Most compact way to go from USB -> (mini)TOSLink?
Nov 4, 2013 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

I've done a search on here and Google, but can't seem to find anything suitable (my Google-fu isn't the best!)

I currently have an AK100 which I love and I would like to be able to use it as a soundcard for my Surface Pro 2. The AK100 works as a USB DAC only via USB2 ports and the Surface Pro only has a USB 3 port.

My next option is the mini TOSLink input of the AK100, but the Surface Pro does not have an optical output....

So.... is there a device to convert USB to Optical that is very small and portable? I don't need any other function/features that would increase the size of such a device.

Thanks for any help
Paul

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 12
I've done a search on here and Google, but can't seem to find anything suitable (my Google-fu isn't the best!)
I currently have an AK100 which I love and I would like to be able to use it as a sound card for my Surface Pro 2. The AK100 works as a USB DAC only via USB2 ports and the Surface Pro only has a USB 3 port.
My next option is the mini TOSLink input of the AK100, but the Surface Pro does not have an optical output....
So.... is there a device to convert USB to Optical that is very small and portable? I don't need any other function/features that would increase the size of such a device.

A USB 3.0 port should have no problem functioning as a USB 2.0 port.
(backward compatible).

Just need a standard USB (type A) to micro- 5pin (B) cable,
Which i believe came with your AK100.
If not, I believe this is it.
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=8640&seq=1&format=2

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 12
You would think so, but alas, this is not the case. Astell; & Kern have confirmed that the AK100/120 will not function as a USB DAC on a USB 3 port under a 64-bit operating system.

I have read it is something to do with the firmware not being compatible with the windows 8 audio drivers. Either way, I can't get it to work at all and I'm not alone. I've tried different cables and have confirmed that my AK100 works perfectly as a USB DAC via the USB 2.0 ports on my desktop.

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 12
You would think so, but alas, this is not the case. Astell; & Kern have confirmed that the AK100/120 will not function as a USB DAC on a USB 3 port under a 64-bit operating system.

I have read it is something to do with the firmware not being compatible with the windows 8 audio drivers. Either way, I can't get it to work at all and I'm not alone. I've tried different cables and have confirmed that my AK100 works perfectly as a USB DAC via the USB 2.0 ports on my desktop.

I believe on eBay there are a lot of cheap USB DACs that also come with a S/PDIF optical output.

Why do you even need to output digital audio from the Surface Pro 2 to the AK100?

You could always get an Audio-GD NFB-15.32 DAC/Amp, $255 + shipping.
Really makes headphones sound NICE.

Nov 5, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #5 of 12
Why do you even need to output digital audio from the Surface Pro 2 to the AK100?

Because the headphone out of the surface sucks and the AK100 sounds great. I want to be able to listen to Pandora and Xbox Music on the Surface without having to carry around my ODAC & Step2Dance combo.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #6 of 12
USB and optical streaming of digital audio function so differently, it's not a straight conversion kind of thing. I would think you'd be better off with a USB DAC and play music directly off the tablet. See if an Audioquest Dragonfly would work. Might not be the same sound as your AK100, but most certainly way better than the Surface.

Nov 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 12
USB and optical streaming of digital audio function so differently, it's not a straight conversion kind of thing. I would think you'd be better off with a USB DAC and play music directly off the tablet. See if an Audioquest Dragonfly would work. Might not be the same sound as your AK100, but most certainly way better than the Surface.

Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the best way to go unfortunately.

I'll take a look at the AK10 and see if that will offer decent performance (if it works over USB3). Initial user impressions seem positive so far.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 12
Turtle Beach makes a nice and inexpensive option. I have the Audio Advantage Micro II. It works with both my USB2 and USB3 ports.

That looks to be exactly what I'm after. At that price I will certainly give it a go!

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 12
Did a bit of research into the surface2. I believe it's still running WindowsRT, which might not work with the Micro II. Unless there is some type of work around. But the Micro II doesn't need any drivers to work on normal computers, it's simply plug and play.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 12
Did a bit of research into the surface2. I believe it's still running WindowsRT, which might not work with the Micro II. Unless there is some type of work around. But the Micro II doesn't need any drivers to work on normal computers, it's simply plug and play.

I'm using the Surface Pro 2 (Windows 8.1 Pro) so all should be well :)

I've ordered the Turtle Beach unit (had to use eBay as no one in Aus seems to sell them) so we'll see how I go :)

Thanks again,
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back