Most appropriate Amp for Sennheiser HD650
Jul 4, 2005 at 7:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

morose-

Head-Fier
This is a really simple question from a total ignorant regarding this material.
I just bought Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I of course think they're grand, but my impression is that I can get the most out of them by using an amp with them. So I am quite frankly asking from some advice as to an amp to purchase. I use the cans most on my computer, but I would like to be able to use it elsewhere (is that even possible) if I may. I know that some can get incredibly expensive. I would like to remain at about 300$ if at all possible. (Ha, I thought that if I forked over the cash for the cans I would be set. Guess not.)

Again, I won't understand any technical jargon. If you guys (and girls) could just tell me what I should buy.

Thanks again

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 14
I just posted something rather similar to your thread..Yeah, the HD650's dont impress me at all out of the box. First, I'am only using the PA2V2 so let me guess...Thats the reason why i dont seem to get the most out of the headphones? The sound erm....well, i dont know what to say it just doesn't sound right....Playing LISA ONO's Cest' Si Bon on my HD650 and Shure E5c out of the PA2V2 from my CDP, its kinda like a Day and "Late Afternoon"
icon10.gif
difference..( Its not yet Day and NIght cause the diff isn't that great)....The E5's sounded so much more well defined, being clearer and strangely, offers what i would say a better sound stage. I mean, its so easy to differentiate distant drums and vocals or whatever it is near to you or further away from you as for the HD650, everything seems to be kinda muffled by the much stronger bass and the soundstage is there but then again not there....Damn....I dont know how to describe it...In a nutshell, using NEWBIE "TECHNICAL JARGON" the Shure E5c's just sound better, a whole lot better.....
confused.gif

So I too need a recommendation on a decent amp to match my HD650s...

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 14
Gilmore Lite
SuperMacro 3
SR71
Head Room Micro

You might Also want to consider the ucoming offerings from Ray and Justin, which would be the Hornet and the AE1 respectively. That said, you might want to upgrade your source and/or recordings.

Welcome to HeadFi, Sorry about your wallet.

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

That said, you might want to upgrade your source and/or recordings.

Yeah I agree, you will probably want to jump over to the Computers-as Source Components Forum, and ask about sound card, and DAC upgrades first. With your budget you will probably have enough left over for a PI-META also.

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #5 of 14
I have the 650s and I really like them even after owning a same level can - the SA5000. Out of all my headphone purchases, this is my best one. I like the balance - it sounds great to me out of the box and I dont believe in burn in.

The air, the quickness, the swift bass.... sooo nice.

I am getting a SinglePower PPX with SLAM in the next few days... check it out.

www.singlepower.com

biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by morose-
Again, I won't understand any technical jargon. If you guys (and girls) could just tell me what I should buy.
Thanks again

The most appropriate amp for the HD650, according to this forum is the FOTM. How can you go wrong if everyone's swooning over the same thing?

Seriously, there's no one correct generic answer. Take your music and headphones to a head-fi meet and try everything out. That's the best advice.

Oh. (blatent self promotion) You can't go wrong with a PPA. I've got a v1.1 for sale if you're interested. PM/Email.

Jul 4, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by razer
I just posted something rather similar to your thread..Yeah, the HD650's dont impress me at all out of the box.

Yes you need an amp, but you need to let the cans burn in for 150+ hours before they are going to sound right. They will clear up, be very detailed and seem right but until then they are going to go through many changes and you may doubt your purchase. Burn them in for 150-200 hours and you will have a smile on your face.

That being said, you should get an amp.

dshea

Jul 4, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 14
Grrrrr.....I can't wait...
600smile.gif
I've got like at most 50+ hours so far.....

Jul 4, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 14
I know, I've got about 40+ hours on my 580's, and I'm wondering how they'll change w/ break-in...

Jul 4, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm sorry, but I don't understand the acronyms you are refering to. The FOTM?

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 14
I think Rega Ear sounds great with 650. I don't have any known amplifiers to compare it with but it beated both Chinese amps I tried. Original Master and V.A.L. E-10 (tube amp). Master was almost as good as Ear but E-10 lost on every aspect.

Rega is also pretty cheap option. Mine cost 210EUR new.

I just wanted to mention Ear because it's never mentioned by anyone.
600smile.gif

OT:

Is here anyone who has RudiStor RP3 with HD650? That amp looks very interesting. I wonder how it sounds?

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #13 of 14
200 hours will not completely clean up the 650 sound. My experience was about 300 hours. After that ... beautiful.

After comparing burned-in 650s with a a good number of small amps (obviously not the Headamp AE-1 or Ray Samuels Hornet -- neither yet available) I heard the best sound with the Ray Samuels SR-71.

The Portaphile V2^2 did very well also, but the SR-71 created a wider and deeper soundstage, slightly better extension at top and bottom, finer nuance and slightly richer texture. The Portaphile had slightly less extension but more punch or impact, a more forward presentation, and less plush but more lively dynamic. (check their sites for tech and price info...raysamuelsaudio.com and portaphile.com)

I don't think you could call either of these amps FOTM any more --- they've been out more than a month.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 14
If you're new to all this, head-fi can be a major distration to your enjoyment of music. May I humbly suggest, build/buy a cmoy/meta or some cheap but good quality amp. Listen to your 650 for a few months until you have a good base of what you like/dislike then go from there.

As from a recent post: What is good sound? Its whatever you enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back