Most Comfortable IEM within the $150-250 range?
Jan 6, 2010 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

authority11

New Head-Fier
I know a lot of emphasis is placed on SQ when reviewing IEMS (and rightly so). However, physical comfort is a huge factor for me, and while I know there isn't one "right answer" in this regard, I was wondering if there was a popular IEM within the $150-250 price range that many people find to be the most comfortable. Thanks!

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 22
what music do you listen to and what kind of sound do you prefer?

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy.Wong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what music do you listen to and what kind of sound do you prefer?

I listen to mostly alternative rock/piano rock (Coldplay, The Killers, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, U2 etc. ) as well as classical.

As far as sound, I'm pretty much an audiophile n00b at this point so I'm not really sure what to say, but I despise sibilance and I'm not a basshead.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #5 of 22
i haven't heard the westone um2 or w2 but in terms of comfort i think that westone excels among iem's IMO

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 22
Ultimate Ears frankenbolts aside, I find most IEMs satisfactory if they have foamies.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bik2101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i haven't heard the westone um2 or w2 but in terms of comfort i think that westone excels among iem's IMO

Agreed! Westones are the most comfortable IEMs I've ever owned, and by some margin. They're proper In Ear Monitors, rather than canal phones which tend to have a much shallower insertion and a bit less isolation. I personally find in-ears more comfortable than canalphones.

The UM2 is quite a warm sounding earphone, more focused towards the mids and bass. I personally love the sound of the UM2, but some people find them a bit bass-heavy or "muddy", so if you're looking for something neutral they might not be your cup of tea.

Jan 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 22
Personally, I find q-jays to be the most comfortable IEM I've ever worn. They are really small and light and you will hardly even feel them in your ear. Westone IEMs are nice too, but not quite as ultimately comfortable as q-jays IMO. Another one to consider is UE 700 since it is about as small and light as q-jays. Search the net for review of the two - there are several thorough comparisons between them out there. Q-jays will do classical and rock quite well - they got excellent, sparkly treble and very solid, deep, punchy bass with detailed mids in between. I never heard the UE700, so can't comment on them.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 22
The RE252 is supremely comfortable, buy oddly enough I think you have to have the right kind of ears for them. They would be a good match with your musical genres but it's hard to say if they will be comfy for you unless you give them a go. I have average size and shaped ears and they work beautifully for me.

Jan 6, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #12 of 22
just look at my avatar. Either one (+ the S4) easily beat any other iem I've had in terms of comfort.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 22
Just out of curiosity wouldn't a set of customs beat just about any universal when it comes to comfort?

For right in the middle of this price range you could pick up a decent BA headphone and have it reshelled into a custom.

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just look at my avatar. Either one (+ the S4) easily beat any other iem I've had in terms of comfort.

x2

Image X10 is very small, light and comfortable.

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 22
i know alot of people here are going to disagree with my recommendation. But if comfort is your top priority get the BOSE TRIPORTS (sub 100). within a few minutes they warm up to body temperature and you don't feel them at all anymore. (i used to own them)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back