Most accurate, closed, isolating headphones / earphones for $100?
May 14, 2006 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Squibbles

100+ Head-Fier
I'm definitly not a bass head. I've had the PortaPros, Shure E2c, and E3c and all have been bass heavy and all have been returned. I really love the sound of the Senn PX100 but they're way too open and non isolating. I need these for the train and plane. I want something portable and sturdy enough to throw into a bag. I need something that'll be easily driven by an iPod. And last, I need it to be below around $100. It can be either headphones or earphones.

I've tried the Etymotic ER6 and they sound perfect as well. But I cannot stand the fit of IEM. They bug me too much.

May 15, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 15
AKG K81 DJ

May 15, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 15
I would say go for the Etymotic er-6i. They're incredibly accurate and highly isolating. You eventually get used to the fit - I found them unbearable at first, but now I can wear them for hours with no discomfort.

EDIT: The HD 280 is also very isolating and quite accurate, with deep but controlled bass.

May 15, 2006 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 15
In my experience the Sennheiser HD-280 is the best combination of isolation/sound quality for a circumnaural can (vs. IEM). Two caveats: One make sure, you find their fit comfortable, as they are a bit of a C-clamp. Two, you must burn them in sufficiently to get proper sound quality.
280smile.gif

May 15, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 15
One other thing I'm worried about with IEM is using them on the plane. Having a sealed ear canal with the pressure change just doesn't seem same to me. And I've read horror stories about stuck IEM or popped ear drums, etc. I'll check out the Senn HD280. I've been doing ALOT of research on the AKG K81 but they seem to be on the bass heavy side as well.

// EDIT

Wow. The senn 280 are HUGE! I'm not a fashion guru, but I just can't muster wearing these in public. Does anyone have anything more minimalistic?

May 15, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 15
I've never had problems with pressure changes and IEMs - just put them in after the plane reaches cruising altitude, since that's when you're allowed to use electronic devices (and take them off when they announce landing and tell you to turn off all devices). Besides, earplugs (like those Earplanes they sell at airports) actually help to prevent your ears getting blocked up during the flight.

Also, I would say the vast majority of IEM users don't have any problems with them getting stuck - you just have to use them with proper patience. Don't pull them out suddenly by jerking the cable. If you use a slow twisting motion to remove them, it's highly unlikely (even impossible) that the tip will get stuck in your ear.

May 15, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I would say go for the Etymotic er-6i. They're incredibly accurate and highly isolating. You eventually get used to the fit - I found them unbearable at first, but now I can wear them for hours with no discomfort.

EDIT: The HD 280 is also very isolating and quite accurate, with deep but controlled bass.

Speaking about incredible accuracy......I'd definitely vote for the ER6...not with the i. But that's me. Everybody's different.
etysmile.gif
<-------but this is the best!

May 15, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, you're gonna want to avoid the K81DJ if you find the PortaPro and E2C to be too bass heavy. Hearing you found the E3C to be too bass heavy however is curious to me seeing as they have very controlled bass.

HD280s will probably be your best bet, but I have a feeling you'll find them to have too much bass as well (closed headphones tend to have more bass than most headphones).

I would try playing with the EQ to tame the bass on whatever headphones you end up with to get the sound you want.

May 15, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 15
yyeah, I own a pair of 81 DJs and I love them, but they are definately not accurate. I've also owned Er-6i's and I found them to sound pretty good SQ, but it got really annoying to have to take them in and out when someone was trying to talk to me.

May 15, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
Hearing you found the E3C to be too bass heavy however is curious to me seeing as they have very controlled bass.

i agree, the bass does not have a very large presence

May 15, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmins
yyeah, I own a pair of 81 DJs and I love them, but they are definately not accurate. I've also owned Er-6i's and I found them to sound pretty good SQ, but it got really annoying to have to take them in and out when someone was trying to talk to me.

That's another concern. IEM are just too inconvenient.
The E3c being bassy heavy is relative the Etymotic. But I agree, compared to the E2c and PortaPros, they sound great. I don't mind having a pair of headphones like the E3c.

May 15, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #12 of 15
i agree, you might want to test out the hd280

Although its bass definitely goes very deep, it's certainly not bass heavy. I wouldn't call myself a basshead, and I typically eq it to bring out the bass deep-ness
biggrin.gif

It might be a bit too big if you're using it outside, though--I have a pretty big head and those things make it look monstrously wide
eek.gif
so I usually use my e4s for my portable headphones

May 15, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 15
For a full sized headphone around $100, I'd have to agree that the HD280 Pro is probably the best choice. Keep in mind they need about 2 weeks before they become comfortable and probably 300 hours to sound their best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back