Most creative electronic artists?
Jul 25, 2004 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
You guys seem to know a lot about electronica so I thought I'd ask this here. Been looking to possibly get into some other electronic artists that I don't know about, since I'd like to add more music to my CD collection.

Looking for "artists" here, not just any electronic acts. Pretty much anyone can slap together some synths and beats and call it a day, even my #1 favorite electronic group The Crystal Method pretty much does only that. Yeah sure, so I think TCM kicks the most ass, but they don't PUSH anything musically.

I'm talking groups like Orbital, Massive Attack, Future Sound of London...stuff that goes beyond being mere "electronica"...

Jul 25, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 45
most creative? Kraftwerk! Hell they invented the stuff
biggrin.gif

Orbital is my favourate but it's already mentioned.

Jul 25, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 45
I'd say Autechre. They're not really limited by genres or preconceptions. Every album is different. The most recent albums have been getting harder and harder to listen to for me, sometimes taking me over a year to start really enjoying.

If you were going to investigate Autechre, I'd recommend doing it approximately chronologically, starting with Amber or Incunabula. If you jumped in with Confield you would run a mile and never come back
biggrin.gif

JMHO

Jul 26, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 45
Try the Propellerheads. For Her Majesty's Secret Service is a great electronica sendup of the james bond movies. Badass.

Jul 26, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 45
Richie Hawtin aka Plastikman
Shpongle
Amon Tobin (nice call on this one)
The Orb
Atom Heart
Tetsu Inoue
Inade
Chemical Brothers
Underworld

I know the last two are more mainstream but they really do branch out.

I would also put Bjork up there. That woman is definitely on the electronica side of things and she is most definitely experimental.

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 45
try

Fennesz - endless summer - even though he process the instruments elctronically, it still sounds very organic

Mum -Yesterday was dramatic today was okay - very delicate icelandic electro. Lot's of percussion

Bjork - Homogenic and Vespertine - her voice plays a very big role in the music. It helps to balance the intensity of the electronic percussion

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 45
boards of canada
decepively simple, moody electronica

brian eno
pioneer of ambient music and synth music in general

wendy carlos
another brilliant pioneer

jean michel jarre
check out his classic "oxygene"

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #13 of 45
It might be old for your tastes, but throbbing gristle did some amazing stuff. Pick up 20 jazz funk greats if you want something more conventional. Coil and early Psychic TV are also excellent.

Jul 26, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter

wendy carlos
another brilliant pioneer

jean michel jarre
check out his classic "oxygene"

I remember when 'he' was Walter Carlos! "Switched on Bach".

And; I have 2 or 3 Jean Michel Jarre LPs - good stuff! "Oxygene" is real good.

But...............where are they now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back