Most disappointing headphone purchase
May 12, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #286 of 317
the most dissapointing for me was a few years back. I picked up a set of $90aud odd IEM's by panasonic (I think). They sounded worse than a cheapie set of creatives I bought to replace them when they went missing. I used to use them at uni when I was studying up in the library and whatnot. That was the last place I saw them, and while I probably just left them somewhere, if they were stolen... Joke's on the theif.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #287 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going by the OP's thread title, "Most Disappointing Headphone Purchase", my choice was the RS-1 due to price point and sound quality. That is why it is disappointing to me. I don't think it is the "worst" headphone.

It is good, just not what I expected from a $699.00 headphone.

totally agree, i would love to have RS-1 if the price is not that high. in fact whenever i have an opportunity i always wanted to try this again and again, without paying
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #288 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
totally agree, i would love to have RS-1 if the price is not that high. in fact whenever i have an opportunity i always wanted to try this again and again, without paying
biggrin.gif

Ditto, I definitely would not pay for the RS-1 again at full retail price.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #289 of 317
hey guys, i'm new here, side question, do you think it's fine for me to change my avatar now and then? i kinda get bored if i stick to one face all of the time. is it against the 'ethics' here to change a familiar 'face'?

i love this thread, can throw any garbage outta my head without being challenged with all the graph and signal ratio explanations.

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #290 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooLy_oNE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sennheiser cx300....did not sound good at all

not using it most of the time, only for bass deafening hip hop i will change to this and usually i can stand only about less than 15 minutes after putting them on, but i still keep them
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #291 of 317
Probably, my most disappointing thing I got were basic earphones after hearing really nice headphones.

I would have been disappointed if I got the Sennheiser HD280 Pro as I was really planning to, but luckily I tried a friend's and realized I didn't like them.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #292 of 317
Wanted to open a similar thread, I'm sure you won't mind me bringing this one back up.

My only real disappointment has been with the MDR-1A, I was probably expecting too much.
At the time the X2s were my main pair and since they are in the same price range I would have expected comparable performance (besides the obvious closed/open difference).
But the bass was all over the place and the detail retrieval was pretty "basic", nothing I would consider hi-fi (not that the word means much). They just didn't add anything to the listening experience. 
The comfort was their best feat, along with the looks. But they sounded like a random cheap headphone.

Luckily enough they were purchased through Amazon. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #294 of 317
A Set of early akg k44   I think they were called, and the senn HD465....not great., But I do enjoy my hd 580 and grado 325i.....

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #295 of 317
Every custom in-ear monitor I've owned (UE11pro, UERM, Westone ES5, Livewires Trips, Kozee?, Aurisonics AS2, Heir Audio 4.A & 8A, reshelled triplefi10 and Klipsch Custom 3).  Fell for the hype on a few and with 20%+ off rare sales that comes and goes like a fart in the wind.  Reasons: 
  1. The choking sensation of the resale prices if it can be resold (my AS2 couldn't be sold)
  2. At the end of it all, my ears don't like the full shell acrylics or silicone for long periods (2+ hrs), but my mind was stuck with, "well, I paid a grand for it, better convince myself to love it."
  3. Universal performance has seriously leaped frog over many of those customs, or many of those customs now have a universal counterpart.

In retrospect, could've and would've saved thousands if I just stayed with headphones and universals, and learned from my losses after the first one or two.

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #296 of 317
My biggest disappointment was the HE-400I. Now don't get me wrong they were extremely detailed and pretty well extended, but soundstage and bass was complete crap. I used to think of myself as a basshead but I've been around the block and back when it comes to headphones and I love a smooth extended headphone with deep bass, not overpowered bloated bass but deep prominent bass. That is why I bought me some lcd-2s and OMG it's the perfect headphone for me.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #297 of 317
Most disappointing: Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 250 ohm (aka "2005 version").
Next-to-the-most disappointing: Sennheiser HD700.

Was the hd 700's a price for performance issue or an I hate these headphones issue?

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #299 of 317
My biggest disappointments were mid level Sennheisers. All the models with velour basically. I really wanted velour hahaha. Thought the sound was decent or ok with mids and highs, I came to the conclusion that Sennheiser doesn't know what bass is. Considering some of those models had marketing on the packaging that suggested they were made to produce at least a decent amount of bass. Couldn't buy a headphone where there was no feeling in the music, and couldn't handle drums and bass. If a headphone or speaker is only giving you good mids and highs you are only getting 2/3rds of headphone or speaker. Should be 2/3rds the price then of HP's and speakers that give you all 3. Not worth the money.

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #300 of 317
AT M-50x  I bought into all the hype and got them. I tried to like them but uncomfortable mediocre sound. Returned Them. Just my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back