Most Consistent Conductor(s)
Dec 11, 2008 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FinnishFlash

Head-Fier
Today when listening to the wonderful Mackerras/SCO recording of Mozart's symphonies 38-41 (who would have thought an 80y+ jack-of-all-trades and a regional UK modern-instrument band would out-HIP the HIP camp at their on game?), it struck me what a remarkably versatile and, above all, consistent conductor Charles Mackerras is. Decade after decade, he has been putting out records of a remarkably high standard of quality and you very rarely if ever hear a critical word about his work. His achievement is even more remarkable when you consider that, unlike some of his superstar colleagues, he has not had continuous access to the first tier orchestras of the world. This makes me think that Charles Mackeras must be one of the most consistent recording conductors around.

Another name that comes to mind, although his recorded output is not by far as vast, is Osmo Vänskä. AFAIK never having made a bad recording, this guy has arguably set new modern-day standards for Sibelius and Beethoven playing, and in the process brought two lesser known orchestras, Lahti and Minnesota, to the spotlight of the classical industry.

To try and liven up the currently rather slow classical discussion in these pages I thought I'd ask you: who is/are, in your view and based on the quality of their recorded output, the most consistent conductor(s), past or present?

Dec 12, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #2 of 4
You're right about Mackerras: I can't think of any duds in his output. Maybe it's because he doesn't try to do so much like many jet set conductors. He spends time studying and really getting to know the music, and then probably only records music he truly believes in.

Other living conductors who seem to have a highly consistent output might include your compatriot, Osmo Vanska. Nickolaus Harnoncourt has a pretty good record, too.

From the past, Fritz Reiner and Paul Paray certainly fill the bill, and perhaps George Szell. Of course, no one on the podium gets it right 100% of the time. What always amazes me is the big-name conductors who turn out so many miserable recordings yet make record after record. Two living ones whose work is execrable to me are Rico Saccani and Vladimir Fedoseyev.

Dec 12, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 4
Agreed on Mackerras and would add Kleiber and Jochum to that list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back