Most comfortable, portable, over the ear cans? Under $200
Nov 24, 2014 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Droppedin

Head-Fier
My Koss DJ Pro 100's are ok but looking for some thing else. I know comfort is subjective but that is the MOST important thing. I got a larger head. I also plan on taking them with me for portable use too. Using an IPhone 5 mainly for music. All types of music but mainly rock, reggae and alternative. Like Springsteen, Slightly Stoopid and Dirty Heads. Also for streaming Netflix, etc. Maybe some PS4 use. Been reading the forums about some popular Sony, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, etc. in regards to comfort. Short lists for under $100? Over $100, don't want to go over $200. Any recommendations or things to stay clear from? Are those refurbished 558's a good deal? Are the MD1R legit? What Beyerdynamic model would be best? I am partial deaf in my right ear so sound I do not have the best ears to enjoy the certain components of higher stereo quality. I got the Koss's for the mono switch because of that reason. Anyway thanks in advance for any free advice or suggestions. You guys are great.

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 10
My Koss DJ Pro 100's are ok but looking for some thing else. I know comfort is subjective but that is the MOST important thing. I got a larger head. I also plan on taking them with me for portable use too. Using an IPhone 5 mainly for music. All types of music but mainly rock, reggae and alternative. Like Springsteen, Slightly Stoopid and Dirty Heads. Also for streaming Netflix, etc. Maybe some PS4 use. Been reading the forums about some popular Sony, Sennheiser, Audio Technica, etc. in regards to comfort. Short lists for under $100? Over $100, don't want to go over $200. Any recommendations or things to stay clear from? Are those refurbished 558's a good deal? Are the MD1R legit? What Beyerdynamic model would be best? I am partial deaf in my right ear so sound I do not have the best ears to enjoy the certain components of higher stereo quality. I got the Koss's for the mono switch because of that reason. Anyway thanks in advance for any free advice or suggestions. You guys are great.

is there anything you don't like about the sound of the prodj100s?

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 10
MDR1R is a pretty good choice from what I hear. Probably more comfortable than the M50x. You probably won't want to do this but one thing I do sometimes is take my K271 MK II and attach an aftermarket 3 ft cable to them, and then they can be used portably. They're too big to put around the neck and don't fold though. Not really designed for such a thing.

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 10

is there anything you don't like about the sound of the prodj100s?

They are really ok, they have enough bass, would like a little more but not lacking enough for it to be a major complaint.  Could have crisper highs and lows seem jumbled, kind of cramped. Or maybe that is just due to lack of comfort. However, for the price I really can't complain about the sound.  For the price I think they are fine.  I am just looking for something more comfortable with a straight cord this time.  I came to the conclusion comfort is the key for me.

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5 of 10

Both MDR-1R and Philips Uptowns are very comfortable headphones.
Uptowns are cheaper and have a slight edge in terms of comfort for me, but it's not on pair with MDR-1R in terms of sound quality.

You could also read about Takstar Pro 80 + HM5 Pads.

Best Luck!

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 10

Both MDR-1R and Philips Uptowns are very comfortable headphones.
Uptowns are cheaper and have a slight edge in terms of comfort for me, but it's not on pair with MDR-1R in terms of sound quality.

You could also read about Takstar Pro 80 + HM5 Pads.

Best Luck!

Thank for the thoughtful information, I see there are a couple different models, any one better than the other, or one you would or wouldn't recommend?

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 10

The hd 558 is an open headphone so theres no way you're using that as a portable(no isolation at all)

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 10
  Thank for the thoughtful information, I see there are a couple different models, any one better than the other, or one you would or wouldn't recommend?

MDR 1R are sweet sounding headphones, pretty balanced with a slight mid bass boost and very soft treble. They render guitars quite well and provide a good soundstage for closed back headphones at their price point. Far from being analytic headphones, they offer a relaxed and smooth presentation that works well with very different recordings.

Pro 80s are probably more neutral from bass to treble. These are a bit brighter/more detailed, but I'm not sure how much the more comfortable HM5 pads darken the treble. If you are interested you should ask in the Takstar,Gemini,etc... thread.

You can't go wrong with any of them. Takstars are probably a bit sturdier while Sonys are more luxurious in appearance.

Best Luck!

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 10
You could try getting new pads for the Koss DJ100's. Shure 840 pads(super comfortable but changes the sound slightly makes it more closed off), or ATH-M50 pads(less comfortable than Shure 840 pads but supposed to make the Koss sound the best).

Otherwise MDR-1R is the most comfortable out of the ones mentioned other than maybe using the HM5 pads(but those are giant and ugly) or the open Sennheisers(which leak sound).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back