Morgan Jones Construction Tips
Dec 5, 2005 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jbloudg20

Headphoneus Supremus
I am in the process of gathering all the parts to build my Morgan Jones amp (Digi01 PCB version) and I am looking for some tips froma few people who may have built them before.

Is there anything I should keep in mind when building this on the board?

I am using a cheap plastic case to begin with, until I have more time to dedicate to building a nicer enclosure.

I will be using the 6x4 valve for rectification, and I will be using a dedicated Allied 6K49VG for the rectifier valve, and another of the same model for the rest of the amp.

Since I am using a plastic enclosure, is there anything I should be aware of? How about grounding schemes?

I have built a few amps before, but I have yet to tackle a high voltage tube amp. I am a little nervous about the build, and just want a few tips from fellow hobbyists. I am not worried about safety concerns, I know how to be careful, I am concerned about wasting my money on an amp that won't work.

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Shoot a PM to mrdon - he just built one but may not have seen your thread. He's a pretty friendly guy, just introduce yourself and be polite about it and I'm sure he'll answer any questions that he can.

Best of luck, I too have a set of those PCBs but my DIY funds are running seriously low so they're quickly becoming an 07 project
eek.gif

Nate

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #5 of 6
I have one of these boards too, but haven't built it up yet.

If the enclosure is flimsy be careful. The tubes might get hot and cause deformation. If you plan on chassis mounting the tubes you will probably have a lot of flex when changing tubes.

The build seems fairly straight forward, so I doubt you will have a problem getting things running. People have had a lot of problems with hum, but everyone seems to have gotten it taken care of. Just have patience and prepare to experiment a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back