Most 'forgiving' TOTL headphone in your opinion?
Aug 17, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #46 of 63
Firstly, I said nothing about the upper treble in my post - recall I said "1.5-12k". So your comment is not applicable to what I said, but, thanks for pointing out it is bright in most of the top octave.

I've included (tried to) a Crinicle chart for the Meze Elite w/ Hybrid pads, which assuming it is the headphone you are talking about is indeed under the Harman from 1.3-12.5k according to the chart. The Alcanta pads fare better being close to Harman but still under from 1.4k-11k, but are quite close from 3.7k-6k, but still under - so that's better, but still a dark tuning.

https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/meze-elite/

I'd post the two graphs but they didn't display well.
12.5K is not upper treble?

They’re not “seriously deficient” anywhere. Anyone who has heard them knows that. Don’t know what else to say except that they’re tuned close to Harman, but not exact.

Attachments

• IMG_4637.png
    IMG_4637.png
    505.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #47 of 63
12.5K is not upper treble?
That's your objection? The top octave is 10k-20k. So from 10-12.5k it is somewhat depressed, and over 12.5k it's too much.
They’re not “seriously deficient” anywhere. Anyone who has heard them knows that. Don’t know what else to say except that they’re tuned close to Harman, but not exact.
I heard the OG. I have written elsewhere on HF that to me it is: "soporific", and that its "easy listening high end". You have lots of opinions about Hifimans in this exchange and in other posts. Why is your right to an opinion any different than mine? Have a good day.

P. S. - the graph shows the Elite with either pad has a mid/upper bass rise from 150-300 hz as well. The HEX v2 and HD-600 among other headphones conform to the Harman better than the Elite - fact per graphs, not opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #48 of 63
That's your objection? The top octave is 10k-20k. So from 10-12.5k it is somewhat depressed, and over 12.5k it's too much.

I heard the OG. I have written elsewhere on HF that to me it is: "soporific", and that its "easy listening high end". You have lots of opinions about Hifimans in this exchange and in other posts. Why is your right to an opinion any different than mine? Have a good day. I

P. S. - the graph shows the Elite with either pad has a mid/upper bass rise from 150-300 hz as well. The HEX v2 and HD-600 among other headphones conform to the Harman better than the Elite - fact per graphs, not opinion.
You’re allowed to have your opinion. Calling a fairly straightforward frequency response seriously deficient is gross hyperbole. And you must be confusing me with someone else because I’ve said very little in this thread. And we’re talking about the Elite, not the Empyrean.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #49 of 63
To folks who say Meze Elite is TOTL (in performance) what 2 channel or actual instrument do you use as your reference? If you only know "TOTL" in the headphone world, I feel like your tonal frame of reference is skewed as generally no music is mastered for headphones and you really don't know how something "should" sound either as intended by the mastering engineer or in real life if we are talking about acoustic instruments.

Same question above for people who say 007 is TOTL.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 6:28 AM Post #50 of 63
You’re allowed to have your opinion. Calling a fairly straightforward frequency response seriously deficient is gross hyperbole. And you must be confusing me with someone else because I’ve said very little in this thread. And we’re talking about the Elite, not the Empyrean.
I looked up a smattering of your posts and Hifiman seems to be a frequent target of negative comments.

Obviously we do not agree. I'm content to let the OG of this thread decide for him/her self.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #51 of 63
I think the Meze Elite is the most forgiving of any TOTL that I have heard (and I have heard quite a few). That reason, along with comfort, build quality and looks are the reason it has a foothold as one of my staples.

Sep 5, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #52 of 63
To folks who say Meze Elite is TOTL (in performance) what 2 channel or actual instrument do you use as your reference? If you only know "TOTL" in the headphone world, I feel like your tonal frame of reference is skewed as generally no music is mastered for headphones and you really don't know how something "should" sound either as intended by the mastering engineer or in real life if we are talking about acoustic instruments.

Same question above for people who say 007 is TOTL.
My 2 channel system is no Slouch Voxativ 9.87 ($60,000 in my configuration). So I think I know what TOTL sounds like in both worlds.

