Most accurate in-production headphones under $1000?
Jan 22, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #91 of 102
ER4P/S!!!! Very highly accurate & only 300 dollars

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #92 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER4P/S!!!! Very highly accurate & only 300 dollars

Sounds like you're talking about a gun at first
rolleyes.gif

In any case, amazon.com had the ER4P for $155 for the longest time now.

Jan 22, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #93 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you're talking about a gun at first
rolleyes.gif

In any case, amazon.com had the ER4P for $155 for the longest time now.

Yes, I know that's where I got mine for 155 dollars.

Jan 22, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #94 of 102
Postmodernism rules!
lambda.gif

As a published novelist and as a painter with his first one-man university show coming up this April (as well as a musician in high school and college!), I'd say that, subjectively, the most "accurate" headphones under $1000 are the humble Sennheiser HD580's.

Although you shouldn't take the word of either a subjectivist or an objectivist when it comes to something as nebulous and ephemeral as the word "accurate."

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #95 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are no "real" instruments anymore. There never have been, really. A "trumpet" is an arbitrary device that sounds different from blower to blower. Electronic music and sounds and instruments have no inherent "real" sounds for us to adjust to - they vary infinitely in sound.

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

One too many bottles of wine, sir?

Feb 1, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #96 of 102
more blog crap. IGNORE THE THREAD TITLE, I AM NO LONGER LOOKING FOR AN ACCURATE HEADPHONE, PLEASE DON'T POST ON THAT TOPIC.

Dammit, I am so good at jumping to conclusions too early on headphones... I recently mentioned that I don't find the ER-4P to just about ever sound "real," unlike my K701. Looks like this was due to the volume at which I was listening to the ER-4P. Early on in my headphone-using life, I found that, past a certain point of volume, the louder I listen to the headphone, the less "real" it sounds. Apparently, for the ER-4P, that limit is really low. At this newfound level of volume, the ER-4P is much closer to the K701 in the sense of "realness." So I add the ER-4P back into my setups.

On another topic: post-modernism is some goofy crap.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #97 of 102
...and I am back to finding the ER-4P to never sound realistic. I'm going to give up on it.

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #98 of 102
Wow, looking at your signature down there, I can tell you tried a lot of different "sound signatures," yet can never find that sweet spot.
frown.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #100 of 102
IGNORE THREAD TITLE, I NO LONGER CARE ABOUT THAT; SO DON'T GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS, DURNIT. THIS IS MUH BLOG!!

I have finally realized the greatness of the HD-595, no sarcasm. Great musical compliment to the non-euphonic K701: I will use the HD-595 when I feel like actually enjoying music instead of just listening to sound. That is all.

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #101 of 102
MORE BLOG-ISH CRAP

Turns out that maybe the K501 is the headphone for me. It has none of the problems that plague the K701 (thinness, lack of euphony, crappy rendering of cymbals and similar [well, the K501 has its own inaccurate version of cymbals and similar {I'd say less "shiny" than what is real, and a little darker}, but it is much preferable to the K701's crap], exaggerated sibilance, lack of dynamics, lack of bass, to name a few of the K701s flaws). Near-perfectly balanced sound - not bright, not bassy, not thick, not thin. And the surprising portrayal of POWER; there is a strength here behind the music that I don't hear in any of my other headphones.

The lack of flaws (that I care about) is refreshing after sticking with the K701 for so long. This headphone is superior, IMO, to the K701 in every way.

No, I didn't just buy the K501. I've had it for several months now, but did not use it for the last couple because I thought the K701 was preferable (I was probably trying to force myself to prefer the K701 given that it cost me 3 times what the K501). What got me to try the K501 seriously again was my tiring of the K701's numerous flaws. The K701 is the most flawed "good" headphone I have heard yet. The K701 seems to have been made to ruin the experience of music-listening.

I'm still curious to see what electrostatic headphones offer, so I'm going to get a Stax 0205 system, but I am where I want to be with dynamic headphones.

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #102 of 102
Interesting. How much time have you actually spent in a room with a real cymbals? I'm a drummer and have spent thousands of hours fine tuning my touch on K/A Ziljians and Paistes. As transducers go nothing actuallly gets the cymbal right but the K701 are certainly one of the closest I've heard. That is assuming your the source is accurate... and that's a VERY big assumption. A computer sound card doesn't even rate in this repect (unless you're spending a couple of grand on a Lynx in an appropriate work station). The problem isn't the K701s...it's upstream. All you are doing is attempting to mask the problem with a euphonically and pleasingly flawed headphone. A loosing proposition IMO if you are truly attempting to create a hi fidelity experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back