Most "Moving" Guitar Solo
Sep 29, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #91 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for 'Comfortably Numb'. I was there too, thankfully not on the night the seats collapsed! If I remember rightly, the encore was: 'Wish You Were Here', 'Run Like Hell' and finally 'Comfortably Numb'? Everybody was, as you say, transfixed. One of the oldest fans there (in his 70s) was so visibly moved towards the end that I got choked up too.

Watching it on Live 8 was pretty moving as well, dark, atmospheric. . . and then came the solo. . . breathtaking.

The seats collapsing was why I went to the concert twice!
blink.gif
. On the 12th the lights went down (we were on the upper tier above the section that collapsed), the lead in 'atmosphere' noise was building and we clearly felt an extended vibration through the floor. A few people looked around at each other and then gradually people started to realise that something was wrong. As the lights came up it became apparent that the tier below us had collapsed! A few days later it turned out that a work colleague of the guy I went to the concert with was arguing with stewards that he could see unattached sections of scaffolding and was trying to get them to evacuate the section when it came down. Crazy & lucky as no one was seriously hurt. On the 17th we ended wish, numb and run.

Live 8 was a great surprise as I really thought they would never play together again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #92 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You two are indeed fortunate to have seen this show.
Comfortably Numb (a few years older) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nA_-PxeIo

That footage is from the Earls Court Division Bell Tour, 14 nights sold out @ 15,500 people each night!! If it is the 20th October footage then it was the TV broadcast recording.

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #93 of 114
"Moving" can be very very personal and has nothing to do how great the solo might be.

My choices would be Wish you were here, November Rain , Wild Thing (Hendrix), What I Got (sublime), Walk (Pantera) and most stuff by Morello. Oh and what I like to play for girls when they are feeling down...wonderwall.

Oct 8, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #95 of 114
I agree with you Manik, the solo on November Rain is really great and moving. Even though it's a slow song I like it because of the solo and the emotion.

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #98 of 114
Another vote for comfortably numb
wink.gif

But also something different, I really love the solo in Iron Maiden's Paschendale ... and they have a lot of great other solo's, too, e.g. Afraid to shoot strangers ...

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #99 of 114
David Gilmour on Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb (I prefer the live versions)

Billy Corgan on Smashing Pumpkins - Here Is No Why

The Billy Corgan Solo was the first solo I learned how to play, and the David Gilmour one was the last so far.

edit: Actually, the last one was the solo at the beginning of Wish You Were Here now that I think about it more.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #100 of 114
Thin Lizzy, Live and Dangerous, Still in Love With You - Brian Robertson.
Band of Gypsies, Live at the Fillmore East, Machine Gun - Jimi Hendrix.

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #102 of 114
When I think about guitar solos that are truly moving, one image comes instantly to my mind: that of a top-hatted, Les Paul slinging Slash...
Always the same Les Paul Standard replica, always that Marshall stack... ...But everytime managing to touch a whole new bunch of raw nerve endings in my musical sensibilities.
In all honesty, I believe that Slash's contribution to rock guitar playing is the biggest step after Jimi Hendrix... Especially in the ability to convey true emotion through this particular instrument.

Estranged
Sweet Child O' Mine
Paradise City
Nightrain
November Rain
Etc, etc, etc...

Mar 22, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #104 of 114
My favorite guitar solo is Pete Callard's spine-tingling Flamenco performance on the last track of Shpongle's "Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost" entitled Falling Awake. It perfectly wraps up a truly epic album.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #105 of 114
Comfortably Numb, without a doubt, doesn't even need to be mentioned. It's got the number one spot.

Meadows of Heaven by Nightwish also has an amazing solo, but its thunder is shared somewhat by both a choir and orchestra. Still my number two pick.

Number three... Nightwish's live cover of Pink Floyd's High Hopes! Seriously, I have immense appreciation of Emppu's skill, and I almost think I like this version of the song better than the original, well, maybe not better but more moving at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back