Most "Moving" Guitar Solo
Sep 20, 2007 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

roadtonowhere08

Headphoneus Supremus
I know there are many thread about guitar solos, but I have not really heard someone say what they believe to be the most moving guitar solo they have heard or at least start a thread on it. I am not concerned with wizzardry and virtuosity. I am talking about solos that really leap from the player's soul and move the listener. I am talking about "stop what you are doing, sit down, and drink in that solo" kind of playing.

For me, the song "Museum of Iscariot" from Virgin black builds up into an absolutely entrancing guitar solo at the 6:11 mark. It may be just me, but I find that solo to be absolutely inspiring and amazing. Such soul and emotion from Samantha, it's palpable.

So what about you guys? What SINGLE solo "does it" for you?

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 114
Scenes From a Memory - "The Spirit Carries on". IMHO Petruccis best work... Total Steve Morse vibe throughout the tune. I just love it, His Mesa MarkIIIc lead tone is so thick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avPdOAKl8w4

They dedicated this tune to all the 9/11 tragedy victems' families, having hit so close to their Long Island home. They released the Live DVD set you see here on ~9/8. The DVD cover-art had the NYC downtown skyline and WTC towers engulfed in flames. The towers were hit on 9/11, and they had to pull the DVD set from the shelves. By coincident, it was border-line distasteful and surely would have caused an uprising. The cover-art was revised for the rest of the production.

I always think of the WTC tragedy whenever I hear this tune.

6:05-7:40 is an extended jam that they needed to stretch out in order to get the choir off the stage and change sets for the next scene. Supposedly Theresa kept singing and Jordan kept playing.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 114
Stevie Ray Vaughan's rendition of Little Wing and this video I absolutely love. Little Wing

I just wish I was a little bit older so I could have seen him live. I love the Blues!

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #8 of 114
Jerry Douglas' Dobro solo on I'm Gone from AKUS New Favorite album. For such a short solo it conveys an immense amount of emotion.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 114
one of my favorites is the solo that ends the song "Lady Starlight" by the Scorpions from their album ANIMAL MAGNETISM. I'm not sure if Rudy or Matthias did that one, I know Rudy did some of the "slower" solos..

I would also have to throw in a couple from Randy Rhoads.. "Mr. Crowley" and "Diary of a Madman" - both are incredible.. actually, just about every solo the guy recorded with Ozzy gives me chills.

-jar

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #10 of 114
Although I'm sure few here have heard this one, the 3 minute solo that ends Blankey Jet City's "Warui Hitotachi" is absolutely amazing.

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
david gilmour's solo in comfortably numb

Ozz beat me to it.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back