Most of the Sennheiser and Sony Sucks real bad! normal??
Jul 23, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #91 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
1- There is no real bass extension. In fact, there is no usable response below 80Hz on those cheap closed cans.

Your right for all the sonys... and other cheap little closed cans... but i can assure you that the 40mm drivers in the yam can motor deep until 25hz, even at 20hz there is perceptible activity. Sure some will play these frequency louder... but the yamaha play them as loud as they are on any CD.

By the way i test the frequency via my Frequency CD that range from 20 to 20 000hz in 45 steps...

I think that because of their cheap appearance... the yams are being associated with the cheap sony like the MDR-V300 and MDR-V250V which are sounding really bad and fit the description you made. But please... dont put the Yams in the same bucket... i know these sonys really well... and they are at miles and miles from the yams...

Jul 24, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #92 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentServices
the yam can motor deep until 25hz, even at 20hz there is perceptible activity. (...) the yamaha play them as loud as they are on any CD.

Quote:

Midrange is forward and extremely good for the price... one of the best i heard

That's it. He's trolling.

Jul 24, 2004 at 2:22 PM Post #93 of 120
I'm surprised that nobody has brought this up yet: have you tried a known pair of cans, like the HD555's, for two or three weeks WITHOUT doing ANY listening on your Yams, then switching back? If what gloco says is true about these cans, you may have acclimated to their sound and can't hear the improvements on better cans because they are lacking all the in-your-face bad qualities of the Yams.

Jul 24, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #94 of 120
I can ensure you that its not a case of listening-conditioning ... 1 year ago i spent a 2 weeks with the Grado RS-60. and recently with the Pioneer Monitor-10R... both are also really good cans!! but overall... trough different music style... i prefer the Yamaha. The grado are very very close... but are more colored and leak just too much for me to use them at work.

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #95 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
SEE? How come nobody could character-assasinate my friend's Sony V600s like that? He won't even buy Portapros, he's SO convinced his cans rule all. It's such a shame, since the rest of his gear is adequate - Yamaha 550x CDP source, or a Pioneer CDP (the one that burns CDs) etc.

I briefly tried them out at Circuit City near by (they use the V600s exclusively as their demo cans all throughout their CD section) and wasn't terribly impressed with them. Neither comfortable nor good sounding, both feels and sounds hollow. Yea, the V600s are rubbish. I just need to listen to them more to be through in their character assassination.

Getting back on topic, so are we to assume that these Yamahas are not worth the money? And what's this talk about listening to yams? I didn't know that the delicious, sweet, sweet yams could also double as a decent set of cans. My, how technology progresses (all apologies, I could not resist).

Edit: excised a paradox

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #96 of 120
Quote:

Your right for all the sonys... and other cheap little closed cans... but i can assure you that the 40mm drivers in the yam can motor deep until 25hz, even at 20hz there is perceptible activity. Sure some will play these frequency louder... but the yamaha play them as loud as they are on any CD.

By the way i test the frequency via my Frequency CD that range from 20 to 20 000hz in 45 steps...

I think that because of their cheap appearance... the yams are being associated with the cheap sony like the MDR-V300 and MDR-V250V which are sounding really bad and fit the description you made. But please... dont put the Yams in the same bucket... i know these sonys really well... and they are at miles and miles from the yams...

Do you have to always argue with negative opinion and try to push your view to other people? You love them, that's fine. But some people actually listened to Yamaha and didn't like them, so be it. If you wait for the upcoming review from other people, then you might be able to prove your point.
Until then, what you are doing here is making no better result than telemarketers do.

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #97 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
SEE? How come nobody could character-assasinate my friend's Sony V600s like that? He won't even buy Portapros, he's SO convinced his cans rule all. It's such a shame...

Yes, I used to be like your "V600-loving friend" myself. Until I realised that what "impressed" me at first turned out to be really crappy, "cheap-hi-fi" sound.

Jul 24, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #98 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by spilner
That's it. He's trolling.

he is trolling and that's why i called him out on his wacky observations on the Yamaha's which are a terrible headphone and beyond me how the hell anyone can recommend them. They are truely awful and i would steer far, far away from them.

