Most isolating IEMs (no custom molds)
Jun 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chengbin

100+ Head-Fier
Which non custom molded IEM provide the most isolation? 

I own the Shure E2c and RE0. The E2c is so far ahead of the RE0 in terms of isolation that it almost swayed me to use the E2c instead (because I can't hear bass and the details are drowned out), even though the sound quality is worse.

I tried putting on E2c black tips on RE0 (ran out of white tips). It is better than stock, but does not come close to E2c (probably because of the way the E2c is built. The shape of the E2c fits my ears almost like a custom mold)

I also bought monster triple flange tips, but they sound horrible on the RE0. Also, it is uncomfortable in my ears, and takes a while (5ish seconds) to put in. The isolation isn't that good either, comparable to E2c black tips.

What are some VERY isolating IEMs in the market? I know people say Etymotics are king of isolation, but I don't know about triple flanges after using the monster triple flange tips. How does the Ety's triple flange feel in your ear?

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd say pick an Etymotic that you want and then go buy yourself a set of Shure olive tips which work great and have just as much isolation. The deal with triple flanges is that they are just as comfortable or uncomfortable as any other one and you either get used to it or you dont

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 5
The Etys and the Shures are supposed to have the best isolation.  If you liked the general sound sig of the Shures but wanted better overall quality, then you might want to move up the Shure ladder.  I'm also pretty sure that the Etys are more isolating with the foam tips, so that would be a good choice if you're looking for a more neutral sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back