Most Impressively Bad/Disappointing Headphone(s) You've Tried
Jul 1, 2023 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

TWerk

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm interested in hearing your most disappointing headphone purchase...

I tried a Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition not too long ago and thought they were downright bad. Like a few songs in and I was already thinking what is this? Not at all what I anticipated based on what I'd read.

Generally I've found it is easier to be disappointed by an expensive headphone than a cheap one because if it is cheap enough, you can chalk it up to that. When it's >$500, there's no excuses.

This experience personally completely drew me away from Kennerton headphones and I doubt I'll ever buy or be interested to try another.

Bloated bass and not resolving to my ears. Only thing for me was the soundstage was rather good on those for a closed back but that didn't hide the actual sound itself.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 74
There is already a thread on disappointing high end cans.

Jul 2, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 74
HD800 and 700. The HD800’s were redeemable with the right amp but I found them too finicky for high end cans especially after coming from the Sony MDR-CD3000’s which were absolute gold with whatever I plugged them into. The HD700’s were straight up terrible sibilant abominations. Then to add insult to injury the headband and ear cups turned to black goo. My Sony Z7’s are still in great shape and I got them at the same time.

Jul 2, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 74
I'm interested in hearing your most disappointing headphone purchase...

I tried a Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition not too long ago and thought they were downright bad. Like a few songs in and I was already thinking what is this? Not at all what I anticipated based on what I'd read.

The more expensive, the better. Generally I've found it is easier to be disappointed by an expensive headphone than a cheap one because if it is cheap enough, you can chalk it up to that. When it's >$500, there's no excuses.

This experience personally completely drew me away from Kennerton headphones and I doubt I'll ever buy or be interested to try another.

I prefer far less expensive closed backs in my collection to the sound of those.

Bloated bass and not resolving to my ears. Only thing for me was the soundstage was rather good on those for a closed back but that didn't hide the actual sound itself.
The most recent extreme example for me would be the Audio Technica WP900's.

People toss around the term V-shaped Way too easily. I think that for most examples given, it is an exaggeration.

These are the Strongest example of V-shaped that I have ever heard. 40% bass, 40% treble and 20% left over for all the mids. It took forever to sell them and I took a large loss.

In closing, yuck!

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 74

People toss around the term V-shaped Way too easily. I think that for most examples given, it is an exaggeration.

These are the Strongest example of V-shaped that I have ever heard. 40% bass, 40% treble and 20% left over for all the mids. It took forever to sell them and I took a large loss.

In closing, yuck!

I've had to learn to be a little more picky with purchases as of late.

It really sucks to sit on a headphone you decided that you don't like and if it doesn't have a following or popularity - it can be awhile to find a buyer now.

I'm not sure if it's overall economy or what but even these forums themselves have been slow moving lately!

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 74
Audioquest NightOwl fits this bill. It has a very dark and wonky tonality, lacks bass, never sounded "right" with any source I tried it with. In short, it does almost nothing right....other than being quite comfortable, which it was.

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #8 of 74
HD800 and 700. The HD800’s were redeemable with the right amp but I found them too finicky for high end cans especially after coming from the Sony MDR-CD3000’s which were absolute gold with whatever I plugged them into. The HD700’s were straight up terrible sibilant abominations. Then to add insult to injury the headband and ear cups turned to black goo. My Sony Z7’s are still in great shape and I got them at the same time.

800 is one I've managed to avoid for a long time because I just know the description of that treble likely wouldn't agree with my listening preferences and I am not a sound stage freak. I did have the 700 as well a long time back and I also was not a fan. They just sounded fairly weirdly tuned.

I think the 660S is based off that same driver as well.

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 74
Audioquest NightOwl fits this bill. It has a very dark and wonky tonality, lacks bass, never sounded "right" with any source I tried it with. In short, it does almost nothing right....other than being quite comfortable, which it was.
Though I've never tried the Audioquest myself, one thing I seriously do not like is overly dark headphones.

They immediately don't work for me if they are too dark - sounds muddy and I just can't enjoy.

I recall Meze 99 Classics fit that bill for me, just too rolled off on top - I did not enjoy them.

Sony Z7 was another - there's many of them out there.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 74
was looking for a budget travel closed headphone and after reading/listening to several positive reviews purchased the 1more triple driver OE - bad sound (bright and max volume as soon as you touch the dial) and poor build quality (pads started to wear after minimal use). that purchase was a waste of money; would have been better off using ear buds.

in terms of more expensive headphones, the hd800 (bright) and empyrean (dull) were ones i liked initially but then soured on - neither were (are) bad; just not satisfactory over time. also the 404 signature, and in general lower-end stax, sounded thin and often bright; sold with little remorse.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 74
was looking for a budget travel closed headphone and after reading/listening to several positive reviews purchased the 1more triple driver OE - bad sound (bright and max volume as soon as you touch the dial) and poor build quality (pads started to wear after minimal use). what a waste of money; would have been better off using ear buds.
Good mention!

I remember owning that one too. I agree, they sounded terrible.

Jul 2, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 74
My number two most disliked headphone was the Nightowl Carbons. Really liked them at first and within a month, I completely hated them. Luckily I bought them when they were discontinued and the were about half price. Easy to move with minimal loss.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 74
I've had to learn to be a little more picky with purchases as of late.

It really sucks to sit on a headphone you decided that you don't like and if it doesn't have a following or popularity - it can be awhile to find a buyer now.

I'm not sure if it's overall economy or what but even these forums themselves have been slow moving lately!
Same with CAM (Canuck Audio Mart) up here in Canada. People are not buying unless the price is 30 to 40% less than MSRP, unless you have something unusual.

Jul 2, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 74

In closing, yuck!
I feel the same way except when i recently listened to trash metal off a turntable with a eliptical stylus. There is something magical about that pairing. Sure it wasnt "hifi" but i had a fun time demoing.

Sad but a niche does exist for them.

Jul 3, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #15 of 74
Are we talking strictly about higher end phones, or just anything that doesn't perform to its price point? Because I'd like to submit the Sivga SV021 for the "what the F did I just listen to?" award.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back