most comfortable + best sound headphones
Dec 30, 2004 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dano1122

100+ Head-Fier
ok, i'm coming from grado sr225's which have great clarity and sweet midrange and good punch but i get tired of wearing the headphones for more then a couple hours. it feels like the outer edges of my ears are being squished and it also has a very upfront sound like a speaker is literally sitting on your ear. i'm looking for a new headphone which meets the following criteria. very comfortable swallowing my whole ear and not squishing or flexing my ear cartlidge, amazing sound with the kind of sound where it feels like you're sitting in a movie theater where the soundstage and the detail is awesome but it also doesn't sound too upfront where you feel like a boombox is sitting on your shoulder. my listening tastes are diverse and include rock, trance, metal, classical and i also do pc gaming. what would you all recommend? thanks!

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 17
price range?

or else I'll start recommending some very high end cans to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 17
Whats your budget?

IMHO DT770-80 meets about half your criteria. Very comfey IMHO, completely surrounds the ear. I wear mine all day. Great for PC gaming, movies, classic rock, metal and prog rock. Classical though... Might fall short. It is after all a closed can so its a very immediate, precise sound. The distance, image and spatial ambiance comes from the recorded material... nothing added by the DT770. It does have its soundstage/image but its not as wide spread as other open cans. It does have lots of bass
basshead.gif
too which may or may not be to your liking.

Sounds great at low volumes too... its tonal balance/spectrum doesnt change at low volumes. Unlike my KSC75 where the bass seems to disappear at low volumes.

Garrett

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 17
Ay, I don't he wants a pair of R10s or high-end electrostats.
tongue.gif

Well, just to throw some names out, my choice would be the Sennheiser HD580/600/650 series for the grado complement (they have the faux-speaker thing going on). But you kinda need a powerul synergistic amp. The Audio Technica Ath-A900 is also a highly recommended phone. It even sounds good unamped they say.

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 17
i wan't open air headphones and price range hopefully not more then 300.

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 17
The Sennheiser HD580, HD600, or HD650 sound great and are all very comfortable although they all need to be amped for the best sound.

-Keith

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 17
i do have an amp that runs with dual opa627 for my grado's if that will help with recommendations.

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
i do have an amp that runs with dual opa627 for my grado's if that will help with recommendations.

What kind of amp?

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 17
These are the most unanswerable questions you could've asked as each is a personal preference. You'll get various answers because people have a different take on best comfort and sound.

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 17
shellbrook audio pimeta

Dec 30, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 17
yeah i know lan but maybe someone out their can identify with me. or maybe you can tell me where they will let me loan out a number of high end headphones so i can test them at my home for a week with my equipment.

Dec 31, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 17
Try contacting Head-Fi sponsers Todd the Vinyl Junkie or Headroom. I believe that they'll let you demo headphones, as long as you eventually purchase one of them from them (though contact them for details, I could be completely wrong). You could also try local hi-fi shops, though they probably won't have the best price or selection. Guitar Center (a pro-audio chain) also carries some headphones and has a great return policy.

Dec 31, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #15 of 17
bump for additional help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back