Most of user opinions over Porta Pro are not objective.
Apr 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Guest5

100+ Head-Fier
Most say Porta Pro have dirty and bloated bass and that is not correct, more so it's kind of lame because users are %100 of their true opinion. Well I have discovered that these Koss Porta pro are one of the best hp for the money when you hook them up to a good source and power, I have not heard better.

KSC 75, KSC 55, KTX Pro 1, HD497, HD215, PX100 all of them right here and tested with almost all kinds of music.. Porta Pro is the clear winner over them all.

I have an old a friend who both enjoys his UE 10 Pro and his Porta Pros and I thought he was really dumb because I had the same Porta Pro and they sounded bad, especially on the bass, for portable sources I always use PX100, not that I havea bad portable source, but Porta Pro doesn't sound nearly as good as when properly amped. I was astouned when I hooked them up to a laptop with a E-MU cardbus card, I cannot describe how they opened up, the bass was tight and deep, I never thought Porta Pro can have such bass. As a whole the music sounded very dynamic and open, the impact, the precision was all there. All the other hp on my table didn't sound so good with the E-MU card. The laptop is very silent(the fan is spinning only under big load) so I got the best, pure impression of all headphones. For portable- KSC75/PX100, but not Porta Pro. BUT for the money Porta Pro are potentially the best headphones.

Don't judge Porta Pro off of your portable sources, your sources are not up to Porta Pro full potential, simple as that. For Portable just get cheap KSC75 and be happy, Porta Pros will have dull and dirty bass, it will be fatiguing.

The E-MU 02 card from 1616/1616m package is so small yet sounds outstanding, the drama, impact and extention is all there, it's a true high fidelity sound, it's like I could touch the sound texture with my hand, no DAP that I heard has this, only my D311 who died recently had this, and Porta Pros deliver. Why don't they make a portable player with Hi-Fi sound? And I think I have the answer, all they want is to make money the ugly, but fast way. All expensive SONY DAPs and other are cheap on parts, but they sell it for big, nowadays the marketing is the factor of succes, not the actual sound quality, are we being brainwashed? An E-MU level DAP will be more expensive to make and to sell, plus comercials and it will have to cost $1000, or more. Ever wonder why SONY made Hi-Fi class portables in the 90's and lately not? Nowadays it's all business and fear not to lose competition. Very sad. I have yet to hear a DAP that sounds good. The Hi-MD of SONY are weak, although sound clean, but no comparison to E-MU 02 card, you also need a laptop for it and that's 2.5 kg in your hands, pocket? and 1 hour battery life - sucks. Maybe one day business will die and greedy people will wake up and actually care for others.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 21
How is this post any less subjective than the opinion of other Head-Fiers?

That said, I think you may be a bit unfair here--many people recommend the Portapros as great value for the money, and I've seen very few people bash them.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 21
Your opinion of the Porta Pros sounds more subjective than the ones you are complaining about, to be honest.

Also I find it funny that you are telling people not to use their Porta Pros with Portable players.

BTW -- most people here have portalbe amps and they probably use them with their Porta Pros as well. For whatever that's worth.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpearce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is this post any less subjective than the opinion of other Head-Fiers?

That said, I think you may be a bit unfair here--many people recommend the Portapros as great value for the money, and I've seen very few people bash them.

It is less subjective acutally, I said that Porta Pros are underrated in other words. Most of users tend to say that Porta Pros have big amount of bass and it's dirty, bloated and dull. That is not true because objectively when you hook them up to a good and powerful source they sound balanced and tight, the bass is never stepping out over other frequencies. Out of my portables Porta Pros sound just like lot of people describe, fatiguing too because of the bass. But it's not fair to say Porta Pros have lots of bass when they infact don't, they sound amazing for $40.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most say Porta Pro have dirty and bloated bass and that is not correct, more so it's kind of lame because users are %100 of their true opinion.

So your opinion is more correct/right than other peoples opinion?
You say it does not have a dirty and bloated bass, while others say it does. Aren't both sides allowed to have and express their own opinion? Both may be right, for their rig, music, preference, ...

