Most comfortable under-$175 IEMs?
Mar 11, 2007 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

feh1325

Headphoneus Supremus
be careful if there's traffic. you don't wanna get hit
maybe just a canalphone like
creative ep630
sennheiser cx300

in terms of clarity and comfort, the er6i trump my shure e3g. but thats just my two cents
and if bi or triflanges aren't your thing, you can always get foamies, comply tips or the shure flex sleeves.

etymotic, shure (except e2x), and westone iems have the same sized nozzle

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi, I perform a lot of deliveries and I'm out in the noisy street all the time. I have to raise the volume of my Sennheiser PX100s to possibly-unhealthy levels when there is a lot of traffic, so I'm looking for affordable IEMs which will sound at least as good as my Sennheiser cans but let me listen to music at lower levels while also blocking out traffic noise.

I listen to my iPod for up to 2-3 hours at a time so I need something pretty comfortable. If it isn't comfortable I won't wear it.

I've never worn IEMs before.

I know I can get the E6i mailorder for under $75, but I'm willing to pay more if I can get an IEM that's as comfortable as possible. (I hear great things about the comfort of the Westone UM2, but that's just outside my budget.)

Any recommendations? Or should I just go for the E6i?

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #3 of 12
Westone UM1 and audio-technica ATH-CK9

Mar 11, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 12
if you are looking for comfortable, Ill steer you away from etys personally. shures are nice because they come with 4 different kinds of tips to choose from, and I personally find the flex sleeves to be very comfortable.

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 12
Of my collection, In this order:
d-JAYS
FX33

I feel no need to mod either of these to increase comfort. If the MDR-EX90 had a Y cable, it would be on par with these two.

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 12
ER6s with double flanges were not bad at all. But when comparing w. the EP630s, they (Ety's) feel like corks.

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 12
ive tried um1s, e2cs, and er6is and i would say the um1s are most comfortable by far. Ive worn them for around 8 hours straight with no discomfort, plus sleeping. Getting a seal is a snap, while the er6is take me quite a bit of time (although i dont own them and haven't "broken them in"). ive also found that er6is have more microphonics than um1s. overall um1s sound like theyd be very good for you.

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
etymotic, shure (except e2x), and westone iems have the same sized nozzle

Okay, I'm seeing a lot of love for the $110 UM1 Westones.

But if

• they have the same size nozzle, and
• Westones use foam tips

a) does that mean that the Eymotics will be as comfortable as the Westones if I used their foam tips instead, or

b) are Westone's foam tips shaped better?

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

a) does that mean that the Eymotics will be as comfortable as the Westones if I used their foam tips instead, or

No, it is not only matter of sleeves you are using. Etymotic are completely different earphones, they are more like earbuds (cable straight down etc.)
Quote:

b) are Westone's foam tips shaped better?

Comply Canal Tips are most comfy tips I've ever used. Other foamies are not as well made as Westones one are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back