most bassy in ear can that's not a canalphone?
Jan 20, 2006 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

harkamus

500+ Head-Fier
First off, I haven't lurked in headfi forums in months. I did it!
biggrin.gif
Second off, I've always been a basshead. My cans of choice are the DT 770 non/pros for home paired to a PPA amp. However, I'm soon to be getting an iPod Shuffle due to a gift card I got for my 21st birthday. My question for you guys is which in ear headphone has the most bass that's not a canalphone. Out of a quick search I came up with the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro. At this point I won't be using an amp. I thought about amping the Shuffle, but that defeats the purpose of portable for me. I may in the future build a mini Pimeta where the Shuffle fits inside the Pimeta case. We'll see.

Thanks for your help. I'm living proof that you can stay away from headfi. :p

Oh yeah...
basshead.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #2 of 17
Hmm, UE super.fi 5 Pro is still a canal phone, but does not go as deep as Shure, Ety, or Westone. It just sits outside of the canal region. If you want the bass, it is no doubt the UE Super.fi 5 EB.

If you want an in-ear that has tons of bass, you should look at Sony MDR-EX71.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 17
OK, I was thinking of Etys when I thought of canal phones. The UE should serve me well, but which is considered to be more bassy, the UE Super.fi 5 Pro or the Super.fi 5 EB? I noticed the EB is shaped differently. From a comfort stand point I would prefer the Pros.

Thoughts?

Jan 20, 2006 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 17
UE super.fi 5eb is the official
basshead.gif
IEM. Much more bass than the 5pro.

And I agree with you, it's not the same style of deep canalphone as the Etymotics. Super.fis don't go in much further in your ear than the Sony ex71 or Panasonic HJE50.

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by carlosgp
How Super.Fi 5 EB isolate compared with other IEMs?

If you use the foam tips that are supplied, they will block out most of the sound, like other IEM's.

Jan 20, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 17
OK, I'm confused. Doesn't In Ear Headphones = Canalphone?

a.k.a. Inner Ear Monitor (IEM)

But yeah, most bassy I've heard is the Super.Fi 5 EB. Although there has been some fussing over Headbanger Ear sub something rather at Anandtech for some reason.

Most accurate with the most bass, the Shure E500.

-Ed

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by harkamus
How are the EBs unamped?

5EB performs well without an AMP. I've just put my 5EBs into my ears after reading your message.
eggosmile.gif
If you are a true basshead, 5EB won't let you down.

However if affordable, the UE-Hybrid should be the best bassy monster.
basshead.gif

icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 17
Another vote for Super.Fi 5 EB. If you are a true basshead, I seriously doubt that any other IEM available today will scratch your itch, but the Super.Fi 5 EB will (at least enough for you to be satisfied). So IMO, look no further than Super.Fi 5 EB.

basshead.gif

P.S. I never heard the 'Headbangers' but they are cheap enough that you could give them a shot and if you don't like them get your money back. Although I haven't heard them yet, I seriously doubt they sound any better than a bloated wet fart... I will have to try them out for myself and see If my theory is correct or not.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 17
An in-ear phone and a canalphone are the same thing.

Perhaps when you say that you consider the Etymotics canalphones, you are referring to the fact that the Etymotics come with tri-flange tips. This is not a big deal. The Shure soft flex tips do not go in much further than the super.fi's, and the Etymotics can take those soft flex tips, as well as the Westones.

Having said this that is irrelevant since the super.fi EB is universally agreed to have excessive bass and the EB probably means extra bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back