Most neutral budget DAC?
Aug 1, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 81
Don't lose heart Mike.

That's an impressive resume to say the least. Suggesting a 250USD USB cable is a little out of whack considering the OP's request, so some criticism is warranted but the way this criticism (by some) was presented is uncalled for IMO.

General statement to no one in particular....

These opposing points can be made without resorting to insults,period. Why people cannot exercise more tact these days is rather sad. Good folks have left this forum because of such tactics and Head Fi is a lesser place because of it.

Please folks be polite and tactful when replying, this place is meant for opinions of all stripe with each of them given the same respect. Try to remember that..........furthermore what you say reflects more on you, the poster, that it does on the person the post is directed at (or in response to).

Peete.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 81
Aug 2, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #19 of 81
Well, you do get an impressive cable for the price. Too bad it is not gold, otherwise it was in Mister T. style
wink.gif

Besides that the Fiio E7 seems interesting but how neutral is it as a DAC? From what I have read not neutral enough.

I think it is better to go for a good and more expensive DAC so upgrading that part in the audio chain can be avoided in the long run. That is what I am contemplating right now. I could also save up for a Violectric V200 or stand alone DAC in the region between 300 and 1000 dollars and be done with it for a long time. I do not mind the high prices as long as it is what I am looking for. DACs...

Aug 2, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 81
I would recommend the HRT Music Streamer II too, it has a sensible design, fits nicely on a desktop, but this time with the most normal USB cable you can find.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #22 of 81

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just a "sales rep".

It's not like I got my first job answering phones at The Absolute Sound, working my way up to Harry Pearson's set-up and acquisitions man, after proving my dedication and love for music and audio - or, that after that I went to work for Arif Mardin (the Grammy-Award winning producer, including a Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award) at Atlantic Records, learning about album production from Mr. Dowd, (Tom Dowd), and Mr. Wexler, or that I worked my ass off to get the respect of Mr. Ertegun, and that I was BLESSED to call them my friends.

These guys had nothing to do with the foundation of American pop music, or anything like that.

Not like I've been writing about music and audio since I was a teenager.

All these people have NOTHING to do with PRO!  Not like I spent YEARS in NYC, workin w/ S.I.R., doing backline work at Sessions at West 54th Street, or helped to build recording studios (after asking to learn about pre-and post production facility design) w/ John Tamburello from Burello Sound and Central Media Systems.

NO, I'm just a sales rep.

I've dedicated my whole life to this, both consumer and pro - so don't be so quick to jump to conclusions.  It's beyond amateur - and just because something is considered "pro" doesn't mean it's any less colored, and I'm sure Frank Filipetti would back me up there.  and, he's got NOTHING to do with pro.  Oh, HERE's a link to my interview with Frank, in case you think I'm full of it.

man these kinda ignorant posts make me lose my faith sometimes.

Mike, 
You have every right to be proud of your accomplishments and of the dedication you've shown toward your pursuit of the Absolute Sound.  Many on the internet are quite full of themselves after having spent 10 minutes reading someone else's post on a subject.  You have years of dedication, hard work, and experience under your belt that you can be proud of.  Keep the faith man!!  Share your experience and knowledge with others here...There will be a few who will learn from you and be better for it.  There will be many who are so full of themselves they have no interest or capacity to learn anything from anyone.  I'm sure you'll agree, the gate swings both ways.  That is to say, that if we will practice a modicum of respect for others, we can all continue to learn for a lifetime.

Cheers,
kwkarth

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #23 of 81

Quote:
Don't lose heart Mike.

That's an impressive resume to say the least. Suggesting a 250USD USB cable is a little out of whack considering the OP's request, so some criticism is warranted but the way this criticism (by some) was presented is uncalled for IMO.

General statement to no one in particular....

These opposing points can be made without resorting to insults,period. Why people cannot exercise more tact these days is rather sad. Good folks have left this forum because of such tactics and Head Fi is a lesser place because of it.

Please folks be polite and tactful when replying, this place is meant for opinions of all stripe with each of them given the same respect. Try to remember that..........furthermore what you say reflects more on you, the poster, that it does on the person the post is directed at (or in response to).

Peete.

Good post Peete!  Thanks!

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 81
The TASCAM US-144mkII looks really nice, especially for the price. Im thinking about that. 

Im having trouble finding anything concerning the DAC sound on these pro audio usb interfaces. It seems like all pro audio products go for the same neutral, uncolored sound. Most HiFi products claim to be neutral and uncolored. But IMO its not in the same league as professional audio. 

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #25 of 81
@kwkarth - I wholly appreciate this response!!  Thank you so very much for being a pro - a rarity these days.

It's obvious the statements about the "pro audio products" come from a person with little experience in the field -  it's simply NOT reality.  Many manufacturers in the pro AND Hifi market make products that are colored - and others in both make products that seem neutral.  This is ALL subjective, and having spent time in recordings studios, mastering studios, and many Hifi listening rooms I can tell you the only way to be sure is to listen yourself.

After all - great mastering engineers like Bob Ludwig and Ted Jensen - along with producers like Rick Rubin and Frank Filipetti enjoy Hifi, and Rubin
even endorses Kubala-Sosna cables - so forget using the pro market as a way to rebel against Hifi - they co-exist for a reason.

This is supposed to be fun you guys - and many products out there can either excite you, or bore you.
As a music addict, journalist, DJ/producer, and marketing director - I'm constantly looking out for new music AND hardware - and no matter what ANYBODY says here-
it's all in the eye of the beholder.

That said - I'm sorry (NOT being rude here, I'm serious) if your system is not resolving enough to discern the sonic differences between cables - both speaker and line-level.
I love music - the equipment is just the vehicle - but when the vehicle is high performance, well, all the better!!!

Thanks again for the supportive responses here. 

Sep 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM Post #26 of 81
it's not snake oil... it's a real snake..... all u need are a few magnets to make it move around

Quote:

Listen, you've suggested a $250 USB cable to a guy looking for DAC under $150. Congrats on the list of notables in your career. $250 USB cables are ultra snake oil. You might convince some, but not me....ever.

Quote:
the 0404USB is full of nasty 5532's, not the nicest sounding opamp. 

http://www.locus-design.com/cynosure_usb.html

"Starting at $2849 for 3FT", and there's a huge restocking fee of course.

Sep 13, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #27 of 81
For the price of that usb cable, I will fly to your home and install a soundcard with I2S to your computer and hardwire that to your dac. If you asked the locus design guy which sounds better, a 3 foot usb cable or 6 foot usb cable, I am sure he will say the shorter one is better. And my method would be shortest of all! Pm me if interested.

Sep 13, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #28 of 81

Quote:
I am looking for a DAC between $75 to $150

E-MU 0202 or  M-Audio Fast Track are the obvious suggestions at that price point.

If you can strech it a little then have a look at the Focusrite Saffire 6. It might look as if it has more features than you want at the moment but you will be surprised.

Trust me. I once petted Paul McCartney's dog (*1).

Notes

*1  Air Studios, Oxford St, London circa 1981.

Sep 13, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #29 of 81
You might want to check out the Headphonia Cable Dac as well: http://headphonia.com/::10134.html
I just bought one off a fellow HeadFi'er, and will be comparing it to my  Gamma2..

Sep 13, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #30 of 81
There is some really bizzaro land stuff going on in this thread.

I am going to answer the original question:

The Musiland Monitor 02 US is an excellent DAC that also happens to have a headphone amp. It is right at the top of your price range, but it is truely excellent.

Based on the PCM1793 DAC chipset. Known to be quite good and generally neutral.

For less than $300-500, this is about as good as you are going to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back