Most dynamic and lively sounding closed back headphones
Jul 18, 2020 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

rblnr

New Head-Fier
Coming from a pair of first gen DCA Aeon Flows — looking for a closed back set that is more dynamic and lively than those. While I appreciated tonality and smoothness of the Flows, they lacked some engagement for me as they were not particularly alive and dynamic-sounding. And I was driving them primarily w/the excellent Questyle QPR2 DAP (when it worked), which certainly was able to drive them powerfully.

So, back to the title — any recs for a closed set that is more dynamic and lively, up to about $1K or so. Will likely be using an AK SR25 to drive.

in a brief look, am considering the Focal Elegia and Beyer DT1770. Thanks for any recs!

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 4
I wonder if better amplification and music would bring your AFC in line with what I hear. They are one of the most engaging and up-front sounding closer back I’ve heard.

To me dynamics come from punchy bass and midrange emphasis which the AFC has. The larger the driver the more engaging and dynamic the headphone will sound because there is simply more air and thus sound moving.

I highly recommend starting with a Schiit Heresy and if that improves the AFC sound move up to a balanced amp like the Drop AAA 789 etc.

Please list your musical tastes and supply us with some reference music that is currently in your collection so we can suggest some new stuff that may sound a little more dynamic.

If all of that fails to draw you into your music a DAC may be in order. When I lose dynamics it usually means my DAC is not outputting at least 2 volts which makes my amp struggle. A simple $250 or less investment into a better DAC which outputs 2v RMS or more should be in order.

At most you’re looking at less than $400 of new gear that should absolutely bring your AFC alive.

I mention all of this because I own the AFO and also enjoy the AFC for both dynamics and fun. I’ll bet my suggestions above brings them back to life!

If not you should start looking at something like the LCD-XC, but that may be outside your budget depending on what you can find them for.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 4
The most dynamic closed headphone is FOSTEX TH900 without doubt.

IMG_20200715_113549.jpg

Best Regards

Sisco

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 4
I wonder if better amplification and music would bring your AFC in line with what I hear. They are one of the most engaging and up-front sounding closer back I’ve heard.

To me dynamics come from punchy bass and midrange emphasis which the AFC has. The larger the driver the more engaging and dynamic the headphone will sound because there is simply more air and thus sound moving.

I highly recommend starting with a Schiit Heresy and if that improves the AFC sound move up to a balanced amp like the Drop AAA 789 etc.

Please list your musical tastes and supply us with some reference music that is currently in your collection so we can suggest some new stuff that may sound a little more dynamic.

If all of that fails to draw you into your music a DAC may be in order. When I lose dynamics it usually means my DAC is not outputting at least 2 volts which makes my amp struggle. A simple $250 or less investment into a better DAC which outputs 2v RMS or more should be in order.

At most you’re looking at less than $400 of new gear that should absolutely bring your AFC alive.

I mention all of this because I own the AFO and also enjoy the AFC for both dynamics and fun. I’ll bet my suggestions above brings them back to life!

If not you should start looking at something like the LCD-XC, but that may be outside your budget depending on what you can find them for.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. What I can tell you in brief is that among what I listen to which runs the gamut of genres but majority is rock/blues/electronic, I also frequently play a lot test tracka that are very or extremely well recorded with generally low compression — stuff that in some cases I’ve played for 25+ years on hundreds of systems (stereo speakers, not cans). Can list some if you’re interested. Last datapoint, Dan Clark recommended the QPR.

Point being, I’m pretty confident about my impression of the Flows, While I enjoyed the liquidity, and am fan of ribbon/planar drivers in speakers, I just found a lack of prat and bottom line engagement in the Flows, much as the soundstage, smoothness, and transparency were nice. Pretty confident too it wasn’t a frequency response issue.

That all said, I’m a headphone neophyte. Maybe it is the amp/DAC as you suggest. Dunno. So let me clarify a bit what I’m looking for : A portable system of closed back headphones and DAP (or iPhone/amp) that favors dynamic (macro and micro) engagement and liveliness over, say, ultimate smoothness or soundstaging. Total price about 2k.

Thanks again for the considered reply and any response appreciated.

And I’ll look into the Fostex set, thx.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back