Most comfortable IEMs
Feb 1, 2006 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JJ15k

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I am looking for the most comfortable IEM around 200$, the only other requirement would be a SQ at least as good as my pxc250.
I would appreciate some suggestions.
Thanks
JJ

Feb 1, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 20
Honestly I don't think you can get it done for $200. It my experiance you have to spend %50-%100 more on IEM's to get the sound of cans. And really if you want them to sound like really good cans (can't remember how the Senns sound) then your gonna have to drop $500-$800.

There's not really any really good sounding IEM's for $200. At $250-$300 you've got all sorts of options. Super.fi 5 pro's, UM-2's Ety EP4's, Shure E-4's. I think you might be able to find Super.fi 5's for $200 if you look well enough. That I think would be your best bet. Weather or not they sound as good as your Senn's I don't know.

BEWARE of the "Chase the sound IEM game" where you start with some E-2's and hate them and buy some UM-1's and they're ok but not great then you buy E-3's, and on and on....and then your up to the $250-$300 range when you finally find you like UM-2's or Ety's like the rest of us. By then its too late for you wallet. I'd either buy some cheaper Sony's cause you know your not going to get the same sound as your cans, or buy the Super.fi 5's, UM-2's or Ety EP-4s and be done with it.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 20
Having owned or tried Shure E3 & E4, Ety ER4, UE Super.fi 5 and UM2…I can honestly say that the comply tips and the way the UM2 sits in your lobe, that they are without question the most comfortable universal fit IEM. The comply tips don't goes as far into your ear as the foamies that come with most of the others so isolation might be a little less.

I also feel that they are the lowest profile of the above mentioned.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter
Honestly I don't think you can get it done for $200. It my experiance you have to spend %50-%100 more on IEM's to get the sound of cans. And really if you want them to sound like really good cans (can't remember how the Senns sound) then your gonna have to drop $500-$800.

There's not really any really good sounding IEM's for $200. At $250-$300 you've got all sorts of options. Super.fi 5 pro's, UM-2's Ety EP4's, Shure E-4's. I think you might be able to find Super.fi 5's for $200 if you look well enough. That I think would be your best bet. Weather or not they sound as good as your Senn's I don't know.

BEWARE of the "Chase the sound IEM game" where you start with some E-2's and hate them and buy some UM-1's and they're ok but not great then you buy E-3's, and on and on....and then your up to the $250-$300 range when you finally find you like UM-2's or Ety's like the rest of us. By then its too late for you wallet. I'd either buy some cheaper Sony's cause you know your not going to get the same sound as your cans, or buy the Super.fi 5's, UM-2's or Ety EP-4s and be done with it.

PXC-250 sound, by all accounts, is worth nowhere near its price. You're paying for the noise cancellation. The sound is on the same kind of levels as PX100, I think. You're right that $200 isn't a great price point for IEMs, though you can find ER4s around that price sometimes, and they should do the job.

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seufari
I have never tried it but would suggest the UM2. Great comfort supposedly, pretty good sound, just a tad over $200. Definately worth a look.

Where can you get them at a tad over $200.00??

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 20
Idealsound on ebay has a best offer option. I've seen them got for $219 or so. That said, the PX200 series headphones are 'not good.' I consider my 200s to be poorer than my super.fi 3s. The isolation sucks in comparision, although it's good enough for walking around. The sound is boring and flat, although it's good enough for walking around. The folding up is cool, it's only 4 times the size of my IEM container. All in all, any of the Etyomotics or Super.fi would be a step up and the Shures about th e2s would be great as well.

Feb 2, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 20
I don't know how the E4's could be said to be especially comfortable....?

Anyways, another vote for the UM2....very comfortable canalphone. In terms of sound quality, I might actually have preferred the E4's, if they were as comfortable- but the UM2's were so much more comfortable, that for me, the comfort advantage outweighed the slight preference I had for the E4's sound.

Feb 2, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #15 of 20
Well, The senns aren t bad, but they re not that good by any means, Yeah they are overpriced although I got a good deal on them(bought used from germany).
For now seems like the UM2 and Superfi pro are the closest to what I m looking for..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back