Morgan Jones Earmax Clone tube questions
Dec 9, 2005 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

sjt78

100+ Head-Fier
I have a MJ Earmax clone (optimized) that uses 3-6DJ8 tubes. Right now I have two matched sets of tubes. One set is Amperex made in the USA, and the other is Amperex Bugle Boy made in Holland. I really like the sound of this amp, especially the midrange where female vocals really shine. The problem I have is that I wish the midrange was less pronounced/forward. It seems as though the vocals are too forward in the soundstage. I would like to have the vocals more recessed, but not lose the great sound. I notice this problem when comparing this amp to a Headamp GS-1 that I just bought. The GS-1 bests the MJ amp in certain areas, but not in the midrange. I guess it is that tube "magic" or something, but voices sound more real through the MJ. Anyway, are there any recommendations for a 6DJ8 tube that puts less focus on the midrange? Thanks.

Dec 10, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 2
I can't imagine the sound description you are giving to us. What is mids too forward? I guess you mean the high is too forward, right?
If you are in this situation, I highly recommend you to try TFK ECC88, E88CC or CCa. They are the best out of the best. Mullard, Philips and EH E88CC gold pins are also very outstanding, take these a try if you can't afford the TFK's.
Don't think about Siemens, their highs are all too bright. I hate this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back