Most Comfortable High-End Headphones (for users with glasses)?
Feb 10, 2014 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

walczyk

New Head-Fier
I have glasses and I've worn grados for years and well, my ears hurt after awhile since they press my ear lobes against my glasses. I was looking at the HiFiMan HE-500s they looked comfortable from what I saw. The Grado GS-1000 looks more comfortable than, say, the rs1i, but the GS-1000 is out of my price range. So, assuming $700 is my tentative limit, what headphones have you used that were comfortable for those of us who wear glasses?

Feb 10, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 8
stax are very comfortable though it looks somewhat awkward to fit on your head.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Comfort is heavily dependent on the person and type of glasses, but I have never had an issue with my glasses with the Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium, Sennheiser HD650, and HiFiMan HE-500.  For reference, I wear glasses almost 100% of the time I'm listening to those headphones. 

That said, if there is any way you can try them out before you buy, that would be the best option. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 8
For me, my glasses aren't so much a problem as the weight of the HE-500 is.

As for most comfortable headphone I've ever owned, Shure SRH-1840, hands down.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks all for the replies. Stax are out my price range for sure. I'm glad people are saying the HE-500s are comfortable, they looked like it by eye. The DT-990 Premiums also looked very comfortable so I'm glad those popped up too. Can anyone confirm issues with wearing glasses and Grados? Am I an outlier when it comes to pain from wearing these for too long? @GaryWA did the weight hurt your ears, or moreso the weight was uncomfortable on your head/neck?

Feb 11, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 8
  Thanks all for the replies. Stax are out my price range for sure. I'm glad people are saying the HE-500s are comfortable, they looked like it by eye. The DT-990 Premiums also looked very comfortable so I'm glad those popped up too. Can anyone confirm issues with wearing glasses and Grados? Am I an outlier when it comes to pain from wearing these for too long? @GaryWA did the weight hurt your ears, or moreso the weight was uncomfortable on your head/neck?

Let's just say my neck was sore for a couple weeks after I got them :)

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 8

The least comfortable headphones I've tried are the Abyss headphones. ( the clamp and the fit is a joke with that headphone)
I haven't had major issues with me and my Grado SR325Is (I wear glasses) although all Grados tend to have bad comfort for everyone compared to something like a HD800.
The only headgear I had problems with because of wearing glasses were B&O earphones.

btw for the Stax, headphones themselves aren't out of your price range.

Feb 11, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 8
For me (I wear glasses too), the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried/owned is the Stax SR-009 and the Sennheiser HD800. I had great problems from wearing Grados, they clamp painfully on the frames of my glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back