Most Comfortable High End IEM?
Mar 24, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #31 of 38
is custom moulds only available for balanced armatures or can dynamics like ie8 be put in as well?

right now, i did a quick search and it seems that only the ck10, se530, tf10, and um3x seem to have the custom shells.

i love the sound sig of the ie8, bass, treble, etc, but what good is headphones if i cant stand using them for more than an hour..

May 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #32 of 38
I also vote for Westone. Westone 2 will deliver on the sound and the comfort. The price should be pretty decent, especially if you pick up a used one.

May 7, 2010 at 9:42 AM Post #33 of 38
hmm.. for comfortwise westones are the best. Might consider the earsonics to. I'm using the ie8 too, but wearing it upside down, since i like it better that way. lol

May 7, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #34 of 38
The CK10 is by far the most comfortable iem I have ever tried. It's also really small so good for when you want to listen laying on your bed or something similar.

May 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #35 of 38

Quote:
is custom moulds only available for balanced armatures or can dynamics like ie8 be put in as well?

right now, i did a quick search and it seems that only the ck10, se530, tf10, and um3x seem to have the custom shells.

i love the sound sig of the ie8, bass, treble, etc, but what good is headphones if i cant stand using them for more than an hour..

You'd be better off not to remould dynamic IEM. Take my words with 2 cents, as I have not remolded stuff before. The shell of dynamic IEM usually works as an acoustic chamber, so remolding those will definitely change the sound, for good or worse I  have no idea. But I'm sure, if you own something like FX-700, with tuned brass chamber and specially shaped wooden housing, you'd not even think of remolding something that looks so exquisite. And as a sidenote, the FX sounds as good as it looks. Clarity and timbre is much better than IE8. Deeper and better controlled bass. The treble has more sparkles to them too. A much more forward mid. And slightly more comfortable than IE8.

Remolding is always a risk, as you cannot guarantee for 100% percent that the sound stays the same. For BA phones, there might not be any change at all. But for dynamics phones, I am pretty sure when you change the acoustic chamber, not much chance the sound will stay the same.

May 7, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #36 of 38

Quote:

ACS has done custom tips for the IE8, search for it

May 7, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #37 of 38
CK10, CK90Pro (have to mod them), GR8, and SM3 are all very comfy.  I did find the e-Q7 was also very comfortable in my ears.  As far as sound quality goes, the SM3 will be a step up from your IE8, giving the same soundstage width and similar sound signature, but with everything else being better!  The biggest issue with the SM3 is they come with one size of ear tips, so aftermarket tips are probably a must.  I have some "different" ones on order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back