most comfortable <$100
Mar 25, 2003 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kaeric

New Head-Fier
What do you guys think are the most comfortable headphones to wear for long periods of time (as in a car) for under $100?

Mar 25, 2003 at 3:06 AM Post #2 of 11
Ive had no other experience besides my d66 eggos, but these thing fit like a glove.
smily_headphones1.gif
very very comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #3 of 11
The eggo earpads leave's sumtin to be desire tho...especially if you got dry skin..makes my ears itchy sometimes. Most comfortable by far under 100 bux is the Sony V6 with Beyerdynamic DT250 Earpads. Also I think Grado SR60 with comfies come pretty close too.

Mar 25, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 11
when it comes to comfort, i have to go with open-air designs. every closed design i have tried for any extended listening session has caused my ears to get hot or fatigued.

for me, the koss ksc-35 earclips are the most comfortable. i sleep with these on occasionally. incredibly light, and no pinching or aching feelings whatsoever. never makes my ears hot or fatigued, either. these could stay on my ears permanently, and I would not feel a thing. the successor to the ksc-35, the ksc-50, is also quite comfortable after an initial week or so of earlobe ache. however, they fit much looser and are not of the same caliber as the ksc-35 in terms of comfort (or sound).

i also find the sennheiser mx500 to be very comfortable. the foam on the earbuds alleviate any sort of pain typical of non-covered buds. i could wear the mx500 for 5+ hours and not feel a thing.

the portapros are also comfortable, but they can get a little hot and fatiguing after several hours of use.

of the closed-design headphones under $100, i'd say the mdr-v6 with the beyer dt250 velour pads is pretty light and comfortable, with very little pinching, though they do get hot after a while. without the velour pads, the mdr-v6 is supra-aural to my ears, and not very comfortable for long sessions at all. they begin irritating me after about 3-4 hours (with the velour pads). you shouldn't be driving with mdr-v6's on, however (due to noise isolation issues).

the eggo d66 were also pretty comfy, though i've only tried them for a brief period of time and can't say with certainty about having them on for long periods of time. i would estimate from my experience that they would be really comfy for up to about 2-3 hour sessions.

Mar 25, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 11
I find the D66 comfortable, and Lobster's estimation is fairly accurate for me. However I find it impossible to wear a headphone for more than 3 hours in a row.

Mar 25, 2003 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by AIM9x
KSC-35s if you can find them. After about 10 min, you forget you're wearing headphones.

"HOLY %^&$@#! Where is that MUSIC coming from?!?"

Ah, the perils of forgetting your headphones.

I can wear the d66s for about 4 hours, the only discomfort is in the thin front band, which is doing its best to create a small trough in the center of my head. I don't find the earcups itchy (and I'm super touchy, with excema and lots of contact allergies) or hot while they are on, though my ears do feel cold once I pull them off.
smily_headphones1.gif

Moved from KSC-50 to the Eggos and the Eggos get my nod. Haven't tried the KSC-35 for more than ten minutes, but initially they felt lighter...

Mar 25, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 11
I have found that the D66s, although very comfortable when I first put them on, sometimes ear-itates
very_evil_smiley.gif
my outer ear. It may be that my ears are just a bit too big for the cups. It doesn't happen every time which suggests I just need to learn how to position them.

I also use the PX200s a lot and have found them very comfortable. They are the only cans I have that give me that "don't even know they're there" feeling. However, once summer comes along their closed nature might make my ears hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back