they are. There's other experimental pop music like them out there that's just as good, like The Residents and The Legendary Pink Dots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music is overrated, I plug my Grados into my pc and listen to hard-drive seeking and USB noise.

Hahaha. But seriously some low entropy data files sound really interesting when converted to pcm. Try any software adobe has made.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #105 of 134
I don't see why arguments have to be made on what one person thinks is overrated while the other does not. I personally think Metallica is overrated although I still love their music. Radiohead too. KISS is overly overrated as being "Rock Gods" and I doubt anyone would disagree with me at that :p

The point is, no point arguing. You can't convince the other person to listen to music you think is good while the other thinks otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back