Most comfortable IEM cable?
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BananaOoyoo

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got my new CIEM, and the cable it came with (a KZ braided one) isn't really cutting it, so I'm looking for a new 2-pin IEM cable.

For the IEM cable, I'm looking for:
  1. <$200 (I'm specifically looking to splurge a bit, but I'd rather not spend too much.)
  2. Comfortable (No preference for/against ear guides/wires, and I definitely want something sturdy, but I'd like to avoid cables that are too bulky or stiff.)
  3. Aesthetically pleasing (So nothing too weird? Also would like a cable that isn't too prone to oxidation.)
I really like the cable that comes with the Magaosi X3 if anyone's tried that, but it only comes with MMCX connectors.

Any help would be great! Thanks :slight_smile:

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi BananaOoyoo,

I am curious what CIEM you are using so I can help fine tune your choices.

But I would suggest the following in no particular order :

Arete or Lune cable from Null Audio (Both are comfortable & give nice tuning over most stock sound)
VE SPC or Junkosha Wire 8 from VE Clan (Definitely sturdy)
OS 849, GS 849, GD 849 from Penon-official.com

Hope you have a great day !

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey, thanks! The cable would be for a Jomo Samba CIEM. I definitely like the Null Audio Lune cable (there's one with the AAW AXH demo in a local store), but I am a bit worried about how quickly that one seemed to oxidize. Perhaps the Mk.V is better on that end?

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Hey, thanks! The cable would be for a Jomo Samba CIEM. I definitely like the Null Audio Lune cable (there's one with the AAW AXH demo in a local store), but I am a bit worried about how quickly that one seemed to oxidize. Perhaps the Mk.V is better on that end?

Nice CIEM from all reports, how are you finding it?
Unfortunately I don't have experience with any Jomo CIEMs so I can't directly recommend but I have played with a few others, particular the Universal versions & am also quite familiar with the AAW A series.

As to the Lune cable, depending on whether it is the old or new version used as a demo piece, I've been told there are minor tuning differences but as I only have the new version, I can't comment on how the old one sounds.
I have also heard another reason among many they changed the cable was some prior in the line did have oxidisation issues though it was certainly uncommon to rare.
Not to mention there may be other factors which may have lead to oxidisation, eg excessive skin oils, unclean cable &/or external influence, excessive handling, age, etc but then I'm only speculating.
In case you're wondering, my cable is perfectly fine, in asthetics & sound.

Overall, be interested to know how you go.

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Nice CIEM from all reports, how are you finding it?
Unfortunately I don't have experience with any Jomo CIEMs so I can't directly recommend but I have played with a few others, particular the Universal versions & am also quite familiar with the AAW A series.

As to the Lune cable, depending on whether it is the old or new version used as a demo piece, I've been told there are minor tuning differences but as I only have the new version, I can't comment on how the old one sounds.
I have also heard another reason among many they changed the cable was some prior in the line did have oxidisation issues though it was certainly uncommon to rare.
Not to mention there may be other factors which may have lead to oxidisation, eg excessive skin oils, unclean cable &/or external influence, excessive handling, age, etc but then I'm only speculating.
In case you're wondering, my cable is perfectly fine, in asthetics & sound.

Overall, be interested to know how you go.

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind! I actually just sent in the Samba for re-fitting because of slight fit issues, so I haven't had too much time with them, but my initial impressions are very positive. (My hope is to order a new cable during the next few weeks so that the Samba and the cable will both be ready to go when the refitting is complete.)

I'll be taking a look at what's available in HK, as I'll be there for a bit later this month, and I'll also keep an eye out for any Black Friday deals that might pop up, but that Lune cable is definitely near the top of my list! On a side note, how comfortable is the Arete vs. the Lune? (The cable doesn't look as soft...?)

Nov 2, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 7
HI @BananaOoyoo,

Refits are among many reasons why I don't go for customs as a general rule but can still appreciate customs for what they offer so maybe one day but that's personal & subjective.
The important thing here is your impressions are faviourable & that's what counts.

Hope you find what you need, cable wise, just for your info, Black Friday Deals generally don't apply to custom &/or aftermarket cables unless the dealer &/or manufacturer supports it so I wouldn't hold your breath there but doesn't hurt to check on occasion.

Penon, among others, has a few dealers in HK which are easy enough to find though whether they have what you may be after is a different story but once again, doesn't hurt to look...

Arete & Lune, given they are both made by Null Audio, are very comfortable which is the reason why I have them in the first place & I have no issues with fit either though in terms of value, Arete as a custom cable is hard to beat in overall value for what it offers, IEM dependant & source dependant, of course.
Looks aren't everything, while it certainly helps, sound & comfort are more important where cables are concerned especially when it comes to fine tuning the sound.
As an example, VE Clan SPC cable is among the 'better' cheaper 'custom' cables I have come across though it doesn't look like much but keep in mind this is subjective & personal.
So in answer, the Arete actually has a softer, almost floppy overall cable than the Line for various reasons but essentially they are similar if not the same in feel.

As said, be interested to know how things turn out for you.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 7
My lune mk.iv turned a wonderful shade of blue at the top half of the wires. It looks weird but matches my UE tf10 color haha. I also have the mk.v and its only been 2 months and its changing colors too. I'd still recommend them any day though, add a nice flavor to the highs with the mk.iv and a nice thump in the bass area for the mk.v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back