Most creative electronic artists?
Jul 30, 2004 at 10:38 AM Post #31 of 45
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Yello.

My other favourites:

Tangerine Dream (since the 60's man!)
Shpongle
The Orb
Jean Michel Jarre
Bach (way ahead of his time)

Jul 30, 2004 at 11:20 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Bach (way ahead of his time)

Britains!
First you bombed us and we lost the war, and now we have to stand your confusing humour.
I give up. Unconditional surrender.
The only band on your recommendation list I didn't already listen to is Shpongle.My download service offers:
1) Are You Shpongled?
2) Tales of the Inexpressible
3) Shpongle Remixed
Which one is worth listening?
You could also recommend single favorite songs, I don't have to download whole albums.
BTW, I'm still waiting for your lessons in regard to recording and sampling farts in the field and in the studio.
blink.gif

Jul 31, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #33 of 45
no one even mentioned squarepusher.

he is really an interesting guy. his music is between jazz, funk, drum'n'bass noise electronic experimental, etc. you never know what his next work will sound like.

he is experimenting a lot with strange effects-equipment from eventide and is programming them by himself, but he is also a great bass-player and a real "musician", not like many of these "electronic artists" out there, who know how to tweak some knobs on synthesizers and loop some sequences with a step-sequencer but have no idea about music at all.

other quite interesting artists are coming from scandinavia and are mixing jazz with electronica like bugge wesseltoft or nils petter molvaer, beady belle etc.

Jul 31, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #34 of 45
Most creative artist? I assume those who have push electronic music boundry even further, There are few I can list,

Ryoji Ikeda
Marcus Popp (Oval)
Pete Namlook
Tetsu Inoue
Richie Hawtin
Bill Laswell
Pole
Autechre
Richard D James (Aphex Twin)
Taylor Deupree and artist at 12K/Line label
Squarepusher
Mouse on Mars

Jul 31, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
The only band in your recommendation list I didn't already listen to is Shpongle.My download service offers:
1) Are You Shpongled?
2) Tales of the Inexpressible
3) Shpongle Remixed
Which one is worth listening?
You could also recommend single favorite songs, I don't have to download whole albums.

My favorite Shpongle track is Behind Closed Eyelids, track 5 on the Are You Shpongled? album.

Jul 31, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #37 of 45
I'm also in a search for new electronic artists.

Could you guys please list your favorite specific TRACKS by these artists?
Often times I find an artist with 1 or 2 really good songs, and find that I don't like their other songs very much, that's why I don't like having to listen through bunches of albums to find the "gems". For me, it's rare to find an artists whose music I completely like.

Aug 2, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #38 of 45
The most creative electronic that I have heard is by far Fennesz if you are judging it just by how unique it sounds. It's not electronic at all in the way that Aphex Twin or Amon Tobin are...instead of programming beats and laying down track upon track, Fennesz creates some truly amazing and eerie sounds using cut-up and fuzzed-out guitar, xylophone, washes of static and pink noise, and hell, some sounds I will never be able to figure out. No drums, somewhere between ambient and traditional structure. With all the noise that he uses, it still manages to have some saccharine melodies (think MBV's Loveless and the way it balances noise and melody so perfectly).

It's a shame that this album isn't better known. It takes cut up and digitally processed music and makes it seem warm and organic.

Aug 2, 2004 at 2:48 PM Post #39 of 45
I'll second William Orbit - Try "TheBestOfStrangeCargos" - a very engaging collection of electronica and human voice over electronica.

Aug 3, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #43 of 45
Agree with most of the suggestions, just a couple to add. I can't believe noones mentioned this yet, but the avalanches, since I left you is one really amazing album, hundreds upon hundreds of samples of all sorts of weird stuff making sweet sweet music. Also Mo' Horizons, not particularly different or weird, but it's amazing variety of traditional and ethnic music they give an electronic treatment too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back