Most neutral sounding closed headphones.
May 12, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 41
DT880.

of course.
biggrin.gif

May 12, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 41
DT880 aren't closed.. right?

May 12, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 41
Not sure if these are *completely* neutral, but I've heard the Ultrasone 650's are pretty sweet. I think the only thing keeping them from taking any prizes around here is that you need to order them from Europe or Singapore(i think). You can get them for 170 shipped, which is pretty sweet.

Here's Jan Meier's review:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=hfi650

I've been looking for some good high quality closed cans too. If you want the best sound, as far as opinion around here goes, it seems the Etymotics are the way to go. Alas, I don't think i can go that route at work since I'd have to take them off a lot and my ear canals aren't made from steel.

May 12, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
walli, i thought the DT880s leaked like sivhs

Well, that's because they're not closed phones.

May 12, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

i was hoping to get a response from walli about how they do or don't leak, :p

I'm sure he'll be here to do so any minute now. Still, a pet peeve that when people ask for closed phones they get recommendations for phones that don't isolate and might or might not be considered closed. A person wouldn't ask for "closed phones" if they didn't need isolation right? Otherwise it wouldn't matter to them if it's open or closed.

May 12, 2003 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 41
biggrin.gif

AIM9X,

"walli, i thought the DT880s leaked like sivhs".

no, they leak. But they are nothing compared to Grados and ATH AD10s. besides, remember the DT831 open or closed thread? There are different levels of isolation. If you look at the DT931 from the cover side, you can see the actual driver. Not so with the DT880s.

have you heard them leak when someone else is listening to them??? and at what level were they listening to them?

so try this experiment:

take any three headphones. adjust the volume level to what you are used to. put on a medium busy tune. put them on someone else's head. and listen from 3 to 8 to 15 feet away. (sitting next to, near to, and far away from). then listen to them in a 70 dB environment and a 78 dB environment. (quiet and an air conditioner or computer running).

what are the relative levels detected?

hmmm.

the 3/8/15 feet rule is what I have found when I attend mini-meets.

Riz,

some complain about closed headphones leaking too. wood is denser, if not thicker, than plastic.

the only totally isolating headphones are in-ear types or playing at low volumes.

otherwise just find a pair of Koss Pro 4 AA or AAA.
biggrin.gif
AKG 240 series may suffice.

neutral and closed? CD3000, maybe. audition before buying. The CD1700 is also thought of highly by some.

both,

when you hear leakage, what frequency is being detected? Matt could hear a light bulb singing. it died shortly thereafter. Greg can't listen to headphones while the TV is on. I do not have flourescent lights in my house.

btw, I own the DT831, DT931 and the DT880. The DT880 is the headphone which fatigues the least.

May 12, 2003 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

hey, HEY.... don't start getting feisty with me again... don't make me get the hose!

Being up 40 hours makes me TESTY, I will chill though
tongue.gif

May 12, 2003 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

i've never heard or even seen a dt880, i'm running completely on what i've read.

yeah me too, we don't know anything so listen to walli I guess
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back