Most expensive portable amp under the sun?
Jul 26, 2005 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Nick B

Head-Fier
Greetings Learned Forum:

I have a friend who wants a portable amp, and she must have THE BEST. Her history indicates that THE BEST is always equated with THE MOST EXPENSIVE. So please people, forward me your suggestions for THE ABSOLUTE MOST EXPENSIVE PORTABLE AMP AVAILABLE TODAY.

As always, your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Nick B

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 42
If you do a search, Kevin Gilmore had a portable Stax setup that would probably be the most expensive thing out there, though I'm not sure it's easily transportable unless she's a weight lifter on the side...
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
If you do a search, Kevin Gilmore had a portable Stax setup that would probably be the most expensive thing out there, though I'm not sure it's easily transportable unless she's a weight lifter on the side...
biggrin.gif

eek.gif
...did it come with the servent to carry it for you?

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
eek.gif
...did it come with the servent to carry it for you?

It was his own personal amplifer and you know Dr Gilmore and his theory on half-measures...
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 42
Larocco Pocket Reference and the Emmeline XP-7 both check in at about $500 each, I think.

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Our new Desktop Portable amp with DAC and Home module is $1047

I think we have a winner? It's cheating to include the DAC too tho lol!
icon10.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens
Our new Desktop Portable amp with DAC and Home module is $1047

No, added DAC is cheating!
biggrin.gif
The Cosmic with Reference Module is $879. Come on, I bet you still have some
wink.gif

BTW, would you say the Desktop Portable with Home module is surpassing the Cosmic Reference?

Jul 26, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
Hey, is that girl single?

I like girls with good taste AND money.

I wonder whether it's the same girl that needed the most expensive earbuds the other day *g*

BTW, Nick B, the most expensive does not make for the most portable. The Headroom Cosmic is insanely great (maybe Tyll wants to give me *his* suggestion for free so I can evaluate & praise that one as well
wink.gif
) but for portable use you will even have to throw in another $149 so you can carry it http://www.headphone.com/products/sy...aveler-bag.php not to speak of the battery pack http://www.headphone.com/products/ad...ic-supreme.php which is included, but you want to have an idea about the size. So you're friend better have a car or be sporty. If the answer is still "yes" people will start demanding photos soon
wink.gif

If she wants sth. more porta- than luggable you should tell her that the ray samuels amps are the most expensive, or even the Xin SuperMacro (more little levers).

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 42
I have a custom Supermacro MkI (no volume pot, much like a "pure" stereo power amp) that I don't use anymore since I got my MkIII.

I am willing to let go of the MkI for, say, $4,999. Plus shipping, I should add.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2005 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 42

Users who are viewing this thread

Back