Most detailed, articulate sound?
Oct 25, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #16 of 38

Quote:
Very much so in the middle-upper frequencies where a lot of the guitar chords and vocals take place.

It's my opinion, but they reproduce guitar unlike any other headphone ~ at any price.

Paired with the E10's natural warmish like signature it will help tame the occasional treble spike
that Grados are renowned for, but then again so are the AKG's.

Great example today, trying to see if my AKG K601 could run out of an iPod helped
along by a Fostex H1-P1 (combination DAC and Amp)

It sounded thin and a tad harsh, listenable but disappointing for the money spent
on the Fostex. Full sized ancillaries is the only way with the big AKG's.

How do drums sound on the Grados? Crisp?

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #21 of 38
K702 is detailed, has a wide soundstage, but not particularlly articulate. Also, it lacking a certain "umph" in the bass for Rock. As for amps, I've been using mine with a Schiit Valhalla and they sound great. Not amazing because the Valhalla really doesn't play to the K702 strengths.

If you want to further compliment the K702's highs which are awesome to begin with, maybe a NuForce HDP (although it's bright and might only give the illusion of detail).

Oct 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #22 of 38
The K702s sound like what you are looking for to me as well, I love mine, but it really does need an amp. Grados are fine unamped, they won't give you a very large soundstage though.... if that is really important to you......

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #23 of 38
As RexAeterna said, you're clearly looking for Sony's SA5000 .

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #27 of 38

Quote:
But as far as details go, are they as good as the K702's?

I have only heard the 225is briefly, so it is hard for me to make an accurate comparison. With that said, I found the grados to be plenty detailed, and pleasant sounding. however, I feel that strictly speaking in terms of detail the 701/2s beat most headphones in your price range..... Grados are widely recommended for rock, and I think that they would be great for stuff like rush though. =]

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #28 of 38

Quote:
I have only heard the 225is briefly, so it is hard for me to make an accurate comparison. With that said, I found the grados to be plenty detailed, and pleasant sounding. however, I feel that strictly speaking in terms of detail the 701/2s beat most headphones in your price range..... Grados are widely recommended for rock, and I think that they would be great for stuff like rush though. =]

Leaning towards the Grados, since they don't need a full size amp like the K702's

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #30 of 38

Quote:
As RexAeterna said, you're clearly looking for Sony's SA5000 .

X2.

Pros: Super detailed, incredibly transparent, wide, airy, articulate soundstage, just beautiful.
Cons: They are incredibly revealing. Therefore poorly mastered music, and poor sources need not apply. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back