I quite like the PortaPro myself.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your opinion of the Porta Pros sounds more subjective than the ones you are complaining about, to be honest.

Also I find it funny that you are telling people not to use their Porta Pros with Portable players.

BTW -- most people here have portalbe amps and they probably use them with their Porta Pros as well. For whatever that's worth.

Porta Pro are very old headhones, in the early days they sounded great out of portables, those portables had huge current power.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most say Porta Pro have dirty and bloated bass and that is not correct, more so it's kind of lame because users are %100 of their true opinion.

Totally disagreed.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 21
Very few opinions are objective. Indeed, if they were objective, they would be FACTS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster dictionary online
Main Entry: 1ob·jec·tive
Pronunciation: \əb-ˈjek-tiv, äb-\
Function: adjective
Date: 1647

3 a : expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations <objective art> <an objective history of the war> <an objective judgment> b of a test : limited to choices of fixed alternatives and reducing subjective factors to a minimum

My thinks you were looking for the word SUBJECTIVE which describes 99% of the goings on about these forums.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster dictionary online
Main Entry: 1sub·jec·tive
Pronunciation: \(ˌ)səb-ˈjek-tiv\
Function: adjective
Date: 15th century

4 a (1) : peculiar to a particular individual : personal <subjective judgments> (2) : modified or affected by personal views, experience, or background <a subjective account of the incident> b : arising from conditions within the brain or sense organs and not directly caused by external stimuli <subjective sensations> c : arising out of or identified by means of one's perception of one's own states and processes <a subjective symptom of disease> — compare objective 1c
5 : lacking in reality or substance : illusory

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #9 of 21
I don't think that you'll find anyone that dislikes the Portapro around here, that'll refute that it is a great value. However, your fanboyish-ness is kinda sickening (though I am tempted to plug it into the ol' GLite, now). No headphone is going to get the kind of raving that you seem to want.

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 21
"Most of user opinions over Porta Pro are not objective"

Indeed, they are not... because, as someone else posted, they are opinions, just like yours. Or how is yours more objective than the others? Is it because you listened to them and you found them non-bloated? Well, I guess that's what other did and they found them bloated.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 21
A headphone and just like any other thing is natural only at its full potential, it's how it was meant to be, no wonder in the old days Porta Pros were carrying the crown of the entry Hi-Fi headphone, out of the old school portables they sound at their full potential that's why people loved them so much. Today when people drive Porta Pros out of their weak fancy portables the sound is distorted, add the fact that portables is nowhere Hi-Fi and you get Porta Pros to sound unpleasant hence I myself found that the bass is too much and too dumb sounding like inside a subwoofer. Connect them to a Hi-Fi source and you get propper amplification and secondly you get studio sound that equals absolute rapture. Actually I can tell you that Porta Pro sounds better on this E-MU card than any Hi-Fi headphone like HD595 and HD650 out of any portable, those have big potential but remains uncovered just like with Porta Pro. I am no fanboy, I also love PX100.

The objective part is that headphones like Portas are underrated by those who find them bloated with bass. It's their DAPs that sound weak and muddy, that may sound a bit painful, I know how many of you love these gadgets, but as for the SQ it's weak. But in any case I guess you get what you paid for, too bad it's not possible to buy a true good SQ DAP so that it squizes everything from such cheap but great HPs like Porta Pro then people will know what the best bargain feels like.
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 21
You're only hurting the rep of the portapro with this. They're generally well regarded around here to begin with, you sound like an insane fanboy (which typically doesn't help sway people's opinions) and you're claiming that the portapro isn't good as a portable headphone today without an expensive rig (which is kind of not what it was designed for, it was designed to pair up with cheap equipment).

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 21
Guest5, where is your laboratory, report, chart(s) etcetera...

I never had the pleasure of owning a Koss Porta Pro although I once considered buying it. If you want to make a point in the way you started this thread be careful. I'm close to mocking you (honestly
wink.gif
).

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 21
I believe the OP is using words he does not understand. At the very least, he doesn't understand what "objective" means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back