Sep 5, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #53 of 63
My 2 channel system is no Slouch Voxativ 9.87 ($60,000 in my configuration). So I think I know what TOTL sounds like in both worlds.
If you think the sound of Elite is TOTL and your 2 channel sounds like Elite, I can only say you enjoy a sound profile with recessed mid. I don’t like that kind of sound and I don’t think a sound profile like that is TOTL no matter how much the gear cost. my 2c.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #54 of 63
If you think the sound of Elite is TOTL and your 2 channel sounds like Elite, I can only say you enjoy a sound profile with recessed mid. I don’t like that kind of sound and I don’t think a sound profile like that is TOTL no matter how much the gear cost. my 2c.
You can dislike a headphone, but that doesn't mean it's not top of the line. I've heard most top of the line headphones in fact owned most of them. There's different reasons and different music to listen to each type. So quite honestly your dismissing of this headphone as not top of the line is kind of hollow to people that understand true top of the line headphones and the case use for each one. The purpose of the elite for me is to have a forgiving headphone with good detail and musicality. Comfortability and the ability to take it around the house is just as important. For me, this is the absolute best headphone that means these criterias. You are also forgetting that there's not such thing as a perfect headphone. Every single top of the line has a flaw. Every single one. Do you believe the abyss 1266TC is not top of the line? It has recessed mids too lol.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #55 of 63
Oh and by the way my two channel system sounds nothing like the elite. But that wasn't the reason I got the elite. I know a little something about choosing equipment. I have exact reasons for what I pick out. My reason of telling you that my speakers cost that much is to prove to you that I had a quality system and your qualify of judgment on Elite was kind of elitist lol.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #56 of 63
It looks like you equate TOTL with $ spent. So I guess in that sense Elite is certain TOTL. You are also eager to point out your speakers cost $60k, which in your view is TOTL because they are expensive. It is natural that TOTL means different things to different people and that’s okay. I don’t subscribe to the idea of if it’s expensive it must be TOTL 🤣

Sep 6, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #57 of 63
It looks like you equate TOTL with $ spent. So I guess in that sense Elite is certain TOTL. You are also eager to point out your speakers cost $60k, which in your view is TOTL because they are expensive. It is natural that TOTL means different things to different people and that’s okay. I don’t subscribe to the idea of if it’s expensive it must be TOTL 🤣
I guess you were too busy to read my actual response. Money has nothing to do with it lol

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #58 of 63
I don't want to get into this last bit of discussion directly - but it's quite true in my time in the mid/high end room stereo speaker world from 1974-2018 as hobbyist (kits, mods room fixer/designer), salesman that there is a distinct population that conflates cost with quality. Add in ego and the placebo effect and I've seen lots of big money systems that were poorly put together and often in rooms not suited to them - chasing status and affirmation of their superior taste. This carries over to the headphone segment as well.

It is also true that there are lots of good and great equipment too. As long as folks try to seek and attain pleasing audio for them in their circumstances - then as the classic Bert and Ernie sketch says "Eh, no accounting for taste". So if you like it, nobody can say you don't.

Argument such as "fun" vs "accuracy", etc. as much as I indulge in them at times usually go nowhere if they are adversarial but can be useful when not.

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #59 of 63
I thought this topic was about forgiving TOTL headphones, and not an argument about what's TOTL or money or anything remotely close to it. Topics like this always devolves into people defending their egos and subjective preferences. I remember why I left this hobby all those years ago. Smh.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #60 of 63
It is not. Ear anatomy may be playing a big role here or you may need to acclimate from the very bright tilt of Hifiman cans. The Elite actually tracks fairly close to Harman and is above neutral in the upper treble range.

Well, it's a fair comment, that user of HE1000 series will feel many many other headphones out there have deficiency in treble quantity. I can't stand their bright treble at all.

I heard the OG. I have written elsewhere on HF that to me it is: "soporific", and that its "easy listening high end". You have lots of opinions about Hifimans in this exchange and in other posts. Why is your right to an opinion any different than mine? Have a good day.

There is no "OG" Elite. What you heard perhaps Empyrean? The lesser version with darker tuning than Elite.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back