Most durable Shure SE535 cable?
Mar 14, 2019 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JK49

New Head-Fier
Hi, I have a pair of Shure SE535 earphones that I love, however I have gone through like 4 replacement cables for them in the 5 or so years that I had them. Most of the issues regarding the cables is that because they're being coiled and bent over use that the cables begin to break at the neck next to the audio jack or next to the earphone connector. So I will have to fiddle with the cable until its in the right position to hear audio in the earphones again. Therefore I was wondering what 3rd party cables are most durable and not likely to break over repeated coiling/bending? Also a braided cable would be preferable instead of a plastic jacket.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 7
You can consider cable from ALO Audio. They are durable but the price is high. Durability is subjected to how you take care of your cable.

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 7
You can consider cable from ALO Audio. They are durable but the price is high. Durability is subjected to how you take care of your cable.
I've had a look at their cables and they are quite expensive. Why are they so expensive aren't they just copper and rubber? Also what makes them more durable than the standard cables from shure. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 7
There are believer and non believer for cable. Some people find good cable actually improves the sound quality. Subjective. Durability wise based on my experience. I used my ALO litz cable for years and it serves me well.

Mar 19, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi @JK49,

As @yong_shun stated, sound quality also depends on people, so whether a pricey cable improves sound quality, staging, etc, is highly subjective & personal.
One thing to keep in mind, it doesn't matter which side one falls in, aftermarket cables don't change said head gear's basic sound signature, only tune it to a certain degree...or not...
All depends on you...
This is why regardless, demos, if possible, are important.

Aside from sound, there are many other reasons to consider an aftermarket cable, oftentimes, some aftermarket cables work out cheaper in the long run than the stock cable replacement or maybe just 'more comfortable' than the stock, which depending on your personal & subjective point of view, makes all the difference as does durability which @yong_shun also mentioned...

There are plenty of aftermarket cables which don't cost as much as ALO cables & personally & subjectively, are just as good for various reasons, if not better but this is just this one's humble opinion.
Penon-official.com, Penon Audio's cable arm, veclan.com & null-audio.com are provide aftermarket cables which are decent to good, 'cheaper' alternatives.

The important thing is to trust your own opinion & ears with the added consideration of comfort.

Hope you have a great day !

Mar 21, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Hi @JK49,

As @yong_shun stated, sound quality also depends on people, so whether a pricey cable improves sound quality, staging, etc, is highly subjective & personal.
One thing to keep in mind, it doesn't matter which side one falls in, aftermarket cables don't change said head gear's basic sound signature, only tune it to a certain degree...or not...
All depends on you...
This is why regardless, demos, if possible, are important.

Aside from sound, there are many other reasons to consider an aftermarket cable, oftentimes, some aftermarket cables work out cheaper in the long run than the stock cable replacement or maybe just 'more comfortable' than the stock, which depending on your personal & subjective point of view, makes all the difference as does durability which @yong_shun also mentioned...

There are plenty of aftermarket cables which don't cost as much as ALO cables & personally & subjectively, are just as good for various reasons, if not better but this is just this one's humble opinion.
Penon-official.com, Penon Audio's cable arm, veclan.com & null-audio.com are provide aftermarket cables which are decent to good, 'cheaper' alternatives.

The important thing is to trust your own opinion & ears with the added consideration of comfort.

Hope you have a great day !
Hi, thanks for the detailed reply I think I'm going for the ARETE SERIES MKIII PREMIUM by Null Audio, as they seem to have great durability/build quality and great reviews. Also, I'm wondering if you personally believe that a high-end aftermarket cable will improve sound quality or not as I have no experience with high-end aftermarket cables? And what is your favourite after market headphone cable seller if you have one? Thanks, James.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back