Most detailed headphones ~£400
Jan 28, 2017 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

daninthemix80

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I am aware of this thread but it's quite old. Prioritising detail / transparency over all else, what are good headphones to look at today, for under £500?

This will be 100% for PC use, so I also need a suitable DAC / amp (integrated, discrete, USB-powered if possible).

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 16
If you want detail and transparency, then electrostatic is the way to go.

There is the Koss ESP950, which sometimes can be found new for about your budget limit.

Then there is STAX (which I own myself). The new SRS-3100 is probably also at the limit of your budget. Here is one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STAX-SRS-3100-Ear-Speaker-System-201604-EMS-Speedpost-From-Japan-/182386232847?hash=item2a77110e0f:g:~d0AAOSwsN9XBadf

I own the SR-407 together with an SRM-3 energizer. I was very lucky to get this system on the second hand market when the SR-407 was just 3 months old for just €450 (by far the best deal I ever made for headphones). If you have time and patience, and you don't mind second hand, you might find some good deals.

Other headphones I have been able to compare the Staxes, while holding onto them for a good while are: Beyerdynamic T1 (early build and later build. Not the T1.2), HiFiMan HE-560, Sennheiser HD-600 and HD700, Shure SRH-1840.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #3 of 16
sennheiser hd650. stax is also good (+1). for detail, grado are also pretty good. if you can, the ps500e. if not then the rs series. the sr/prestige series are also quite detailed. but they have that well-known sharp highs..

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 16
I was after detail too and got a Grado GH-1. But soon realized that it is fatiguing and really hard for me listen to them for longer hours. If Grado, I'd suggest testing them in a local store if possible.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 16
From the Grados I would say that they are certainly detailed, but not really transparent.

For the Oppo PM-3 together with the HA-2 SE, I think it might be a reasonable combination if you really want portability as well. You will not only be paying for the sound quality, but also for the effort that went into designing it in a small form factor.

For the best detail overall, I think there are better desktop solutions within the same price range. Considering the PC use only, I made the recommendations from my previous post.

Going into a bit more detail why I prefer the transparency and detail from electrostats:
Planars usually have a wonderful bass with great speed, detail and almost 'palpable' feel. However, the treble often sounds either uneven or 'plasticky'. By that I mean that the treble doesn't sound very natural to me. I know not everyone experiences it like that, but that is what I think. The treble and mids on the electrostats are the very best I have heard on any headphone. The bass is good to, but the mids and treble stand out because of the black, noiseless background, the great speed and the micro details.
Dynamic headphones can have great detail too, but are often more grainy and in general less transparent.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 16
  From the Grados I would say that they are certainly detailed, but not really transparent.

For the Oppo PM-3 together with the HA-2 SE, I think it might be a reasonable combination if you really want portability as well. You will not only be paying for the sound quality, but also for the effort that went into designing it in a small form factor.

For the best detail overall, I think there are better desktop solutions within the same price range. Considering the PC use only, I made the recommendations from my previous post.

Going into a bit more detail why I prefer the transparency and detail from electrostats:
Planars usually have a wonderful bass with great speed, detail and almost 'palpable' feel. However, the treble often sounds either uneven or 'plasticky'. By that I mean that the treble doesn't sound very natural to me. I know not everyone experiences it like that, but that is what I think. The treble and mids on the electrostats are the very best I have heard on any headphone. The bass is good to, but the mids and treble stand out because of the black, noiseless background, the great speed and the micro details.
Dynamic headphones can have great detail too, but are often more grainy and in general less transparent.

I'm very grateful for your recommendations, however I would also like kit that is easily and quickly available brand new in the UK, where I am (think Amazon Prime quick and easy). Would prefer to avoid second hand or obscure, difficult to obtain stuff.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 16
I would recommend that you look at the HE400i. Very detailed and transparent, in your price range. You could get the Oppo to accompany it or something like the Fulla 2. Or even the E17K.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 16
  That of course is a matter of personal opinion. Me, personally? I think it (the 400i) is a more detailed headphone with more instrument separation and more forward vocals. The PM-3 is to me a much more laid back presentation. Some people prefer that. I don't. FWIW. --)

Thanks. Am also after an integrated DAC / amp - what do you suggest?

Feb 3, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 16
That sounds like a great combination. Enjoy it 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back