Most Durable cord on IEM/Buds?
Feb 18, 2007 at 9:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

alpha80

500+ Head-Fier
Looks like alot of people like Shure E5 for IEM's:http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...=thickest+cord

...But given that the IEM/Bud market been exploding over the last few years, I'd guess new sets been coming out constantly....

...What, IYE, what has been the strongest, thickest, most durable cord on:

1. IEM's
2. Earbuds

Thanks.
Peace.

Feb 18, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 12
The cord on the newer Super.fi 5 Pros are very strong.

Feb 18, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 12
My Triport IEs have a very sturdy construction, far better than the full-size Bose headphones. The cord is quite thick, much more so than the weak cord of the (equally priced) Sony EX90s, and the jack protrudes from a strong plastic surround. A (light, I don't want to intentionally damage them!) tug on the cord gives me the feeling that it's not going anywhere.

Technically they're not IEMs, since they don't isolate. These are in-ear buds.

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically they're not IEMs, since they don't isolate. These are in-ear buds.

For sure. I was asking generally about any IEM/Canal/Bud type phones....

Shiiiii!!, let's go ahead and add process of elimination too.....
...tell me which IEM/Canal/Bud has the least durable garbage cord...

Thanks people.

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 12
Thickness of cord doesn't matter. The ER6i has, what on first impression would be a thin, flimsy cord, but it is actually very strong and durable. Mine has lasted around 18mths so far and it gets a lot of abuse. On the other hand, I have seen thicker cords disintegrate in a matter of months. (Sony's come to mind)

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Are you teething? I think you will have trouble chewing through most of the IEMs available. As mentioned earlier the er6i at least seems pretty durable.

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 12
UE10
FX33 and PK1 cord has proven to be very durable. I have fallen asleep on them both several times.

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 12
i fall asleep with um1s in my ears pretty much everynight for the past three weeks with no signs of problems. that along with very little microphonics i would say westone did well. as i said ive only had them for 3 weeks so if anyone has had bad experiences, feel free to refute my statement.

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 12
The cord on Shure E2s is of thick gauge, a bit longer than normal IEM/earbud cords, and has a sturdy right-angle plug. I've abused a pair for about three years now and no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back