most MUSICAL headphone for the buget-minded
Feb 4, 2002 at 7:30 AM Post #32 of 57
I'd give my vote to the Etys. More likely than not they probably have a superior sound to the rest too.

Feb 4, 2002 at 7:39 AM Post #33 of 57
Since you already have the KSC-35s the Grado SR60 will not be that big of a jump in terms sound quality for twice the price. Grados are more of a specialized headphone that only excels in a couple of areas unless you happen to prefer all of their quirks, including their great comfort factor
smily_headphones1.gif

If you take this route, I would go with at least Grado SR80(greater bass response, more transparent high end than SR60). Of course, I personally would recommend the HP890 which I am in the process of reviewing along with a bunch of other headphones. In short, it has all the high end Sennheisers' strengths and yet almost none of their weaknesses for 50-120% less cost outright and then some because most highend Senns require quality headphone amps as well as clou cables to bring out their sound.

Feb 4, 2002 at 11:00 AM Post #34 of 57
Pepsione1,

No not at all!
smily_headphones1.gif
In fact you were the only one who made sence. You said they weren't musical.

I just read the whole thread and got really surprised since so many was recommending the V6 as a "musical" phone.

Everyone : Don't forget to look at his preferences instead of just recommending a headphone you like...
rolleyes.gif

Look at the poll... I bet noone owning both the V6 and the grado would vote for the V6...

Again... You have to look at peoples preferences instead of just recommending what you like!! Recommending the V6 could be very misleading...

Feb 4, 2002 at 1:16 PM Post #35 of 57
You might want to check out the Stanton DJ Pro 60,
your can get them on the net for $38 US, but you go and see if
any store carry them and have a listen
smily_headphones1.gif
. Awesome cans
and don't let the "DJ" name mis lead you, these have good bass
and good with portables as well.

Feb 4, 2002 at 5:51 PM Post #37 of 57
my 2 cents---

V6s are analytical, not musical. Still nice phones though...

SR60---very musical, very listenable, but bright (treble emphasized) and restrained bass. Not terrible bass but not pronounced either.

Senn 497---better balanced than the SR60, better bass, and cheaper. For your needs, I would go with the Senns.

I also own the Denon 550s. They are a lot nicer than the 210 or 350. They are sort of like a closed version of the SR60 with better bass and less of a treble boost. You might like them, but you will have a hard time finding them to hear or buy, and I think the Senns are better for classical and jazz, but the Denons are handsome and sturdy, which are sort of the polar opposites of the Senn 497s. But in terms of sound, I think the 497s have the edge.

Feb 4, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #38 of 57
I concur with the opinion about the Senn 497; I have yet to find a typr of music they don't work well with; they sound great with everything. The 477 is a nice set as well, but not as good with jazz/classical as the 497.

Feb 5, 2002 at 2:21 AM Post #39 of 57
Just to confuse you, I would respectfully disagree with certain prior comments on the Senn 497. I do not feel thay can hold a candle to the Grado's mentioned here, especially the SR80 (disclaimer-I own SR80's !). I had a chance to compare the 497's A/B/C with Grado 60's and 80's on some decent digitally mastered jazz. The Grado's are much better in reproducing the breathiness of female vocalists or woodwinds (e.g. flutes, clarinets), and the 80 has a better bass response. IMHO, I would rate the overall "musicality" of these phones as:
1. SR80
2. SR60
3. 497

Regarding the KSC 35, they were not a part of the above trial. I would place them below the 497 if I had to guess. I bought some 35's a while ago on the rec's of a friend and promptly returned them. I did not care for their sound and had no use for them. Obviously, others disagree.
As an owner of multiple sets of V6's, I fully agree with the prior descriptions as "analytical and dry" with deep bass response. I would add that they have very little soundstage. That said, I enjoy them alot and find them a useful part of my collection. Very durable and efficient. Very fun when I'm in a BASS mood (e.g. Axel F from the old Beverly Hills Cop soundtrack). Good closed cans for the $$, but there are clearly better out there below your price limit.

I would urge you to listen to these cans for yourself. Ears are different in structure and perception. YOU must decide what sounds best to your ears.

Jon

Feb 5, 2002 at 3:06 AM Post #40 of 57
speaking of grados,

someone suggested Alessandro Music Series One, which perform like the grado sr-125 for the same prices as the grado sr-80

Alessandro Music Series One--- $99.99
Grado sr-80 ------------------------ $99.99

has anyone did a A/B comparison between the two?

once again, i WISH i can audition to all of this headphones but i CAN NOT find any of these headphones LOCALLY. i have to order my headphone online so im TRUSTING fellow head-fiers for thier opinions and suggestions.

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by jona
As an owner of multiple sets of V6's, I fully agree with the prior descriptions as "analytical and dry" with deep bass response. I would add that they have very little soundstage.
Jon

I have to agree with you on that one jona! I also find the Sony V6 to have little or almost no soundstage at all. That is also why I am very interested in buy another pair of headphones. So, which pair of cans (out of the ones mentioned above) have the best soundstage?

Feb 5, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #43 of 57
Soundstage? You guys sure want a lot out of under $100 easily powered headphones. I realize diminishing returns kicks in at some point but you do understand that you're nowhere near that point, right?

Kelly

Feb 6, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by jona
Kelly-

We can dream, can't we?? I mean if the dollar doubles against the Euro, we could be discussing cans like Beyer's 250-80 in the $100US category
smily_headphones1.gif

Jon

Hey, Meier shipped my DT831s for $140 flat. I say save your allowance for another week and order those.
smily_headphones1.gif

Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back