As for these Yamaha's frequency range, they definitely don't go anywhere near 20Hz.

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #99 of 120
Hey... i didnt want to keep speaking about them until Lindrone review them seriously...

but people are saying incredibly ridiculous thing like they sound like V150... lol what you want me to do!! its a total shame to compare these two...

And what the hell would be my goal to troll about these? i dont have Yamaha share... i dont care if you dont buy them or not... i just say that either Senns or Sony cant offer a close can that can sound that neutral!!! Even the seller at my audiophile shop agree... and he is selling lots of senns and sonys...

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #100 of 120
Can I buy these phones anywhere?

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 24, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #101 of 120
And by the way... if Gloco hate them that much... you can be sure that im not a loner loving the Yam... the thing is that they are more professionally recognized then on the consumer market ...

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=RH5...gle.com&rnum=1

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=RH5...ews.net&rnum=1

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=RH5...xas.edu&rnum=3

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=RH5...xas.edu&rnum=6

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=RH5...et.net&rnum=10

The RH5M are the same model by the way...

So... do you think we are all stupid?? or what? Gloco... do you ever heard something neutral in you life????

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #102 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Second, the portapro's beat the pants off of the Yam's, it's not a matter of taste, it's just plain fact.

I Love it when people say that something is a matter of fact.
very_evil_smiley.gif

If there is one person somewhere in the whole world who genuinely prefers the Yams to the portapros it becomes a matter (variously) of

1) The general opinion
2) taste
3) the received wisdom
4) Most people prefer
5) Sanity

Blah drone etc.

To make it a matter of FACT you will have to support your assertion, you can give us numbers i.e freq response, distortion, channel separation and so on to support this - as long as we agree that these are relevant metrics - you can support this (to some extent) by taking a poll (though polls are typically highly unscientific - whatever that means) .

I cannot say that it is a fact that the sun will rise tomorrow - though I hope it does so and if someone offered me the bet.......

There is a big difference between something being a fact and something being very likely let alone beyond reasonable doubt.

Just having some fun
biggrin.gif

Peace and Love

Jim

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #103 of 120
The Portapro sound more like my 250$ Cerwin-Vegas... My Yams more like my 1800$ Kef ... take that like a fact or an opinion...
wink.gif

My Cerwin-Vegas are everything but flat... my Kef are flat from 55hz to 20hz at +- 3 db...

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #104 of 120
Both Eagle_driver and Gloco have listened to the Yamahas, and they both come up with the same opinion. Both of these guys have been around for awhile, they know what good sound is. Having said that..

It's very important in the audio world to be able to conceive that many people may not like your favorite component. Getting many opinions on a certain component is the only way to get a -general- idea of how something will sound. Lower end Sonys, Sennheisers, AKGs, etc. generally don't stack anywhere near the higher end models. While the Yamahas may sound better than most of the lower end models(AKG 141, Sony V150/300, etc), do they really approach the level of perfection you are speaking of? You haven't said anything negative about them. I can say something negative about every single component I own! Nothing is perfect, even the most expensive headphones like the Sennheiser Orpheus system, Sony R-10, etc all have their ups and downs. I like reviews where people point out the faults, as well as the positives, of a component.

Moreover, none of the online audiophile headphone shops carry the Yamahas. If they were a REALLY good deal, you'd expect at least one of them(Headroom, Meier, Audiocubes) to carry it. These stores I'm sure spend a great deal of time listening to different products in order to make decisions about which to carry.

You should probably make an investment in a higher end headphone from a place like Headroom which allows returns. Type out the exact differences you hear in the specific, and overall sounds. If your Yamahas still outclass the other, return the ones you bought, and relax in the comfort knowing you have the sound you like for a very low price.

Jul 24, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #105 of 120
I agree with you, and a pair of AT A900 are on the way...

About the weekness of the Yamaha... there is some. Low bass extention around 20-25hz could be more solid, soundstage is good... but not the best, mids and high can sound little dry for some taste... ( depending on the gear you use... ) I am assuming that the A900 will be a little more liquid in these category... This little dryness is typical of many Pro Audio gear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back