Most comfortable & bass under $600?
Aug 6, 2014 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

soundslikebliss

Head-Fier
What I'm looking for:
Fun sound signature; ability to FEEL bass.   Comfort!  Under $600.  Preferably low leakage & easy to drive.

These are my current favorites (in order), but they're all missing something.
  • Monster Inspiration -  By far my favorite sound signature, but can't wear for too long; they hurt!
  • DT770 80 ohm - Nice sound sig, comfortable.  Good sub bass, but upper bass is lacking to me, and they are a tiny bit hard to drive (constantly at max through MPB or iPhone, and I don't like having to take out my amp)
  • Denon D2000 - Amazing comfort, amazing bass, but to get the bass to the level that I like, the treble pierces my ears so much it just ruins them ):  Soundstage is a nice bonus too, but not a priority.
  • Ultrasone Pro 900 - BOY OH BOY that bass!  Though they lack midrange? Sound very hollow. 
  • DT990 32 ohm - Most comfortable headphone, I enjoy the sound signature, but the bass doesn't thump. 
  • V-Moda M-100 - Close to the sound signature I like, but bad comfort. XL pads improve comfort somewhat.  And they are also fatiguing to me.

Interested in Phillips X1, hifiman he400, HD650... but being open cans, they all seem like they wont have skull shaking bass that I like.  Not sure where else to look. 

I just want to end this addiction hunt once and for all!  Any recommendations? 

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi,

You should consider Yamaha Pro 500

Best Luck!

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Just tried out the yamaha pro 500's at a local store.  They're nowhere near what I expected.  They were close to what I like, but still not enough bass haha.  And they weren't the most comfortable. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 12
JVC HA-SZ2000 are supposed to be THE basshead cans

I tried them and didn't think it had all that much bass. Other than the Crusher I'd recommend the old stalwart, XB500. It's got massive bass and is incredibly comfortable. Takes to EQ well too. If you really wamma spend more, the XB1000 should do the trick for ya

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #10 of 12
  JVC HA-SZ2000 are supposed to be THE basshead cans

I tried them and didn't think it had all that much bass. Other than the Crusher I'd recommend the old stalwart, XB500. It's got massive bass and is incredibly comfortable. Takes to EQ well too. If you really wamma spend more, the XB1000 should do the trick for ya

I've heard mixed things about the SZ2000...  Once I heard they are THE bassiest, and another time I heard that they are IF you properly EQ them.  I just wanna plug in and play without worrying about an EQ.

Been so long since I've listened to the XB line.  Will have to try them out again.  Thanks! 

Denon D600?

I've listened to these for like 10 minutes at some airport and I just remember that they weren't for me.   Appreciate the suggestion! 

Aug 11, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 12
I think X1 should be on your to-buy list.

I've tried many of the go-to basshead cans, pro 900, M-100, D2000, X1, HE400, SIG DJ, Fostex 600, Pro 2900, Pro 750, Hifi780, I can keep going...

The X1 achieves nice bass which doesn't ruin/drown out the rest of the music. You won't get more bass than your Pro 900, which I would say is one of the bassiest cans available when amped up well. But turn on a bassy track and the X1 will pump it out to impressive levels. The bass is a touch loose in texture, but enjoyable nevertheless. It also doesn't have a fatiguing treble, but it's not overly dark either. It's a very nicely tuned headphone for enjoying music.

Plus, the comfort is right up there with the best of them. HE400 is huge, bulky, and heavy compared to the X1. Didn't like the heaviness and looks of those at all. The X1 looks much more modern.

I really think you should try the X1, get a good quality DAC/AMP to go with them, and enjoy.

No such thing as a perfect headphone. Remember that, but you can find a sound you enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back